British army museum shows art linking 7/7 to Iraq

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 12:15 pm
http://i17.tinypic.com/6f7tf9j.jpg

Quote:
July 7 relative condemns painting

Relatives of those who died in the 7 July bus bomb in London have criticised a painting which blames UK foreign policy for the attack.

Truth or Consequences, which is to go on display at the National Army Museum in Chelsea, west London, was described as "insensitive and over simplistic".

In it, the former Prime Minister Tony Blair is placed next to the shattered remains of the double-decker bus.

The museum said it was for people to make up their own minds.

Second anniversary

British pop artist Gerald Laing created the artwork.

When viewed from a different angle, Mr Blair becomes US President George Bush and the bus turns into Baghdad during the Iraq war bombing campaign.

The painting goes on display on Monday night - five days before the second anniversary of the terror attacks which killed 52 innocent people.

Mr Laing, a former Army officer, said: "No establishment organisations wanted to show the painting. They don't want to bite the hand that feeds them.

"I was very impressed by the National Army Museum's decision to show this."

But John Falding, whose partner Anat Rosenberg, 39, died in the Tavistock Square bus bomb, said the painting was "insensitive".

Mr Falding was talking to Ms Rosenbery by mobile phone when Hasib Hussain detonated a bomb, killing himself and 13 people.

He said: "It's a bit glib. The painting is making capital out of what's happened by making a political point.

"It's still very upsetting every time you see that image of the bus. It's insensitive and over simplistic."

Dr Peter Boyden from the Army museum said: "It's certainly something that people have got to make their own minds up about. That's what we're putting it on display for.

"That's very much part of the role of museums."

Source report

Source for photo: Evening Standard, Late West End edition, 02.07.07, page 24
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 454 • Replies: 1
No top replies

contrex

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 12:38 pm
I am impressed by the National Army Museum's decision too. It is actually quite well known that many senior figures in the British Army believe we should not be in Iraq, and that being there has made Britain less safe.

I do not believe that the relatives of bomb victims should have veto powers over works of art with political content.

So bravo Gerald Laing I say.
0 Replies