Where the religious are located

Coolwhip

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 07:56 am
If anyone could find some figures on how many people(%), according to this survey, are religious, that would be great. Because this figure seems a little low according to other polls I've read.

Wikipedia wrote:
Quote:
In a private survey conducted in 2001, 76.7 percent of American adults identified themselves as Christian, [...].

If we are to believe these numbers, this map is very inaccurate.
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 07:58 am
And I further quote Wikipedia:

Quote:
The total reporting non-Christian religions in 2001 was 3.7 percent, up from 3.3 percent in 1990. The leading non-Christian faiths were Judaism (1.4 percent), Islam (0.5 percent), Buddhism (0.5 percent), Hinduism (0.4 percent), and Unitarian Universalism (0.3 percent). Between 1990 and 2001, the number of Muslims and Buddhists more than doubled. From 8.2 percent in 1990, 14.2 percent in 2001 described themselves as agnostic, atheist, or simply having no religion,[130] still significantly less than in other postindustrial countries such as Britain (44 percent) and Sweden (69 percent).[133]
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 08:26 am
xingu wrote:
S Ohio is not very rugged. I have always imagined that rural farm folks are the religious ones, conservative who stick to tried and true ways. The urban people less so.

Actually, southern Ohio is rather rugged--it is part of the geological formation known as the Shawnee Hills. The lowest population densities are there, as well as the highest unemployment rates and the lowest county tax bases. It also includes, however, Cincinnati. I was, though, just as surprised to see the lack of reported religious affiliation there.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 08:32 am
Coolwhip wrote:
All the statistics I've ever heard about atheism in the US never claimed that the percentage was over 10%, so I just feel this doesn't add up.

The lightest areas simply refer to areas in which less than 35% of the population, based on the 2000 census, report an affiliation with an organized religion which participates in the reporting program. That is no reason to assume that 65% of the population of those regions are atheists. Statistics are tricky enough when polling people, because of all sorts of traits of human nature which lead people to respond in odd ways. This information is from a "self-sampling" source--it comes from people who chose to respond to a survey by an association of organized religious bodies who chose to participate in the organization. It does not include people who did not chose to respond, and it does not include organized religious bodies who do not choose to participate in the association.
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 08:37 am
Setanta wrote:
Coolwhip wrote:
All the statistics I've ever heard about atheism in the US never claimed that the percentage was over 10%, so I just feel this doesn't add up.

The lightest areas simply refer to areas in which less than 35% of the population, based on the 2000 census, report an affiliation with an organized religion which participates in the reporting program. That is no reason to assume that 65% of the population of those regions are atheists. Statistics are tricky enough when polling people, because of all sorts of traits of human nature which lead people to respond in odd ways. This information is from a "self-sampling" source--it comes from people who chose to respond to a survey by an association of organized religious bodies who chose to participate in the organization. It does not include people who did not chose to respond, and it does not include organized religious bodies who do not choose to participate in the association.

Right. Thats why I said the map is somewhat inaccurate, but I guess it shows a pretty good picture of the religiosity of different parts of America.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 08:37 am
http://fermi.jhuapl.edu/states/maps1/oh.gif

This is a topographic map of Ohio. The correlation, if any, to the distribution map seems to be in the southern part of the state. The eastern portion of the state is even more rugged than the southern portion of the state, but it is also more densely populated--it has been settled much longer than the rest of the state. It is probable that a great many of the people in the rural portions of southern Ohio belong to charismatic or other fundamentalist sects which do not participate in the association of religious bodies who participated in the survey.
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 09:04 am
Remind me. Utah is the mormon capital, right? How does that affect the state legislation?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 09:10 am
Utah is a state, of which Salt Lake City is the capital. Yes, however, it is correct that it is the home of the Mormon hierarchy.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 11:44 pm
This is a facinating subject. BTW, I think Los Angeles is bit too red for me to believe...lol.

Seriously though, this is just facinating. I'm personally surprized by the distribution, and I really don't hold it in question. The sad thing is that the same survey could have asked a followup question or something perhaps to extrapolate more information for us.

I would have asked something like: "Do your religious beliefs affect your voting?"

T
K
O
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 05:12 am
There was never a survey, as I understood it. The people who made this graph simply asked the 149 most numerous religions in the country to account for how many members there were in their 'fraction'.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 05:42 am
Quote:

http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_prac2.htm
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 05:46 am
Quote:
Unchurched Page Tools

You have opened the research archive about the unchurched. The statistics and analysis in this archive come from national surveys conducted by Barna Research.

For more information about the unchurched, be sure to check out the related resources and news releases featured on this page. Also, watch for new information to be added to this archive in the months to come.

Definition:
The following is how we define an unchurched adult for our research: an adult (18 or older) who has not attended a Christian church service within the past six months, not including a holiday service (such as Easter or Christmas) or a special event at a church (such as a wedding or funeral).

How Many?
There has been a 92% increase in the number of unchurched Americans in the last thirteen years. In 1991 there were 39 million unchurched Americans compared with 75 million currently. (2004)
Who?

Although they comprise slightly less than half of the national population, men constitute 55% of the unchurched. (2006)

The average unchurched person is 41, which is younger than the national norm of 45. (2006)

One-fifth of American adults (21%) are single-never-married, whereas nearly one-half of the unchurched fit that definition (48%). (2006)

The highest concentration of unchurched adults is in the West where 43% of adults are unchurched and the Northeast (40%), compared to 28% residents in the South and Midwest who are unchurched. (2006)

Spiritual Commitment
More than three out of five (62%) unchurched adults consider themselves to be Christian. (2006)

44% claim they have made a personal commitment to Jesus Christ that is still important in their life today. (2006)

In a typical week, 19% of unchurched people read the bible compared to 47% of all adults who do so. (2006)

In a typical week, 66% of unchurched people pray compared to 84% of all adults who do so. (2006)

Three-fifths (61%) of the churched population has accepted Jesus Christ as their savior, compared with one out of every five unchurched adults (21%) who has done so. (2006)

Beliefs
64% of the unchurched say that Satan is not a living being but is a symbol of evil. (2006)

63% of unchurched adults state that a good person can earn his or her way into Heaven. (2006)

Slightly less than half (48%) of the unchurched define God as the perfect, all-powerful, all-knowing Creator of the universe who continues to rule His creation today. (2006)

51% of the unchurched assert that when Jesus Christ lived on earth, He committed sins. (2006)

27% of the unchurched firmly believe that the Bible is totally accurate in all that it teaches. (2006)

http://www.barna.org/FlexPage.aspx?Page=Topic&TopicID=38
0 Replies

ricksang

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 02:35 pm
That survey has got to be wrong. I thought Mississippi would be covered in dark red? I live in Mississippi and the people here live for church. Shoot, the first time they meet you, they ask you what church you attend. I go to a Baptist College, not by choice, but by convenience. We have two more Christian colleges just in the Jackson area. Gosh, I want to move from the South.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 02:48 pm
This is a survey of 149 religions. States like Mississippi have a lot of independent Baptist churches that would not be in the 149 churches included in this survey.

I initially was surprised by the lack of color in the south but you have to look at the religion. In ND and SD I believe the predominate religion is Luthern and Catholic so you'd expect an accurate count.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 02:52 pm
ricksang wrote:
Gosh, I want to move from the South.

First, the grass on the other side of the hill only looks greener. Additionally, there are religious freaks in the North as well as in the South; in the West, there are just plain freaks, and they're everywhere.
0 Replies

ricksang

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 08:09 pm
Well, I was also thinking of the humid weather too!!!! lol.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 08:44 am
Head for New Mexico or Arizona, then. Still plenty of freaks, religious and otherwise--but with the low population density, you'll be able to avoid them--and the climate is very dry.
0 Replies

ricksang

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 09:08 am
Yeah, our goal is Arizona or out west somewhere. The thing is, I am in school for Interior Design. I want to practice historical preservation. Wonder if they have many historical sites that need to be restored out there???!!!!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 09:11 am
There are probably a lot more of what pass for historical sites in New Mexico than in Arizona--but most of them are being exploited on a regular basis already, i don't know that you'd find restoration or preservation work there--but it would be worth the effort to find out. You'd probably do better in California--although, of course, the freak population density there is high.
0 Replies

ricksang

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 07:20 pm
Lol!! And the housing market is soooo high there.
0 Replies