New A2K annoyances

sozobe

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 08:18 am
I'm gonna start another one called "New A2K Bugs." Similar but different things. Figure it would be nice to centralize.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 20 • Views: 27,712 • Replies: 306

sozobe

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 08:19 am
@sozobe,
Here's "Bugs":

http://able2know.org/topic/120918-1
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 08:36 am
@sozobe,
Here's my first annoyance (I addressed it in another thread, but repost it here for the sake of pooling.)

Because the volume of posts is so much higher on A2K than it was on the beta tester site, some settings that were appropriate over there make it hard to keep track of the topics that interest me. I'd like to have a variant of "My Posts" that's organized thread-by-thread rather than post-by-post. That way, I have an overview over all the threads I posted to.

In this context, I' like to second a remark that DrewDad made somewhere else: It would be nice if thead-by-thread lists included the name of the last poster along with the time of the last post, as they did on the old site. Call me a chauvinist pig, but I feel a stronger urge read and respond to some posters than others.
DrewDad

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 08:37 am
Does this include feature requests?

Anywhoo, as mentioned on another thread, I'd like to be able to see the username of the last person to post to a thread.

And I'd like to be able to set and forget my timezone settings. CST + adjust for daylight savings. (Old A2K required one to change twice a year, too.)
dadpad

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 08:45 am
@sozobe,
It seems a little silly to have a "top" button at the top of the page, and the "end" button at the end of the page. (very top right corner next to the scroll bar button ^
In addition the "top" button is almost invisible on my page as it is light green on a soft blue background
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 08:49 am
@dadpad,

i agree -- the buttons should either be reversed, or put one of each in both locations...

(gotta say, i'm glad the "dad's" have unique avatars now...)
ehBeth

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 08:50 am
@dadpad,
scroll up and down a page, dadpad. the top and end move along with you - so they're more likely to be green on white in the middle of a longish page of posts
sozobe

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 08:52 am
@ehBeth,
Oh, I hadn't noticed that. Cool.

I'm having a hard time with the time delay on marking things read. The orange "unread" underline-squiggles stay for a while after I have, in fact, read something. So I'm re-reading things and generally being less efficient than I'm used to from the old site.
dadpad

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 08:54 am
@ehBeth,
Yes you are correct ehBeth I just discovered the same thing.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 08:54 am
@sozobe,
Quote:
I'm having a hard time with the time delay on marking things read. The orange "unread" underline-squiggles stay for a while after I have, in fact, read something.

Orange? I was just about to post an annoyance about not being able to see what I've read vs what I haven't read. You see orange?
dadpad

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 08:56 am
@Region Philbis,
We did that because people were always getting us confuzzled anyway. even when we did have different avatars, we figured it couldnt get any worse and might make people have a proper look at our names. The latter seems to have worked
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 08:57 am
@sozobe,
Ah? I hadn't noticed that at all...

I guess that mildly annoys me, along with not being able to see who responded to a thread last...

EDIT: talking about the barely visible orange dotted line thingy...
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 08:57 am
@DrewDad,
Any possibility of being able to subscribe to various threads and then click a link to get a list of those "Favorite" threads you've subscribed to for navigation there?
JPB

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 08:58 am
@Region Philbis,
Quote:
i agree -- the buttons should either be reversed, or put one of each in both locations...

ditto
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 08:59 am
@JPB,
Yeah... looks like this for me:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d130/sozobe/orange.jpg

It's faint, but it's there -- orange underlining.
DrewDad

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 09:17 am
At the bottom of the page, you have to scroll all the way up if you want to use "Reply to All."

(OK, or use the "top" button.)
DrewDad

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 09:19 am
@sozobe,
Orange underlining is gonna be hard on those of us with a color deficiency.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 09:20 am
@sozobe,
What's the underline color when you haven't read it?
dadpad

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 09:20 am
@DrewDad,
click the "top" button in the top right hand corner.

weeeeeeee!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 09:26 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:
What's the underline color when you haven't read it?

Orange.

No underlining if you have read it.