Offering safe sex for pay...

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2007 02:39 pm
Too bad, Montana. I tried to find this online somewhere so that I can back it up, but didn't fish out anything. I do have it form the Head of Social Infrastructure unit of the City of Amsterdam, however.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2007 02:42 pm
caribou wrote:
Did I hear cupcake?

Yeah, over here ;-)
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2007 02:43 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
Too bad, Montana. I tried to find this online somewhere so that I can back it up, but didn't fish out anything. I do have it form the Head of Social Infrastructure unit of the City of Amsterdam, however.

I believe you, Dag :-D
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2007 02:57 pm
On smoking, I found that the ban will go into effect in July 2008 in Amsterdam - that is for all cafes and restaurants. It will allow for ventillated smoking rooms for cafes with special license or something like that...though that is costly to install. So some of it may survive, but most will probably perish.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2007 03:05 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
both the Red Light District and marijuana are about to vanish from Amsterdam. 40% of the RLD will be closed down this year, rest to follow later. Smoking, including marijuana, will be banned anywhere inside in a few months. Smoking marijuana outside is already illegal, so that's it for Amsterdam as you knew it so far.

I thought smoking was already forbidden in coffeeshops - or perhaps you're right, and it just soon will be - which is definitely ironical. But that wont mean that "marijuana [is] about to vanish" - coffeeshops will still sell it, even if you're not allowed to smoke it in sito.

For sure, they are going to drastically cut the number of coffeeshops. Well, the smoking ban alone will force a bunch out of business; new rules to keep tourists out that oblige the customer to show his passport should put a bunch more out of business, especially in Amsterdam an in border towns; and many city governments are imposing rules like banning coffeeshops from an x meter radius around any school.

So there will definitely be many less, but I'd be extremely surprised if they will "vanish" altogether. No way.

The RLD, I dunno. I know they're planning to clamp down on it and slash its size. Again, closing down the entire RLD as a whole seems a bit of a stretch.. dont think they'd ever get that through the city council. But who knows.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 12:12 am
This thread is dirty.

I'm thinking that sex may be the worst means of making money. If it were absolutly legal, the market would be flooded with retailers. It would be too hard to provide a competitive product. lol. Seriously though, I don't think it should be illegal.

I don't think I'd ever pay for sex, but perhaps I'm still too young and good looking. Ask again after my midlife crisis.

T
K
O
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2007 02:04 pm
An update on Amsterdam's red light district:

Quote:
Pimping ban in Amsterdam?

Radio Netherlands
21-09-2007

The Mayor of Amsterdam, Job Cohen, wants to ban pimping in the city's red light district and other areas where prostitutes work. He says the ban is needed to prevent exploitation and human trafficking, and sees it as the next step in cleaning up the red light district.

Amsterdam's world famous - or infamous - red light district is a network of narrow streets and canals in the historic city centre. Amidst the live sex shows, bars and sex shops, there are around 150 rooms rented to prostitutes, with street-level windows in which they stand to attract custom. But the city council is less enthusiastic about the area than are the hoards of tourists.

Ten years ago a parliamentary commission established that the district was controlled by around 16 people with "serious criminal histories and/or contacts". In recent years, an increasing number of stories have been circulating about human trafficking and forced prostitution in the red light district. The mayor and city council concluded that the district was no longer a tourist attraction to be proud of.

Brothels shut down

The big clean-up started last summer when Amsterdam refused permits to a number of "window" brothel operators. The most important of them was Charles Geerts, owner of large number of premises in the red light district. For years there had been rumours of Geerts' involvement in organised crime, although he had never been convicted. He lost the battle with the council and was forced to close down his businesses. The council is buying up the buildings and wants to rent them out as shops and galleries.

Mr Cohen explains the council's motives:

"Our aim is to combat criminality. To make the district more manageable. To improve the quality of life by reducing the excessive concentration of prostitution, bad-quality cafés and restaurants, and marijuana coffee shops. We want to create more opportunities for bona fide businesses."

Mr Cohen believes the legalisation of prostitution in the Netherlands seven years ago hasn't had the desired effect. Many prostitutes have not become "ordinary employees" or self-employed businesswomen, but are still exploited by pimps. The mayor is therefore calling for a ban on pimping.

Counterproductive

The pressure group for prostitutes, the Red Thread, strongly opposes the council's measures. Spokeswoman Metje Blaak says it is counterproductive to buy up premises in the district:

"The more brothels there are, the less exploitation there is," she says. "Like this Cohen is playing into the hands of exploitation. Because the women who are exploited will now go and work somewhere we can't get to them. You're just sending them deeper into the woods."

Pimping ban

The Red Thread also sees no advantage in a pimping ban. Ms Blaak says the measure is unnecessary because pimping is already illegal. In the criminal code there is indeed an article forbidding "the inducement of women to commit involuntary sexual acts for money". The offence is punishable with a prison sentence of up to eight years. The Red Thread thinks Mr Cohen would do better to enforce the existing law.

Will Amsterdam's new policy lead to the disappearance of its famous red light district? Mr Cohen says he's not out to make prostitution in the district impossible. But that would be nothing to feel sorry about, says Amsterdam councillor Karina Schaapman, herself a former prostitute:

"There are people who are really proud of the red light district as a tourist attraction. It's supposed to be such a wonderful, cheery place that shows just what a free city we are. But I think it's a cesspit. There's a lot of serious criminality. There's a lot of exploitation of women, and a lot of social distress. That's nothing to be proud of."
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2007 02:38 pm
i've nothing about legal prostitution and perhaps what city of amsterdam is doing is not the best way, but it is true that many of the girls in amsterdam have been trafficked in and are kept against their will... i have no studies or data on hand, just going by what i was told when in amsterdam and by what i know of trafficking of slovak and czech girls - most of whom have 2 destinations - germany or amsterdam. Usually they are promised a 'dancing gig'. I was approached by a sleazeball at least twice - each time in Prague. they focus on 13-14 years old... but i digress.
if the pimping ban is not the way, there should be some other way how to deal with the situation in the red light district. it's not as rosy (heh) and happy place as it's often depicted. i found it hugely depressing. most of the women in the windows looked drugged out of their minds, standing zombies.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2007 01:02 pm
nimh wrote:
An update on Amsterdam's red light district

Another one:

Quote:
Sex in the city

Radio Netherlands
05-10-2007

The city of Amsterdam has decided to close a third of all the prostitutes' windows in the red light district. The mayor says the measure is needed to combat organised crime. human trafficking and money laundering. But the Dutch sex workers' union says closing windows will mean more exploitation of women rather than less. Click the link above for a radio broadcast in which an expert panel discusses who is right, how the change will affect the city, and if the Netherlands was right to legalise brothels. Readers chime in by email.
0 Replies