New A2K annoyances

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 04:08 pm
@Craven de Kere,
Well, I sort of took it that way too. A five-step replacement to the original feature - which wasn't a problem, really - isn't a replacement, but a removed feature. I'm glad to hear that you plan to restore that feature at some point, as it wasn't clear from our earlier post that you did.
Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 04:10 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Arrg. Like I said, I plan to improve the feature. Not restore the old one. I want to make it easier to use through JavaScript on the posting page, not as easy (and prevalent) as it used to be.

So don't go nuts if it's not exactly the same, that's not what I'm promising. I'm promising to try to make it easier to use.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 04:10 pm
@Craven de Kere,
Quote:
I can't help how you project such things into my words DrewDad. I gave the steps to help people who want to use it in the mean time. I also posted that it would get easier.

I, for one, don't get why you should read "like it or lump it" into my efforts to explain how to get things done in the meantime.

That certainly absolves you of any responsibility in communicating.

"Things will get easier" could also be interpreted as "you'll get used to it."
Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 04:16 pm
@DrewDad,
Quote:
Perhaps I took it the wrong way. The landlord and the tenant often have conflicting views of the relative power positions in their relationship, however.

Perhaps you still do is you want to keep portraying it as a power struggle. I don't charge you rent and if I were as authoritarian as you portray me I'd not be doing so much to keep you from whining. The quote feature works as well as I want it to, but will spend time and money making it serve you better.
Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 04:18 pm
@DrewDad,
Quote:
"Things will get easier" could also be interpreted as "you'll get used to it."

It could also mean that I have a diabolical plan to just block annoying users and make my life more leisurely. But then again maybe I just mean what I say and plan to make things easier.

I guess you can read whatever you want into what I say, but I'd rather not waste time responding if you are going to read something sinister into it no matter what I say.
DrewDad

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 04:18 pm
@Craven de Kere,
Quote:
I'd not be doing so much to keep you from whining.

I thought this was the designated whining thread.
DrewDad

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 04:19 pm
@Craven de Kere,
Quote:
It could also mean that I have a diabolical plan to just block annoying users

Do your worst. Rolling Eyes

You might want to re-think that sysadmin from hell title, though.
Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 04:24 pm
@DrewDad,
Quote:
I thought this was the designated whining thread.

My qualm isn't with the fact that you are whining, whine away. By keeping you from whining I'm talking about building better features for your user experience.

It certainly won't stop you, but my point isn't that I want to censor or stop the criticism so much as make the featureset more broadly palatable.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 04:25 pm
@DrewDad,
There ya go again. Read whatever sinister motives you want DrewDad, but I'm not going to waste this much time on someone who's that determined to be unhappy with me. Believe what you will.
DrewDad

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 04:30 pm
@Craven de Kere,
Oh, please. Go try to sell that chickenshit to someone that'll buy it.
Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 04:33 pm
@DrewDad,
Exactly, I'm not going to waste my time convincing you that I'll try to improve the things you don't like if you are determined not to believe it.
DrewDad

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 04:36 pm
@Craven de Kere,
Nah, I meant pretending that you didn't threaten to exile me.

The whole "moi? I didn't say that! You must be crazy! I can't help what you think." routine is wearing a little thin.
Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 04:39 pm
@DrewDad,
I threatened nothing of the sort. I was illustrating how stupid of an interpretation you could have come up with and you weren't too far off by interpreting my claim that I'll make things easier as telling people to get used to it.

You can pretend you were threatened if you wish. But that is absolute nonsense. One of the biggest goals I had with this software is eliminating the use of bans as much as possible.

Like I said, you can (and apparently will) read whatever you want into what I say. So what's the point of responding to you? There are less rude and obnoxious members I could be helping with the time and there is a nice ignore function that I can use if I don't feel like reading you anymore.
joefromchicago

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 04:58 pm
@Craven de Kere,
Craven de Kere wrote:
1) Some variation of this is needed and will probably be made.

Well, I think this is a good example of where nested quotes are useful, since even I can't remember what my initial point was.

Craven de Kere wrote:
2)Hopefully people use this less than the reply button on posts, which threads the messages.

If the replies were actually threaded (i.e. placed sequentially in a sub-thread), then I could see that. In fact, if that were the case, then I think people, as they got used to the new format, would be less inclined to use the "quote" function. The threading we have now is clunky (somebody else said that already, but I don't want to go back and search). As it is, not every post in a thread is a response to another post (except, I suppose, to the original post).

Craven de Kere wrote:
3) There are no titles (and won't be) to add. Though more user info may end up on that view.

Oh well.

Craven de Kere wrote:
4) Some sites are much smaller. I think they serve their purpose without getting in the way at this size and think if this is changed it should be a per-user setting cause I certainly don't want bigger avatars.

Well, some sites are much bigger too. In fact, some sites allow graphics in the sig section. And some sites, frankly, go completely overboard with the avatars. I can see where there is a need for compromise. I'm just not sure why this compromise was chosen. I would, however, be content with a per-user setting.

Craven de Kere wrote:
5) Addressed elsewhere.

OK.

Craven de Kere wrote:
6) It's still there. Just less automatic for a good reason.

Yeah, I can still make quotes. It's just a pain in the ass now. As others have pointed out, there's a valid reason for allowing quotes. Granted, some people don't like all those nested quotes-within-quotes, and some people mindlessly use the "quote" button when they should be using the "reply" button. But then I don't like people who respond to my posts and who don't use the quote function. Chacun รก son gout, I suppose. I'm just making my preferences known here.

Craven de Kere wrote:
7) No, but we'll probably make the preview a small link to make it less prominent.

OK.

Craven de Kere wrote:
8) I was actually thinking about that last night. It's useful to see if someone else already said what you were going to and I'd like to find some kind of replacement for it.

That would be super.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 05:03 pm
@Craven de Kere,
Quote:
I threatened nothing of the sort. I was illustrating how stupid of an interpretation you could have come up with and you weren't too far off by interpreting my claim that I'll make things easier as telling people to get used to it.

You can pretend you were threatened if you wish. But that is absolute nonsense. One of the biggest goals I had with this software is eliminating the use of bans as much as possible.

Like I said, you can (and apparently will) read whatever you want into what I say. So what's the point of responding to you? There are less rude and obnoxious members I could be helping with the time and there is a nice ignore function that I can use if I don't feel like reading you anymore.

Like I said, the "moi? I never said such a thing! You must be crazy!" act is wearing thin.

Now you're calling me stupid, rude, and obnoxious to boot?

I think you have some growing up to do, for all your coding skillz. Good luck with that.
Butrflynet

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 05:31 pm
@DrewDad,
Seems to me that you're both a little testy at the moment and it isn't very becoming for either of you. It's a new change. We all got comfortable with how we made the old A2K fit our needs. Now we have a new pair of shoes and have to break them in. New shoes very rarely fit as well as the old pair at first. That doesn't mean the shoemaker had nare-do-well intentions when he made the new pair of shoes. It also doesn't mean that the one trying on the new pair of shoes is wrong to complain about the new blisters on his heels from trying to walk around in the new pair of shoes before they were broken in.

Take a breath, guys. You're both trying to improve the place, so stop gnawing on each other for caring enough to do so. It's been less than 24 hours! How long did it take us all to get the old A2K broken in so it fit our needs comfortably?

hamburgboy

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 05:45 pm
@Butrflynet,
old dogs can't learn new tricks ???
found the emoticons and all the other good stuff !
i'm getting used to being hamburgboy rather than hamburger .
perhaps there is a little bit left in my brain - just don't know what it is .
it seems that emoticons have to be added right away or they wind up at the end of the post - i'm learning .
hbg Very Happy
sozobe

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 05:46 pm
@hamburgboy,
You can also just type the components and it will convert automatically.

For example, a colon and a capital "D" make that emoticon:

Very Happy

(And one of the things I like about you is that you seem to have a nice flexible mind!)
OGIONIK

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 05:50 pm
@sozobe,
my biggest annoyance, this is the same thing as the old forum, but less, by less i mean WAY less, organized.
Butrflynet

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 05:51 pm
@hamburgboy,
Here's the perfect avatar for you hamburgerboy!

http://www.homelifeweekly.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/232546.jpg
0 Replies