New A2K annoyances

JPB

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 11:55 am
new baby grumble... the Popular Tags window doesn't seem to be sorted by anything obvious. Searching through for a particular tag is difficult.
fbaezer

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 12:05 pm
Nice effort, some features look nice. But ...
I'm dazed and confused. (Am I too old?)

Where is the "edit" button, if any?
And the bold, italics, color & size buttons?
How can you post images?
Does the gravatar thingie work automatically for all your weblogs? I don't want my A2K avatar on my blog.
The former "My posts" function took me to every recently moving thread on which I posted. The new one takes me only to my recent posts (only 3 threads on the whole page).

I agree with what Thomas (and Joe and Tico) said on previous posts.
It took me ages to understand that "reply to all" was equivalent to "post reply".

White background is boring.

It's also a bore to constantly clic the "fit" button, and you don't get the idea of the whole discussion at a relatively short glance (for those of us fast readers) Some posts are longer than others, can't we just face that?
I wonder. In some cases, a personal reply can be very interesting, but we don't get to see it if we don't clic the "fit" button (which I know I'm going to hate).

fbaezer

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 12:06 pm
@JPB,
The popular tags seem to be an annoyance by themselves.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 12:09 pm
@Thomas,
Butryflynet, I have a mac so I'm not sure how this happens on a pc, but on the safari browser there is a choice of VIEW, and I clicked on Make Text Larger - now the whole page is much easier for me to read.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 12:11 pm
@fbaezer,
Enable the BBC Code, you idiot!
Look at the top of your post. Read "Edit". Daaah!

On all your other complaints, you're totally right.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 12:14 pm
@fbaezer,
fbeazer (I'm going to try to get out of the habit of quoting so I'll respond in order). As I understand things...

The edit button is still there for a bit if no one has responded to your posts.
The formatting buttons are available if you click the Enable BBCode Editor button at the top of the reply window.
Same with URLs and IMG links

dunno anything about the Gravitar thinging but I think it only applies to sites who are linked to Gravitar.

My Posts gives me every post sorted by most recent to oldest -- dunno why your's doesn't.

Reply All is not the same as Post Reply. Think of nested posts. Reply All is at the same nesting level as the first post on the thread; Post Reply is in response to a particular post and would show up as nested within the post if there was nested viewing.

Go to your Preferences (My Posts or Topics, then Edit Preferences) and Expand All Posts to Yes so that you'll never have to use the fit button again.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 12:15 pm

getting logged out while typing a long post is a tad annoying...
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 12:20 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
- BBcode editor needs to be expanded as default, many of us use it every single post and it's annoying to have to expand it every time.

It would be nice if the site would at least remember the last setting I had. That way, people who just want to type text without having that cluttered BBCode Toolbar wouldn't be bothered, and others wouldn't have to click each time they want to post.

Same solution would probably be nice for the emoticons...
Thomas

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 12:33 pm
@Ticomaya,
Someone posting under Ticomaya's account wrote:
I hate to agree with Joe ... but I do. On all counts.

Who are you, and what have you done to Ticomaya?
blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 12:56 pm
@Thomas,
I'm here as BVT but don't want to be... I want to be Bi-Polar Bear.... how do I fix this? there doesn't seem to be a way to contact the powers that be.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 01:06 pm
Seems to me the "Reply" and "Reply to All" buttons should be next to each other. "Reply to All" is not obvious.

Also, I agree with others that the "Popular Tags" box is a mess. The tags should be listed one per line and alphabetized. It's much too difficult to find what you're looking for. And...what happened to "General"? That's where I usually hung out. I have no idea where those topics are now.

No doubt I'll be much happier when the improved graphics appear. As a print designer, I'm heavily influenced by graphics.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 01:09 pm
I shouldn't have to scroll to the top to hit 'reply to all.' That should be at the bottom, for when you get done reading the last post, where are you? At the bottom. Anything which adds in more steps is annoying as hell.

FB, there's an option under 'my preferences' to expand all posts all the time; put it on and the stupid scrolling post thing goes away.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 01:13 pm
@Thomas,
This has some significant technical challenges. Not to make poorly like the last site but to make well and fast like our standards here.

Plus, the my tags feature can do this if you tag stuff (and we want you to). But the "my posts" grid is something we aren't finished with and you may see the topics grouping if it makes sense at a later date.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 01:14 pm
@sozobe,
Right now they don't mark them read at all.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 01:16 pm
@Butrflynet,
You can add/edit tags to any thread at any time. You don't need to edit the post to do so.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 01:21 pm
@joefromchicago,
1) Some variation of this is needed and will probably be made.
2)Hopefully people use this less than the reply button on posts, which threads the messages.
3) There are no titles (and won't be) to add. Though more user info may end up on that view.
4) Some sites are much smaller. I think they serve their purpose without getting in the way at this size and think if this is changed it should be a per-user setting cause I certainly don't want bigger avatars.
5) Addressed elsewhere.
6) It's still there. Just less automatic for a good reason.
7) No, but we'll probably make the preview a small link to make it less prominent.
8) I was actually thinking about that last night. It's useful to see if someone else already said what you were going to and I'd like to find some kind of replacement for it.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 01:33 pm
@Craven de Kere,
with no nested quote boxes, your reply doesn't make much sense.

Forcing the posters to click through to read the old post is clunky. We ought to have a 'quote user' button. The new scrolling removes the complaints of those who don't like long posts.
Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 01:35 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I can still quote here.
1) reply
2) highlight what I want to quote and drag it into reply box
3) click the quote bbcode button

We have some plans to make it a bit easier but it's still accessible. I for one love that there is no quote button on the posts because the majority of the time it wasn't used for anything other than to get to the reply screen and was supremely irritating.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 01:46 pm
@Craven de Kere,
It still represents a loss in functionality. Anything that adds steps, to a process which used to take one click, is a step backwards.

When you manually quote, you have to manually put in the name of the person you are quoting as well. In many complicated discussions, several quotes from several people are included in the nesting for a very good reason - it saves one from having to go back and hunt down what each individual said. It saves time, lots of time. Adding more steps to do the same necessary thing isn't an improvement.

If the scrolling/nested feature is available, why are we worried about the length of posts or number of nests? I understand that you don't like them, but I love them and I'm sure many others who engage in long, drawn-out and complex conversations do as well. It was always a nice feature that many other boards lacked, and now A2K lacks it too! Please, bring it, along with many other processes which once were one-click, back if you can!
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 01:53 pm
@Craven de Kere,
Quote:
I for one love that there is no quote button on the posts because the majority of the time it wasn't used for anything other than to get to the reply screen and was supremely irritating.

Five steps to add that quote.

I know that you have a personal dislike of quotes and/or nested quotes, but quotes allow continuity in the conversation; we often have multiple conversations on a single thread.

I'm finding it difficult to follow multiple conversations the way you have it set up.

With the kind of reply system you have now, it should be possible to have a hierarchical view where replies are linked to the original message. Then again, you get stuff lost in the trees that way.

I know that designing a user interface is always a matter of compromise, but trying to force the users to use the site the way you want them to is going to be a mistake.