Texas/New Mexico this fall -- Weather Warnings?

Tai Chi

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 06:00 pm
Mr. Fix-it and I are planning a trip to Texas and New Mexico this fall. Tickets will likely be finalized this weekend. The dates we're looking at are October 20th to November 4th. According to our government website re: travel advisories hurricane season in Texas lasts until the end of November. How worried should we be? What kind of weather should we expect (or does global warming mean all bets are off)? Any and all advice welcome.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,438 • Replies: 30
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 06:05 pm
There is no hurricane season in New Mexico; Oct 20th to Nov 4th would be perfect for al fresco dining. (In New Mexico)
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 06:08 pm
What part of Texas are you going to?

In most parts of Texas you don't have to worry much about hurricanes. That late in the year I wouldn't worry at all.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 06:14 pm
I've not lived in New Mexico long, but the one Oct-November I was here was great.

If you go through Albuquerque, and it's convenient for you, I'd really enjoy meeting you. Dys and Diane and others at a2k know more about specific things/places in NM.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 06:15 pm
If we fly out of Toronto, we'll land in Dallas, if Detroit, then Houston. We're immediately heading south/west to Austin and making a big circle from there (San Antonio, El Paso and up into New Mexico and back again -- that's pretty vague I know but I haven't nailed down all the details yet). Mr. Fix-it is re-creating a trip he took 30+ years ago. I thought we should take the bus and hitchhike for a genuine re-creation but for some reason he's not keen Very Happy
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 06:21 pm
Houston is probably the only place you would have to worry about hurricanes and it doesn't sound like you plan to spend a lot of time there.

My family lived in Galveston for years and years and they only evacuated the island once during that entire time.

If you do spend any time in Houston -- I know a really good Italian restaurant there!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 07:51 pm
Late October early November is my favorite time of year. It's finally cooled down. Can be outside all day....good sleeping weather. I wouldn't worry about hurricanes that late in the season.

If you're coming to Austin, you've got an open invitation to visit me!!

It's very different from 30 years ago, where exactly is your husband looking to visit in this area?
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 07:57 pm
It's my favorite time of year in Houston. Minimal hurricane danger and the weather likely to be perfect.

I'd love to meet you, Tai Chi, if you'll be in Houston long enough for that.

Hey, boomer, what's your great Italian place? Maybe I haven't been there yet!
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 08:00 pm
Run for cover, Chai. Austin is Mr. Fix-it's first and most-looked-forward-to destination (even though the Armadillo World Headquarters no longer exists apparently).
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 08:03 pm
ossobuco wrote:
If you go through Albuquerque, and it's convenient for you, I'd really enjoy meeting you.

I was hoping you'd say that Very Happy
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 08:05 pm
Hi mac! Not sure yet if we'll be landing in Houston but I'll keep you posted.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 08:06 pm
Oh, good!!! (We'll keep in touch about this....)
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 09:49 pm
Be sure to take a drive up Scenic Drive when you get to El Paso. It'll give you a spectacular view of the city and also Ciudad Juarez in Mexico.

http://home.elp.rr.com/infrablues/Downtown_El_Paso%20from%20Scenic%20Drive.jpg
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 10:18 pm
Tai Chi wrote:
ossobuco wrote:
If you go through Albuquerque, and it's convenient for you, I'd really enjoy meeting you.

I was hoping you'd say that Very Happy

I'll say it too, then. Especially if you're there on a weekend.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 10:43 pm
mac11 wrote:
Hey, boomer, what's your great Italian place? Maybe I haven't been there yet!

It's Prego, on Amherst. (http://www.prego-houston.com/) Have you ever been there?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 10:47 pm
Vivace's Cental ave Albuquerque NM
http://www.virtualalbuquerque.com/VirtualABQ/Vivace/Vivace1.jpg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2007 08:44 am
Mmmmmmm, Vivace.....
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2007 08:51 am
Wow...looks like Tai Chi will have lots of people to meet!
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2007 10:57 am
Maybe it's time for a Texas gathering with Tai Chi's visit as an excuse. What do y'all think?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2007 12:18 pm
Sure!
Sounds like fun.
0 Replies