Will Visitation Rights Reduce Child Support?

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 04:43 pm
Someone said that establishing visitation rights in court will reduce my child support as the dad. If so, how does this work? Is this true? If so, I should file for visitation rights next week. Does anyone know if this is true?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,820 • Replies: 3
No top replies

roger

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 05:25 pm
@nycfunction,
Not true. I've known several men ordered to pay child support, and later had the children move in with them. What a surprise when they found out several years later that they were delinquent on support payments.

Is that the only reason you would be filing for visitation rights?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 05:41 pm
@nycfunction,
You can probably look up the laws for your jurisdiction. It took about 20 seconds to google the basics for New York State - and the answer there is ... not necessarily.

http://www.traceyabloodsaw.com/child-support.html

So, don't count on visitation being established having any impact on what you are required to pay in child support. It's based on the child's needs, not your level of involvement.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 08:21 pm
@nycfunction,
The more I read in your various threads on this subject.... the more I am convinced that your real interest is getting child support payments reduced. The child seems inconsequential and more of a means to save you money.

Originally, I had empathy for you. That is quickly changing to a level of disgust. Mind you, I may be reading this wrong.

If you are as good a father as you claim...the boy would come first.
0 Replies