The Possible Death of the Republican Party

BillRM

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2008 10:25 am
The Federal Party committed suicide by not being loyal to the country during the war of 1812 placing local interests before the country as a whole.

Now a group of southern Republicans are blocking a bailout of the big three, placing their loathing for unions ahead of the welfare of the whole country in the same manner as the Federals gathering in Hartford did in 1814.

If as a result we have a collapse of the country manufacturing heart we could see as a result the death of the Republican Party in my opinion.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 1,432 • Replies: 10
No top replies

mysteryman

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2008 04:07 am
@BillRM,
Why are you placing all of the blame on the repubs?
The UAW bears some of the blame, since they have refused to make any type of concessions to help save their jobs?
The auto companies themselves also share the blame.
Their own mismanagement and stupidity has also caused this mess.

There is plenty of blame to go around, it doesnt all belong to the repub senators.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2008 04:29 am
@BillRM,
It hasn't occured to you that those Republican Senators are working for the welfare of the whole country? Honestly, we can't support an industry forever, and no one in the auto industry or its union has risen to the challenge of presenting a convincing plan for a successful operation. Have you considered the reaction of foreign manufacturors to competing with a subsidized American auto industry? You should.
BillRM

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2008 08:37 am
@roger,
No in my opinion the Southern Republican Senators are not working for the benefit of the country as a whole anymore then the Federals was working for the benefit of the country as a whole in 1814.

The only thing missing between the two situations so many years apart in history is that we had yet to find an agent of the Toyota and or the Japan government working behind the scenes to aid in the blocking of the bailout.

If we do find that agent then we would have a complete one to one with the situation in 1814 where a British agent was promoting the break up of the US behind the scene.
roger

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2008 01:21 pm
@BillRM,
But "if" is a very big word. Does GM really need help in looking bad? As I said, they have yet to come up with even a plausibly viable plan. The reasons are where you might be wanting to direct your attention, not some imagined comspiracy.
BillRM

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2008 02:14 pm
@roger,
Nonsense it is beyond thier control that gas prices spike up to over 4 dollars and banks would not loan money for cars loans.

Any business can be driven out of business with those conditions and GM was not lossing money overeall until this set of conditon occur.

With gas prices down and if the fed can force the bank to loan out the funds we gave them so cheerfully there is no reason I can see why GM can not survive.
maporsche

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2008 02:23 pm
@BillRM,
And next summer when gas prices are $4 again....do we toss GM another 25 Billion? The summer after that? What about 10 years from now when gas is $10/gal?
Foxfyre

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2008 02:47 pm
@maporsche,
That's the thing and I agree with you. Until Congress decides that using our own resources is beneficial to the country and clears the way for us to properly, effectively, and responsibly exploit all our coal, petroleum, and nuclear capabilities, we will continue to be at the mercy of a lot of folks who don't like or respect us much and gasoline prices will not stay down. Until it stops favoring and/or encouraging any dumb mandates wanted by the unions, that will also be a factor on the viability of American industry.

Further Congress needs to let the market decide what cars and trucks the public wants to buy which will be properly dictated by what the public deems most advantageous to the public.

We gain nothing by continuing to allow or forcing a major industry and/or a union to continue with policies that has lost it billions for some years now. No business can hope to lose money year after year and be considered viable.

Assigning blame to any particular political party is myopic and misfounded. There is plenty of blame to go around and its time we start holding ALL our elected officials feet to the fire to get it fixed and it is time that we allow businessses of all types to again succeed and fail on the merits of the product and services they ethically and legally offer..
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2008 03:16 pm
@maporsche,
As it is a fairly small amount of money compare to such loans as to AIG I see zero problem with giving GM a chance to survive.

I am sure you will be happy seeing trillions of dollars going to Japan and other countries every year that did supported their car companies.

I would however not be happy at all.
maporsche

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2008 06:00 pm
@BillRM,
blah blah blah Bill.

The AIG and 700B bailouts where **** too.

We are going to borrow BILLIONS from the Chinese, to avoid sending money to the Japanese.

Makes a lot of ******* sense doesn't it BillRM?
BillRM

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2008 08:25 pm
@maporsche,
First the government is in fact printing money not borrowing and that is fine in an economic where trillions of dollars of wealth are disappearing and we are now having deflation. Please do not tell anyone as this is a secret.

Second I would like to have something we could sell the Chinese in the future to paid for my cheap computers and mp3 players and if you kill the manufacturing heart of the country we would then be in the position of a third world resource poor country.

0 Replies