New A2K annoyances

ossobuco

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 05:15 pm
This may happen on only my computer, but for about two days now, the new posts page is somewhat slow to open, and opens at the bottom of the page, becoming more visible as I scroll up. Some other pages, for example, my topics where I'm enmeshed in tagging, may have this going on too, but I haven't written down all instances... so, on new posts for sure.

Again, it may be just my computer, which has issues of its own since my last mac updates.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 08:05 pm
@Nick Ashley,
Nick Ashley wrote:

I bet you are using internet explorer. Am I right?

Thanks for pointing out the bug, I believe this should be fixed.

Yup and yup.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 12:31 am
Robert, Craven, Nick... The site needs a minor (I'm guessing minor) tweak. When viewed in 800 x 600 resolution; the up/down bar is over top of the text on the right hand side. Is this an okay place to let you know something like this?

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/6883/glitchpw2.jpg
OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 12:42 am
@OCCOM BILL,
Scratch that. I'm retarded. I didn't have my own window opened quite all the way. Embarrassed
Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 12:48 am
@OCCOM BILL,
Either way your question about whether this is a good place to put it gave me this idea:

Please report all bugs and annoyances (as opposed to fundamental things you feel differently about but that we aren't likely to change) to the "Contact Webmaster" category of the help desk (through the "contact us" link in footer).

I want to vote down all the a2k threads so I can use the site to talk about stuff other than the site and would rather separate the site work into the help desk. So if anyone sees a bug or something we'd likely want to fix please send it over there as I'll check these a2k threads a lot less often (if my self control is good it will be virtually never).
DrewDad

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 08:51 am
@Robert Gentel,
What about feature suggestions/requests?
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 01:37 pm
I don't know whether its A2K or my computer, but when I return to the list of topics from a specific post, I am not returned to the spot on the thread that I left.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2008 09:42 pm
Okay this is no biggie, but it is an annoyance unless I'm missing something. When I click on the links under Popular Tags it does list the current threads in whatever of those topics I selected. So I look. Nothing new of interest. I want to go back to All Topics. How do I do that without exiting the board and coming back in?
jespah

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2008 04:13 am
@Foxfyre,
Click able2know (the icon, upper left corner of any page) and you'll get back to the Home page.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 04:02 am
It's been mentioned before, but I think many of us would like a second "reply to all" button on the bottom of the pages.

Also, the "top" and "bottom" buttons could be made larger for ease. None of these changes should be too difficult. I think they are all very functional improvements for the site.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE.

T
K
O
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 06:11 pm
Okay, so I'm a Luddite. I have been trying to log on for the past two days and keep getting an Apache site that says A2K is being worked on. Now it appears I managed to log in through a specific thread I had bookmarked. Can someone tell me where I'm going wrong? Is there a new address of which I'm unaware? (I tried googling A2K and still ended up at the Apache page.) When I hit able2know for new posts/topics it dumps me out to the Apache site again. Advice?
ossobuco

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 06:23 pm
@Tai Chi,
I dunno, it looks like most of us who wanted to access a2k have gotten in. I hope your problem is temporary and have no advice.

I did have trouble yesterday accessing the blog, but I figure that is being worked on.

Good luck, Tai.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 06:26 pm
@Tai Chi,
That was a temporary DNS problem caused by a mistake on our end. Once your dns is resolving correctly (looks like it is now) you won't see it anymore.
Tai Chi

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 06:36 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Nope. When I try to get to new posts and topics I'm back at Apache. I'll be patient though. Thanks for the replies, Robert and osso.
Tai Chi

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 08:14 am
@Tai Chi,
Sigh. I still cannot access A2K unless I log in through a previously bookmarked thread. I cannot access new topics. I can only access new posts if they are in a thread where I have previously posted (or like this one, if someone has provided a link from a thread I had previously bookmarked...) Any suggestions?
DrewDad

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 08:17 am
@Tai Chi,
Clear your browser cache. I have a thread on that around here somewhere....
DrewDad

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 08:18 am
@DrewDad,
Here's how to clear your browser cache.
Tai Chi

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 08:42 am
@DrewDad,
Thanks DrewDad! It worked. (Told y'all I was a Luddite...)
Izzie

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 08:53 am
@Tai Chi,
Oh hey TC - that's a bit happy a? Well done DD!
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 06:43 pm
Starting a few days ago, A2K is making it needlessly complicated to quoting a post in my response to it. Sometimes, when I copy&paste chunks from the post I'm quoting into my reply, A2K inserts a link to the thread.

I suspect this is a protection against wholesale copying and pasting. The New Yorker has a similar feature, and I get how it might be useful. But it's annoying. I suggest a return to the status quo from a week ago. Alternatively, I suggest a return to the ancient status quo, when replying to a post would automatically insert a quote of that full post into my reply, and all I'd have to do is trim it.