A happy Bastille Day - with French recipes

Montana

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 11:35 am
Letty wrote:
Happy Bastille Day, Francis. I used to make quiche lorraine and I did have pancakes this morning; they just weren't crepes. Razz

Wow, I had crepes last night, Letty :-D

Apple, cranburry, cinnamon crepe with maple syrup and whipped cream. Yummy :-D
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 11:55 am
Wow! Montana. More synchronicity. The only time I had them was at some upscale restaurant on the outer banks of North Carolina. The chef, of course, did them right at our table. I felt sooooo elegant. Then we returned to our camping spot right on the ocean, and I decided that the wild and unrefined sea was the feral place I longed to be.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 12:02 pm
So cool Letty :-D

I just happen to get some crepes on sale this week at my grocery store and I had some apples that needed using, and I had all the other ingredients, so I made myself a treat after a long day of working in the yard.
It was soooooooo good, I think I'll make another tonight :-D

Back to the yard work, then more crepes :-D
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 12:04 pm
Montana wrote:
I just happen to get some crepes on sale this week at my grocery store and I had some apples that needed using, and I had all the other ingredients,

Did you eat them cold? Or heated them up again Shocked
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 12:07 pm
Everything happen in remote countries. Even crepes in the microwave oven.

Thank you all for your wishes Very Happy
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 12:16 pm
I'm glad you started this thread, Walter.

Made me do some reading - on history and food.

~~~

Happy Bastille Day to all festive folk!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 12:17 pm
Ah, Francis. There's a little bit of the provincial in all of us, but when I dine in haute cuisine, I want someone else to do the fare. <smile>

Now this seems tacky to me. There is a simulation game called the Tour de Crunch. Who would want to do that?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 01:11 pm
I just want to mention that troops from all 27 EU-countries took part at the parade and the the German band Tokyo Hotel (http://i9.tinypic.com/4t9j0nm.gif) was invited by Sarko himself ...
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 01:13 pm
Well, that's the new European army...
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 01:36 pm
Walter, did you mean Tokio Hotel? I found a song by them.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 02:25 pm
since our fair city was actually established by COMTE DE FRONTENAC in 1679 , we'll be celebrating bastille day this afternoon with a fine piece of GRAND MARNIER torte from CHEZ PIGGY bakery - how more french can we be ?
hg

http://www.medarus.org/NM/NMImages/NM-10-05_Img_Others/10_05_Frontenac/Frontenac.jpg
Quote:
Louis de Buade, Comte de Frontenac et de Palluau (May 12, 1622 - November 28, 1698) was a French courtier and Governor General of New France from 1672 to 1682 and from 1689 to his death in 1698. He established a number of forts on the Great Lakes and engaged in a series of battles against the English and the Iroquois.

In his first term, he supported the expansion of the fur trade, establishing Fort Frontenac (in what is now Kingston, Ontario)
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 10:29 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Montana wrote:
I just happen to get some crepes on sale this week at my grocery store and I had some apples that needed using, and I had all the other ingredients,

Did you eat them cold? Or heated them up again Shocked

I heated them up this time, Walter Laughing

Melt butter in sauce pan, cut, core, peel apple and throw in the pan with sugar (Always Splenda for me), cinnamon, and dried cranburries.
Stir, cover and cook on med heat for about 10 minutes, stirring occationally.

Bring mixture over to plate with crepe at room temp, spoon in the middle and roll up.

You can use different toppings, but my favorite is maple syrup and whipped cream :-D

Of course there are tons of other different recipes available, which I will try, eventually.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 10:34 am
Well, I .... actually make the crepe dough, put it on the crepe pan and add the stuff after having turned the crepe around for the first time.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 10:59 am
That's normally what I do as well, but I've been crazy busy renovating in the house and outside, so I'm eating on the run, literally.
I'm surprised I took the time to make the one I had. I never did make another last night, Too wiped out.

Maybe tonight after I finish digging all day, we'll see Laughing
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 11:00 am
Oh, and I make Buckwheat crepes, when I do have the time. Very healthy, so they say :-D
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 11:09 am
"Buckwheat crepes", called 'galettes' in France/French, are really extraordinary tasty. Mmmmmh!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 07:25 pm
You bet they are :-D My grandma made the best buckwheat crepes on the whole darn planet Very Happy

I grew up eating lots and lots of crepes with all kinds of fillings and toppings. Grandma and all my many aunts made/still make their own jam (I just made a few batches myself) and they all make a different variety with different recipes, which have been enjoyed by many for many many years.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 07:30 pm
crepes make great cod-fish baits. Now theres some fine eatin.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 07:31 pm
Is that true? Laughing
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 07:38 pm
maybe it was a burrito.
0 Replies