So how much does a pair of glasses cost?

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 06:30 am
Interesting that this thread came up again. Many years ago, I treated myself to a pair of rather expensive frames. They were not "designer" frames, but had a lifetime guarantee. After about a year, a little part of the side piece broke, and I got a new pair, no questions asked.

I think that I have changed the lenses about three times in these frames. I can't say that they look "as good as new", but come pretty damn close to it. When I need another prescription, I think that I will stilll use these frames. I like them, they suit me, and they wear like iron.

So, in my case, overall, it was probably much cheaper in the long run to buy the pricey frames.
sozobe

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 07:36 am
@Phoenix32890,
That's an interesting point actually. My current frames were somewhat avant garde when I got them -- five years ago now. I'm still happy with them. (They're pretty mainstream now -- the standard coffeehouse mama tortoiseshell rectangularish frames.)

The cheaper ones I had before these only lasted about a year and a half.
sozobe

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 07:42 am
@sozobe,
As an aside, I'm still waiting for my kid's glasses from Zenni (and shared the link with a friend whose kid seems to change prescriptions a lot, she's enthusiastic), but meanwhile she (my kid) has tried contacts and LOVES them. I can't believe how easily she's taken to them so far. She's biased because she can SEE (we were able to take the correct prescription home immediately vs. waiting for the new glasses), but she's also comfortable and loves 'em for sports especially. I didn't really expect that (I thought she'd have more squeamishness issues, she's been super-game though, pops 'em right in). So glasses may end up taking more of a backup role for her.
DrewDad

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 07:53 am
@sozobe,
Wow. Sozlet's eight or nine, now, right? I didn't know they'd let kids that young wear contacts.

Is she nearsighted?
sozobe

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 07:57 am
@DrewDad,
She's nine, yeah. I was surprised too. When we found out last May that she needed glasses, the optometrist said she thought sozlet would be ready for contacts, if she wanted them, in about a year.

I'm really shocked at how easily she's handling them.

She's nearsighted, yep.
0 Replies