Walter, I am curious.

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 07:19 am
Walter has now visited Chicago, NYC, Boston and northern New Mexico/Colorado and I would like to hear his various opinions/attitudes on the variety of his American experiences.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,395 • Replies: 39
No top replies

panzade

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 07:24 am
me too me too!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 07:31 am
Walter, I am curious also!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 12:28 pm
Walter?
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 12:39 pm
I've visited Illinois (Chicago), Michigan (Detroit), Indiana, Colorado, Arizona, Louisiana, Georgia, Florida, California, Texas, New York, North Carolina, Washington DC.

It makes a lot of different experiences...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 12:56 pm
What Francis says, though I've visited less places (but: hey, I'e crossed Rhode Island, and been in Denver for six hours as well!).
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 01:00 pm
Yeah, but you can tell us more, Walter..
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 01:07 pm
Could, Francis, "tu veux", subjonctif :wink:
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 01:16 pm
Oh come on, you guys, tell us about the differences between places and between your own countries.

For example, Bob had a friend who visited from Leeds and was amazed at things like the amount of food served in restaurants, at all the free booze (and food) in Las Vegas and really blown away by a Navajo cattle drive while driving through the Navajo nation northeast of Monument Valley very near the Arizona/Utah border.

Also, as is common for Europeans visiting the southwest, she was stunned at the distances between places and that the Indians weren't wearing headdresses and that they talked just like any other person. Actually, when I was young, lots of people from the Eastern US used to have that same impression of the Southwest, (I think some still do...). Western movies, ambassadors to the rest of the world. Shoot 'em up, kill 'em dead.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 01:46 pm
Well, I was amazed that all the places did look like as on the photos. :wink:

The most really surprising was that I've never been longer in any (Bavarian) beer tent than in Chicago.

I was surprised how little many Americans know about their own history (like I noticed in Boston, Concord and Lexington.)

The only knowledge Americans seem to have about Germany is within a circle of 5 miles to their barracks when they were stationed in Germany.

Either pro-Bush people were hiding, not talking with me or their aren't any.

The mass-appearance of various plocie-forces still makes me nervous, espcially, well, many aren't really 'citizen-friendly'.

While I (still) find the Midwest and East coast more European-like, parts of ew Mexico made me feel like ... being part of a western movie.

The mountain of northern New Mexico and those parts of Colorado I've been to look like if you had assembled the Alps, the Black Forest, the Vosges, plus half a dozen of other European mountain areas on one place.
Most fascinating scenery I've ever seen!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 10:03 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
The only knowledge Americans seem to have about Germany is within a circle of 5 miles to their barracks when they were stationed in Germany.

Embarrassed I would have said within 5 klicks. (That's army talk for kilometer)

The mass-appearance of various plocie-forces still makes me nervous, espcially, well, many aren't really 'citizen-friendly'.

Interesting observation.

The mountain of northern New Mexico and those parts of Colorado I've been to look like if you had assembled the Alps, the Black Forest, the Vosges, plus half a dozen of other European mountain areas on one place.
Most fascinating scenery I've ever seen!

Oddly, perhaps, but the mountains in the northeastern part of the country are way more spectacular than the Rockys. The eastern mountains start from close to sea level, so their height isn't as great as the western mountains that rise from 6,000 or 8,000 feet
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 01:16 am
It should have been police-forces, of course Embarrassed
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 03:44 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
plocie-forces

What is this, Walter?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 04:41 am
Roberta wrote:
Walter Hinteler wrote:
plocie-forces

What is this, Walter?

I've tried to explain that above, Roberta:

Walter Hinteler wrote:
It should have been police-forces, of course Embarrassed

I mean, you rarely see many and so various (post office police, for instance) police forces in Europe, not usually, at least.

(On the other hand: you rarely see so often unmarked cars with flashing blue lights and turned on police horns as in France :wink: )
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 06:09 am
Thanks for clearing that up, Walter. I can usually figure such things out. Couldn't this time. My synapses are pooping out--like the rest of me.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 06:29 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:

I mean, you rarely see many and so various (post office police, for instance) police forces in Europe, not usually, at least.

Post Office Police??

I wasn't aware that there was any such thing! Shocked
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 06:32 am
Postal Police is the correct name, sorry.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 06:37 am
Nothing to be sorry for Walter! Wink

I'm just a might bit confused on what you are referring to. I don't know of any postal police either! There are, of course, postal inspectors but they are more of an administrative function and they don't wear any sort of uniforms so you wouldn't know that they are an inspector unless you knew them.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 06:39 am
Well, they look similar to other 'policemen' (e.g. Amtrak police, Transit police) and have similar patrol cars, just with US Postal Police on it:

http://i14.tinypic.com/67hcg40.jpg
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 06:42 am
Heh, ya learn something new every day! Razz

"Nearly 900 Postal Police Officers nationwide are assigned to maintain a safe environment at postal facilities located in major metropolitan areas that are considered "high-risk." In addition to protecting these facilities against potential terrorist attacks (in 2001 the Brentwood Mail Processing Center in Washington, D.C. was the site of a deadly anthrax attack) Postal Police work to ensure the safety of postal employees and managers, as well as the thousands of postal customers who conduct business at postal facilities, often in high-crime areas. "

Who knew!
0 Replies