New A2K annoyances

DrewDad

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 09:29 am
@sozobe,
I think the underline has to do with how recent the post is.

The underline appears to disappear (ha!) after five minutes.

OK, maybe 10 minutes.
Vengoropatubus

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 09:29 am
@sozobe,
I don't approve of the lack of different forums. Will this be added later, or will I be leaving?
sozobe

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 09:31 am
@Vengoropatubus,
Tags will evidently serve the same function as forums did -- little different though. I'm still getting the hang of them.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 09:32 am
@DrewDad,
Yeah, 10 seems more like it.

10 is a big window though! I'm definitely used to things I have read being instantaneously marked as such.

Ah well.
DrewDad

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 09:34 am
@sozobe,
My orange lines have progressed past 10 minutes....

Off to query the horses mouth.
JPB

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 09:49 am
@sozobe,
I have underlines on things I have read and no underlines on things I haven't read. I don't think that's what the underlines mean...
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 09:59 am
@sozobe,
Two annoyances that have more to do with us getting used to using the new site, but for now are annoyances until we break our old habits:

First, adding tags. Until we get into the habit of adding tags, would it be possible to allow editing of a post for a short period of time to allow us to go back and add tags, or put reminder on the Reply button in small print that says "Did you add a tag?"

Second, We need to get used to adding a general response to the thread-starter post rather than the last post in the thread. The threads are becoming very hard to follow. Some will say they are responding to a member's post number such and such and then quote someone else's post further up the thread in the content.
DrewDad

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 10:00 am
@sozobe,
OK, there is a very subtle color difference on the time stamp if you have read the last post.

Like links you've followed, it changes from blue to purple (at least with my current browser settings.)
Nick Ashley

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 10:01 am
@Butrflynet,
If you tag a thread (preferably something meaningful) then it will show up in your 'My Tags' grid, which should give you what your looking for.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 10:02 am
@Butrflynet,
I think you do that through tags, now.

You can enter favorite tags, and see posts that match the tags.

EDIT: Well, there you go then.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 10:03 am
@Vengoropatubus,
Tags. Use them. Love them.
0 Replies

Nick Ashley

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 10:04 am
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:
First, adding tags.

You can add tags at any time, and on topics you didn't start. When you are reading a topic, on the left hand column, there is a box titled 'My Tags' that allows you to add/edit tags for that topic at any time.
JPB

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 10:05 am
@DrewDad,
Quote:
OK, there is a very subtle color difference on the time stamp if you have read the last post.

I don't see any differences
joefromchicago

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 10:10 am
Some of these have already been covered:

1. Add the name of the last person to post to each thread;
2. "Reply to All" button needs to be at the bottom of the page;
3. Add title (newbie, veteran, guru, etc.) and number of posts for each member next to their avatars;
4. Tiny avatars -- I like the Gravatar thingie (it manages larger pictures much better than the old system), but the avatars themselves are far too small (probably about a third of what they were before);
5. "My Posts" view only shows the posts, not the threads in which they were posted (Thomas mentioned this, and I actually agree with him for once);
6. Really, really need a "quote" function;
7. Was it some sort of malicious prank to put the "reply" button on the left and the "preview" button on the right, when the "reply" button used to be on the right in the old format and the "preview" button used to be on the left?
8. I liked having a window showing the most recent posts while in "draft reply" mode. Any way of getting that back?

That's all I can think of now. I'm sure I'll find more to gripe about later. I am, however, not complaining about the overall change in format. I think that, with a few tweaks here and there, this has the possibility of being vastly superior to the old format.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 10:15 am
@DrewDad,
Sigh, I suppose change is always going to be painful, but - whoof.

Day 0 observations:

- There needs to be a link to 'my preferences' on the top bar.
- No search at this time apparently.
- Did my old PMs vanish?
- as Thomas said, the 'last post' link needs to include the name of the poster.
- there's no way to skip to a specific page off of the topic list; this is a critical feature.
- you can't scroll down in the 'reply' screen to see what the old posts were, in order to respond to points effectively. This was another great feature of A2k.
- Can you no longer quote someone automatically?

More to come

on edit:

- BBcode editor needs to be expanded as default, many of us use it every single post and it's annoying to have to expand it every time.
- text on some stuff is too small, such as the date/time stamp on the right, or, for example, the character counter in the lower left under the text box on the 'reply' screen.
- Prefs need to be made to allow more posts/topics per screen. The old A2K showed a hell of a lot more then 20 topics without making you move to a new page; it's quite annoying to only see 20 at a time, 50 would be way better.
DrewDad

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 10:16 am
@JPB,
Quote:
Quote:

I don't see any differences

Like I said, it's very subtle.
DrewDad

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 10:18 am
@Cycloptichorn,
I think Craven advised us that they were launching without PMs and Search.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 10:19 am
@DrewDad,
Agree, I really miss seeing who is posting where.
It keeps the flow if you play multiple threds...
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 10:20 am
@Nick Ashley,
Cool, will that also work as a way to subscribe to a thread so we can follow them without having to dig through a bunch of other threads in a category?

Sounds like it will. That will be really nice.
JPB

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 10:22 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
there's no way to skip to a specific page off of the topic list; this is a critical feature.

yes there is. This is the url for this thread http://able2know.org/topic/120917-1

change the -1 to the page you want and hit enter