Walter, I am curious.

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 06:44 am
fishin wrote:
Who knew!

They are wearing, btw,Postal Uniforms 933.4 Type 4 (Postal Police) - ask Walter :wink:
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 06:46 am
PTT, Walter! Very Happy (Prone to typos)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 06:55 am
I'm rather sure that there's no PTT-police .... oh, well, yes :wink:
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 07:34 am
fishin wrote:
Heh, ya learn something new every day! Razz

"Nearly 900 Postal Police Officers nationwide are assigned to maintain a safe environment at postal facilities located in major metropolitan areas that are considered "high-risk." In addition to protecting these facilities against potential terrorist attacks (in 2001 the Brentwood Mail Processing Center in Washington, D.C. was the site of a deadly anthrax attack) Postal Police work to ensure the safety of postal employees and managers, as well as the thousands of postal customers who conduct business at postal facilities, often in high-crime areas. "

Who knew!

formed about the time "going postal" became a verb...I guess
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 07:49 am
Saw a great cartoon once. This matronly looking woman is standing on the back porch of a house, and the yard is littered with children lieing with their arms and legs spread, their tongues hanging out, and their eyes closed. One child is standing there with a toy assault rifle, and he's saying: "We're playing Post Office, why?"
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 10:25 am
I guess I'd better brush up on the local history before Walter lands again Wink
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 10:38 am
Well, once in Indiana, I was given a guy to drive me around. It was my weirdest experience in the US.

He had a thick accent I always failed to understand. From all people I met, he was the only one I didn't understand. He was supposed to be from Iowa.

What do you think?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 10:45 am
I think he wasn't from Iowa. People in Iowa have a bland midwestern accent, and most Americans could not tell an Iowan from an Indianan just by listening to them speak. Iowa+"thick accent" just doesn't compute.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 11:33 am
My taxi driver (back to the airport) in Chicago didn't like people from Iowa at all. That refered to their driving, only.

(He was from Nigeria, answering my question if that made troubles, with "Many, and always".
However, he thaught, for a Nigerian, Chicago was the best place to live. After Germany. [Two of his brothers live in Germany.] Laughing )
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 11:36 am
[quote="Francis""]He had a thick accent I always failed to understand. From all people I met, he was the only one I didn't understand. He was supposed to be from Iowa. [/quote]

Swimpy is from Iowa and she is sometimes hard to understand, but I think that is mostly because of the alcohol.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 11:37 am
So, don't drink so much when you talk to her the next time, gustav!
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 11:52 am
<inserts drum roll>
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 12:51 pm
<rim>
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 03:16 pm
Seriously, swimp et.al. Setanta is correct. A midwestern accent is the one that most broadcasters emulate, because it doesn't identify them with any particular section of the country.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 05:46 pm
Swimpy wrote:
<rim>

<shot>
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 01:08 am
I second that request.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 02:43 am
Let's hear it for the US plocie-forces!

A fine body of men.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 02:59 am
that should be boyd of men

btw hope you all had a great 4th of July. Sorry I missed this year. Next year perhaps.

(ps is it still tradition to burn the Union* flag and effigies of the Queen?...or is that just Pakistan these days)

*Union as in the British flag
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 03:21 am
Steve 41oo wrote:

(ps is it still tradition to burn the Union* flag and effigies of the Queen?...or is that just Pakistan these days)

Dont need to wait until 4 July for that!
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 03:34 am
dadpad wrote:
Steve 41oo wrote:

Dont need to wait until 4 July for that!
Indeed they dont. I'm not really concerned, just interested from an anthropological standpoint.
0 Replies