Camp Namequoit Orleans MA

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2009 01:36 pm
I was a camper/counselor at Namequoit from 1974-77. Best summers of my life.
Still friends with Seth Nichols.

Drank about 10 shots of Pepperment Snaps in Chatham on my 17th birthday (thanks Froggy).

Anyone lese out there?
D Streett

Jay Edwards

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 10:16 am
Hello, Streett

I'm a 1952 Camp Namequoit summer camper. I've just posted a blog.
Do you know if there is a history of Camp Namequoit? I was probably too young at the time to appreciate the camp, but now I would love to learn more about who started the camp and its history.

Best wishes,

Jay Edwards <[email protected]>
Manuel E Yzaga

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 05:15 pm
@Scout123,
I spent a vera good summer on 1976 at Namequoit. I woods like to know if somebody keeps any pictures to shere. I want to show them to my kids. Regares from PerĂº.
Christopher Knowles

Reply Wed 5 Jun, 2013 02:06 pm
My name is Chris and I was a sailing instructor and camp counselor at Camp Tonset in Orleans during the Summer of 1967. I'm trying to locate a camp counselor from Avalon Sailing Camp in Chatham from that same Summer. Does anyone know if they have a forum anywhere?
Noel Guarino

Reply Mon 27 Jan, 2014 12:40 pm
@Jay Edwards,
Jay, My brother Bob and I, (Noel guarino) attended Namequoit from 1947 to 1953.. Bob was 4 years younger than I and was about 5 when he started. Remember all the cabin names and the sports teams, Alpha, Beta, Delta and Sigma I believe. Camp was founded by a Baton Rouge school teacher C.J. Thayer and run by his son after he passed. Their home was on Pilgrim Lake. Learned lots of sports and camp was unsurpassed for its versatility and location on both salt and fresh water. It is now a subdivision of large and beautiful homes. Did you ever sail on the Sea Jay?.. Noel Guarino [email protected] now in Ft Lauderdale, Florida

0 Replies

Boyd8th

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2017 06:55 am
I was a camper in 1944. C.J Thayer owned the camp. He was vice principal at University High at LSU in Baton Rouge. Were only about 20-30 campers that first year, many of them from BR. Still have a picture of all campers and counselors in 1944. CJ's son was Brooks. I later was a counselor for 3 years while attending LSU. Fond memories. I could write a book about it.... sailing, team sports, "walking" into South Orleans on day off as a counselor, Namequoit beating the local South Orleans baseball team, and on and on.
Jim Robins .... [email protected]
rwj1

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2017 05:50 pm
I went to Camp Namequoit Orleans,Mass. in 1952,1953,1954,1955. I'm thank full to have a picture book for each of those years and a mug with the camp name on it because I can't find anything on the computer. It's great to still see the pictures in the 1970's.
Roy Johnson ([email protected])
0 Replies

sail

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2017 04:52 pm
Do any of you remember me?? Teddy Baker
0 Replies

jkeller655

Reply Sun 15 Oct, 2017 07:37 pm
@Boyd8th,
My dad was a camper there in the 40's/50's and he graduated from U-High. I have searched to find info on this camp just to see what he would have experienced. Is there a website or online information?
Thanks!
0 Replies

dgcjrtonset

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2018 09:57 am
@Christopher Knowles,
I was a Tonset Camper in the 60's as well.. great memories.. love to get more info/ photos/ etc.. I would kill for a Tonset T shirt!!
0 Replies

hltseacrest

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2018 02:16 pm
@Manuel E Yzaga,
I have some pictures from 1944 and know a little about the camp. My husband was a counselor that summer. Would be happy to share.
0 Replies

rwj1

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2019 03:29 pm
@Christopher Knowles,
Was it Camp Quanset ? Sounds like Tonset. I went to Camp Namequoit in the 1950's for 5 summers. Sailed the inlet by the girls camp many times. Don't remember names but just ran across a letter dated 1952 from a counselor named Bill Bennett to my Dad. Just thought I'd reply to the camp names and also if Bill Bennett would read this and want the letter he wrote. Sorry I couldn't answer your question.
0 Replies

petershultz

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2020 01:32 am
Hey there Namequoitians, I too was there'67,'69 and'70. Back then the cabins had nautical names. I started out in "Schooner". Drew Cannon was one of two counselors. Brooks Thayer and Art Farnham ran the place. Jesse LeBlanc was the sailing instructor. We sailed on the N7's and the C.J. catboat in the bay and in the little wooden Turnabouts on Pilgram Lake in front of the Thayer house and the trampoline/gym/beach area. I remember many of my cabinmates. Bert Pettibone, Hank Otley, Peter Trilsch, Bill Coleman, Ken Krasne and more. Good Do Bees all! Loved it when Art would open his little store so we could pick up necessities like toothpaste and candy! Great memories. Peter Shultz here from DC.
Wacraneacfob

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2020 09:26 am
@petershultz,
I remember you AND your brothers Mike and Bob. I was a camper from 66 through 68, councelor in training 69 & 70, counselor 71 through 75+/-. You were all great tennis players and sailors.
Bert Pettibone, Hank Ottley, Eddie Vedra and their ilk were my first campers as a very green CT in Schooner. Kit Carson started as the counselor, then left and never came back (I was never told why but it was either drugs or the campers) after two weeks leaving me as defacto councelor with those little monsters. Eddie and Hank (the usual suspects) were campers in all my future cabins for the rest of my tenure at Namequoit which became a big laugh each year as cabin/camper assignments were assigned during first councelor meetings with Art Farnham. My memories of Namequoit exploits and adventures are vast and comprehensive. I'm cursed/blessed with near total recall of my past which drives my wife nuts as we've been married for thirty years (I'm not sure why she puts up with me).
petershultz

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2020 11:25 am
@Wacraneacfob,
You do remember alot although I have no brothers. I do have a sister and she was a camper at Cowasset on Buzzards Bay in the earliy sixties. I remember Eddie Vedra too. He was in my cabin in 1970 as well. Yes, there was some mischief that caused some staff not to be invited back. Sign of the times. I remember we used to go to P'town in previous years but in '70 they wouldn't take us. I liked P'town and always went to the army navy store. It was as close to a Vietnam experience as I ever got. When my mom came to pick me up at the end of the 2 month session she took me. P'town was a real artist's colony then.

Art Farnham was great. Bert and I had planned to run away and visit his sister on Nantucket (although he was from Hannibal). He backed out of the plan but I did not. I ran away one night after TAPS and made it in to Orleans where I was caught by the POLICE. The Namequoit T shirt left little question where I had come from. They took me to the station and called Art who came and spirited me back to my cabin without a stir. For the rest of the summer they pretty much let me do what I wanted. There was a long haired hippie dude in charge of the wood shop and I liked hanging out there so I got quite a few projects completed that year.

That was a really special time. Although I really didn't care for the competetive aspect of sailing ( I do remember another Shultz , Bobby? ) who stayed with Jesse down by the N7's. I believe he was very much into racing and yes was a good tennis player as well. He must be the one you thought was my brother. We only shared the same last name. I did learn to sail. I liked the little Turnabouts on the lake because they could be taken out solo. I also liked going out on the C.J. on the bay with Jesse LeBlanc at the helm, swatting enormous carnivorous horse flies. My parents had a summer house in Marshfield. They bought a sailboat and before long we had several. Sailing became a passion for me. We really were all very fortunate to have experienced summer camp.

Thank you for responding to my post. It's a pleasure to share recollections of those times.
0 Replies