HELP! My car is frozen and won't start!

Montana

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 11:25 am
I haven't been out on a few weeks and we've had some cold weather. Yesterday was the worst at -32c, and now my car won't start.

My mechanic suggested to try and jump it, but I'd have to call a tow truck to do that and the funds are rather tight these days.

Any other suggestions?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 33,740 • Replies: 27
No top replies

Montana

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 11:28 am
At one point I thought for sure it was going to start, but it didn't. If I wait awhile inbetween trying, it seems like it wants to start for a second, but nothing.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 11:31 am
This may sound crazy, but someone once told me to turn on the radio if the car won't start. After a minute or two, the juices start flowing in the battery and the car will start. It might work.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 11:54 am
Ok, I'll try messin with the radio, but it was already on when I tried to start it.

Thanks Swimpy. I'll try anything!
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 11:55 am
Swimpy wrote:
This may sound crazy, but someone once told me to turn on the radio if the car won't start. After a minute or two, the juices start flowing in the battery and the car will start. It might work.

That is to let you know whether there is power in the battery. Same as turning the headlights on or honking the horn. Be sure the radio and any other electrical device is turned off prior to trying to start.

If the car is not fuel injected, pump the gas a couple times before trying to start. Don't try to start for more than a few seconds at a time or you might kill the battery.

Jump starting would be good, but I realize that you do not have neighbours close by to help. How about the old guy with the rifle? Is there a friend you could call?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 12:00 pm
I'd rather pay a tow guy than to ask dirty old neighbour to help me with anything, but I'll try turning the radio off to see what happens.

Thanks Intrepid :-D
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 12:24 pm
Sounds like a dead battery. Find somebody with a car and jumper cables or a battery charger.

DON'T keed trying to start it.

You have to go through a process of elimination. If doing things without being careful you could REALLY break something and cause a very costly mistake.

What year and make of car is it ?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 12:30 pm
Oh, for heaven sakes. I had a battery charger here that I use for the tractor sometimes when I need to get it going first time and I've got it started.

Everyone can say duh now Laughing

Thanks everyone and now I call my son to tell him thanks for reminding me that I had a charger Laughing
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 12:33 pm
Shocked
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 12:54 pm
Montana wrote:
Oh, for heaven sakes. I had a battery charger here that I use for the tractor sometimes when I need to get it going first time and I've got it started.

Thanks everyone and now I call my son to tell him thanks for reminding me that I had a charger Laughing
Great, but make sure that when you turn it off it starts again. Don't drive somewhere and then get stuck because it won't start without the charger.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 12:59 pm
And here i was going to suggest peeing on it.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 01:07 pm
I think your in the wrong thread.

Your looking for the "Ticomayos fantasy" thread.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 01:09 pm
Shocked

you di-int just say that..
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 01:10 pm
Im tellin....
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 01:16 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
Shocked

you di-int just say that..

MmmmmHmmmm, Oh yes I ah did sista.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 01:37 pm
Use the battery charger, of course, but be very careful about pumping the pedal. It is unbelievably east to flood an engine in cold weather. In fact, I would get the engine cranking before I touched the accelerator. I'm referring to cars set up with carberators.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 02:12 pm
Amigo wrote:
Montana wrote:

Great, but make sure that when you turn it off it starts again. Don't drive somewhere and then get stuck because it won't start without the charger.

Thanks Amigo. Took my mom to the post office and left her in the car with it still running. I wasn't gonna turn it off until I got home. I learned that lesson some years ago Laughing
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 02:14 pm
roger wrote:
Use the battery charger, of course, but be very careful about pumping the pedal. It is unbelievably east to flood an engine in cold weather. In fact, I would get the engine cranking before I touched the accelerator. I'm referring to cars set up with carberators.

Thank god I don't have my old carberated car and now have something decent. Never need to hit the gas to start this baby Cool
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 02:14 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
And here i was going to suggest peeing on it.

That was plan B Laughing
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 02:18 pm
Montana wrote:
Amigo wrote:
Montana wrote:

Thanks Amigo. Took my mom to the post office and left her in the car with it still running. I wasn't gonna turn it off until I got home. I learned that lesson some years ago Laughing

Thats how I learned it Laughing ....... Confused I mean no, I'm a man. I knew it when I came out of the womb.
0 Replies