Oh fer chrissakes

nimh

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 06:43 am
For crying out loud... how low can the media chatter go?

This is considered a serious article in the Wall Street F*cking Journal?

The inanity...

Quote:
Too Fit to Be President?

Facing an Overweight Electorate,
Barack Obama Might Find
Low Body Fat a Drawback

By AMY CHOZICK
August 1, 2008; Page W1

Speaking to donors at a San Diego fund-raiser last month, Barack Obama reassured the crowd that he wouldn't give in to Republican tactics to throw his candidacy off track.

"Listen, I'm skinny but I'm tough," Sen. Obama said.

But in a nation in which 66% of the voting-age population is overweight and 32% is obese, could Sen. Obama's skinniness be a liability? Despite his visits to waffle houses, ice-cream parlors and greasy-spoon diners around the country, his slim physique just might have some Americans wondering whether he is truly like them.

http://s.wsj.net/public/resources/images/OB-BY679_thin_p_20080731223047.jpg

The candidate has been criticized by opponents for appearing elitist or out of touch with average Americans. A Wall Street Journal/NBC News poll conducted in July shows Sen. Obama still lags behind Republican John McCain among white men and suburban women who say they can't relate to his background or perceived values.

"He's too new ... and he needs to put some meat on his bones," says Diana Koenig, 42, a housewife in Corpus Christi, Texas, who says she voted for Sen. Hillary Clinton in the Democratic primary.

"I won't vote for any beanpole guy," another Clinton supporter wrote last week on a Yahoo politics message board.

If the author even remotely considers herself a journalist, I hope she's well embarassed by the asinine fatuousness of this.

Oh, and the same goes for those two Clinton supporters, if they really said that. Good god. This is how Presidents get chosen? How vapid can people get?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,673 • Replies: 24
No top replies

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 06:46 am
Typical Left wing moonbat distractionary fluff.

A total waste of time.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 06:47 am
I thought this was gonna be about the "'Obama played the race card,' (says the McCain camp, thereby playing the race card)" silliness, but this is possibly even sillier yet. Well, they're both pretty damn silly.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 06:48 am
Yeah, it is silly (and sad) that Obama continues to play the race card.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 06:49 am
Everyone knows that Obama's gonna win 'cause he's taller. Sheesh. Don't these people know anything?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 06:50 am
H2O_MAN wrote:
Yeah, it is silly (and sad) that Obama continues to play the race card.

Rather than derailing nimh's thread right away, I responded to that on your own thread on the subject.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 06:51 am
H2O_MAN wrote:

A total waste of time.

Yeah, that Left wing moonbat media source the Wall Street Journal.

Of course, they did manage to point out how unamerican Obama is in that he doesn't like ice cream.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 06:55 am
Of course if this study relates at all, Barack's being thin only means Fat Cat GOPers will like the Democrat brand more while their self loathing goes off the charts.

http://adage.com/article?article_id=130021
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 06:59 am
Fat Cats are prevalent on both sides of the isle.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 07:23 am
H2O_MAN wrote:

Huh?

A piece from the staunchly conservative Wall Street Journal attacking Obama for being too thin -- and it's left wing moonbat fluff?

Come again?
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 07:28 am
nimh wrote:
H2O_MAN wrote:

Huh?

A piece from the staunchly conservative Wall Street Journal attacking Obama for being too thin -- and it's left wing moonbat fluff?

Come again?

Never mind, nimh. Maybe he has water on the brain.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 07:29 am
that was gonna be my question, nimh. What on earth does talking about weight make it a LEFT WING stupidity, rather than just a stupidity?

the liberal-conservative divide of every last thing in this world is soooo tiring. now excuse me, i'm off to have my conservative coffee and my liberal oatmeal.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 07:32 am
Isn't this meant to be a ridiculous satire on other ridiculous reasons not to vote for Obama?
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 07:27 am
I am always embarrassingly slow to recognize satire (never even heard the word until coming here) but I read the entire the article and I think it is meant to be taken as it reads. I might be wrong though; wouldn't be the first time.

In a nation of overweight people; I would think having a skinny president would set a good example rather than turn people off, even fat people. Speaking as one who is somewhat on the plump side myself (to be kind to myself), I don't get turned off just because he is skinny. Rather the opposite in fact.

But it is a silly thing to be talking about in an election when there are so many important issues at stake right now; but then so is Paris Hilton... Seems to be all the conservatives in this campaign can come up with. If it works, it won't speak well of us Americans in general.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 07:39 am
H2O_MAN wrote:
Fat Cats are prevalent on both sides of the isle.

Try "aisle", cretin.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 07:42 am
dagmaraka wrote:
that was gonna be my question, nimh. What on earth does talking about weight make it a LEFT WING stupidity, rather than just a stupidity?

the liberal-conservative divide of every last thing in this world is soooo tiring. now excuse me, i'm off to have my conservative coffee and my liberal oatmeal.

Multi-personality, dollink?

Or just integrated?

:wink:
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 07:52 am
Lash wrote:
Isn't this meant to be a ridiculous satire on other ridiculous reasons not to vote for Obama?

If only, huh?
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 07:52 am
I chose "isle" for a good reason ... cretin
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 08:19 am
H2O_MAN wrote:
I chose "isle" for a good reason ... cretin

Sure...you can't spell.
0 Replies