Ticomaya

Wed 20 Aug, 2008 09:42 pm
@JPB,
"ok, let me try it with two lines of text on the page.
now I have a second Idea line and will try to insert a face somewhere on the first line."

I'll add an emoticon after the word "second".

Seems to work for me. This machine is vista running Firefox.
Izzie

Wed 20 Aug, 2008 10:33 pm
@Ticomaya,
mmmmm....... me and the RH a?

I don't use Firefox.... last time I tried it my laptop ended up in the shop.... HA - it' still there. Maybe Nick can come up with a plan!
0 Replies

OnTheFritz

Thu 21 Aug, 2008 06:38 am
All right, I see you added the name of the last poster to the threads. Good. Thanks.
Endymion

Tue 26 Aug, 2008 07:36 pm
@OnTheFritz,
Hi Nick

Firstly, thanks for all your hard work " I guess you and Craven must have been through a few pots of coffee over the last few months.

I don't want to add to your workload but I'm hoping you can help me out at sometime in the future.

Since the new site went up, my work in Creative Writing and elsewhere has become corrupted.

I know I made contact with the web master and was sent an e-mail telling me that your end can’t see a problem, but I haven't changed my set-up and I wasn't seeing this corruption the day before the change over.

And other people, with different browsers are seeing it also " be it different odd characters.

Firefox " it's boxes with A's in
Explorer " it's black boxes
other " small squares

These are scattered throughout the text.

The only browser that seems okay is Safari (that i know of)

When I copied and pasted some of the A's in boxes I could see here http://able2know.org/topic/97334-1

back to Word, the squares turned into circles with two dots above them
????

Although it doesn't appear to be absolutely every post " it is right across the boards " including all my poetry threads

Everything was written, edited, spell checked, copied and pasted from MS Word and on the old site read fine.

Now I don't want to be too precious about my work " it's just a bunch of words after all and I haven't exactly got a wide audience " but at the same time… you know, it just feels bad
The thought of people reading it like that and thinking WTF?
Especially my WWI stuff, which i feel a duty to present well.

If you can help me out " I'd be grateful

regards
Endy
Ticomaya

Tue 26 Aug, 2008 08:16 pm
@Endymion,
I'm using Firefox, and I followed your link, and I don't see any boxes with A's.
Endymion

Tue 26 Aug, 2008 08:57 pm
@Ticomaya,
ok thanks

I checked out Safari myself and that is ok too

but explorer (which i dislike anyway)
and my version of fire-fox (which is quite old) are both showing boxes.

Msolga is seeing boxes here
http://able2know.org/topic/60818-25#post-3375068

hope it's just an update prob or something - i dunno
Endymion

Tue 26 Aug, 2008 09:09 pm
@Endymion,
it's effing microsoft, that's what it is
i bet -- Word
Got to go sleep now - not really that bothered about this - hic ups come and go
Hey - maybe when i wake up it will all have been a dream!!! Like last night Wink
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Tue 26 Aug, 2008 09:14 pm
@Endymion,
I went to this post: http://able2know.org/topic/60818-25#post-3343571

... and saw no glitches in either Firefox (2.0.0.16) or IE (7.0.600).
Endymion

Tue 26 Aug, 2008 10:56 pm
@Ticomaya,
IE 5.2.3 for Mac IS seeing glitches
and i'm seeing in on firefox 2.0.0.4

sounds like anyone with older software - my computer and everything with it was awarded to me through a disability program and wouldn't be easy (or cheap) to replace.
Catch 22

thanks for looking

night
Robert Gentel

Tue 26 Aug, 2008 11:14 pm
@Endymion,
Did you try what I told you when I answered you by email? For some reason, you are using the wrong encoding. If you get your browser to recognize it as UTF-8 it will work.

I don't have the time to look it up for the browser version you use, but for example in my version of Firefox it's:

View > Character Encoding > Unicode (UTF 8)

You are probably using "Western", but should be using Unicode anyway.
Butrflynet

Tue 26 Aug, 2008 11:37 pm
@Endymion,
Endymion wrote:

When I copied and pasted some of the A's in boxes I could see here http://able2know.org/topic/97334-1

back to Word, the squares turned into circles with two dots above them
????

Although it doesn't appear to be absolutely every post " it is right across the boards " including all my poetry threads

Everything was written, edited, spell checked, copied and pasted from MS Word and on the old site read fine.

Two questions:

1. Does the problem only occur in content which YOU posted or does it also occur in the posts made by others?

2. When you did the actions in MS Word, was it Word 2007?

I lied, there's a third question...

3. Have you looked closely at the symbols to see if there is any pattern such as they are in spots where quote marks, dashes or some other punctuation should occur?

The reason I ask these questions is I run into many of the same kind of unusual code because of the "smart editing" MS Word inserts high ascii code to create some sets of symbols and that does not translate well on webpages.

If you think this might be the problem and don't know how to fix it, let me know and I'll post some instructions for you. There are several spots in Word 2007's preferences that you have to tweak to completely stop the "smart editing."
Robert Gentel

Tue 26 Aug, 2008 11:43 pm
@Butrflynet,
I really don't think that's what's happening with him, he just needs to set his browser to Unicode (UTF-8) and all is well. Word is a red herring.
0 Replies

Endymion

Wed 27 Aug, 2008 02:25 am
@Robert Gentel,
Seriously- i've got ticked -' View - character encoding - Unicode (UTF - 8)'
and NOT western
i double checked all that before posting here

**** i haven't slept all night so i'll get back to you on the Word thing -
i've sent an e-mail to an old buddy who knows a thing or two about computers - if i hear anything back i'll let you know .
Now i really AM going to shut down
thanks for all help

Endy
Robert Gentel

Wed 27 Aug, 2008 03:09 am
@Endymion,
The word thing is unrelated, if you get bad encoding on the page, and copy it to word it will show up there no matter what the word situation is.

Nick has an idea about invalid character encoding that might be on the site's end and one of us will let you know if that leads anywhere but as long as you are copying the bad encoding it will show up that way elsewhere. The only difference is that the different applications use different symbols to indicate the characters they can't negotiate.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
mackllinvinger

Fri 24 Aug, 2012 06:26 am
hello developer
how are you?
Ragman

Fri 24 Aug, 2012 06:40 am
@mackllinvinger,
Welcome to A2K. I think you might be new and not aware of this but in all the posts you've made recently, you've been replying to very old threads. You might want to check the time and date stamps. If you do, you'll get far more responses if the threads are current.
0 Replies

manishsharma12

Mon 8 Apr, 2019 05:36 am
@Nick Ashley,

Good luck, Nick.
0 Replies

manishsharma12

Wed 24 Apr, 2019 06:11 am
@Nick Ashley,
Best developer designed very ultimate website.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Wed 24 Apr, 2019 06:50 am
But what have you done for us lately Nick? /jk
0 Replies