Powell tried to talk Bush out of war

Zippo

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 02:38 pm
From The Sunday Times
July 8, 2007

Powell tried to talk Bush out of war

THE former American secretary of state Colin Powell has revealed that he spent 2½ hours vainly trying to persuade President George W Bush not to invade Iraq and believes today's conflict cannot be resolved by US forces...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article2042072.ece

Rolling Eyes
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 409 • Replies: 10
No top replies

blueflame1

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 03:18 pm
I suppose when Powell lied the world into war at the UN he thought he was doing the honorable thing obeying his CIC. Except now hundreds of thousands of people are dead for no good reason.
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 12:30 am
I seem to remember that most U.S. citizens were for Iraq war because of 9/11, and weapons of mass destruction. Those of us who were against the war from the beginning were a huge minority. Blame the news media. The right information was out there if they had done their job.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 12:02 pm
I blame popular bloodlust.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 12:06 pm
I believe it.

I've long respected Powell. My take is that he felt like he could have more of a positive effect from within than by getting himself fired or resigning. I think he tried his damndest and probably did manage to mitigate a thing or two. But that ultimately it was too frustrating and he got out of there.

There might be some ego mixed in to the picture -- that he really wanted to think of himself as an exemplary public officer, and hated the idea of being fired or smeared in the way that would happen if he made too much of a nuisance of himself. But I really think he tried to do the right thing, and that the whole episode was extremely difficult for him.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 12:09 pm
The mobocracy should have had a clue when Powell went to the UN and the "Guernica" tapestry was covered by blue drapery.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 01:35 pm
I'm amazed that Bush could understand "the Pottery Barn rule" after only 2 -1/2 hours of explanation.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 05:53 pm
The problem is, Bush entered the Pottery Barn for the purpose of breaking everything in sight like the proverbial bull in a china shop, then tried to through up every diversion of political rhetoric to hide that he was at fault. Hiding in the china shop bathroom, he walked out with toilet paper on his shoe and only those with cognitive ability catch on.

That Mission Accomplished takes on an entirely different light if one really thinks about it (even fools have missions).
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 10:42 pm
And yet he went to the UN with that case for war against Iraq knowing full well that the information he would be presenting was, at best, flawed.

He was one person that I would have voted for had he run for president, but I lost all respect for that man after he prostituted himself for the sake of the administration that day.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 10:53 pm
I do believe that anyone who is a product of the Pentagon will be a order taker, it's in their blood to do as they are told. Debate can only be inside of closed doors, never in the public face. Powell is/was a product of the Pentagon. He might possibly reclaim some of his standing but he can never undo what he has wrought.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 06:46 am
I doubt he can reclaim any public standing with those who used to like him then got disgusted when he went on TV at the UN and told known falsehoods. All along there have been those who forgave him knowing he was just being a good company man but its not those people he has to convince.
0 Replies