Dem asks for money for an airport

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 04:07 pm
And the airport doesnt exist!!!

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2007/6/29/110958.shtml?s=ic

Quote:
Democratic Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr. has put in an earmark request for the Abraham Lincoln National Airport Commission. The trouble is, the airport doesn't exist - and the commission is run by one of Jackson's congressional staffers.

Quote:
The money request comes even though in 2006 Jackson had vowed on his Web site: "I won't pursue federal funds for the Abraham Lincoln National Airport."

So,why is he asking for the money?
I find this a little suspicious.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 398 • Replies: 5
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 04:14 pm
In order to promote development of a new commercial airport in the suburban region south of Chicago, Illinois, several Illinois municipal corporations banded together to create a Joint Airport Commission, as authorized in the Illinois Constitution (620 ILCS 20/2). The organization established through their actions is known as the Abraham Lincoln National Airport Commission.

Signatories to the Intergovernmental Agreement that established the Commission, and which are entitled to appoint commissioners to the Board of the Commission, are the following communities:

* Village of University Park
* Village of Park Forest
* Village of Elk Grove Village
* Village of Calumet Park
* Village of South Holland

In addition, 20 municipalities or member communities have joined the Commission by adopting an intergovernmental agreement.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 04:21 pm
And you dont find it odd that the head of the commission is a member of Jackson's congressional staff?

That sure smells fishy to me.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 04:26 pm
Well MM there may be a legitimate complaint here, it's really hard to tell; not many facts offered and the source is newsmax which makes the issue questionable to begin with. I don't suppose you are suggesting that there might be an ethics question here regarding ear-marking because that would be just so totally bizarre in lieu of the billions of $$ ear-marked by both the repubs (the alaska bridge to nowhere) and the dems; so I'm wondering why this particular ear-mark caught your eye as opposed to the 1,000's of others. Why not take a stab at addressing the total concept of ear-marking or would that be too non-partisan for you to endure?
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 05:39 pm
dyslexia wrote:
Well MM there may be a legitimate complaint here, it's really hard to tell; not many facts offered and the source is newsmax which makes the issue questionable to begin with. I don't suppose you are suggesting that there might be an ethics question here regarding ear-marking because that would be just so totally bizarre in lieu of the billions of $$ ear-marked by both the repubs (the alaska bridge to nowhere) and the dems; so I'm wondering why this particular ear-mark caught your eye as opposed to the 1,000's of others. Why not take a stab at addressing the total concept of ear-marking or would that be too non-partisan for you to endure?

No,its not too partisan.
If you had read ALL of my posts over the years you would have seen that I have said several times that earmarking by both parties is ridiculous,stupid,and ripping off the taxpayer.

My point with this one is the fact that the head of the commission is on Jacksons congressional staff.
That smells fishy to me.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 09:54 pm
mysteryman wrote:
dyslexia wrote:

No,its not too partisan.
If you had read ALL of my posts over the years you would have seen that I have said several times that earmarking by both parties is ridiculous,stupid,and ripping off the taxpayer.

My point with this one is the fact that the head of the commission is on Jacksons congressional staff.
That smells fishy to me.

yeap, glad you're so set on rootin' out those "earmarks."

ops.......Democratic and Republican appropriators are accusing President Bush of urging Congress to pack spending bills with pet projects despite his high-profile crackdown on earmarks this year.

http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/bush-called-out-for-his-earmarks-2007-06-28.html

Quote:
A House Appropriations Committee report accompanying legislation funding the Department of the Interior shows that Bush requested 93 of the 321 earmarks in the bill. A panel report for the financial services and general government spending bill showed that Bush requested 17 special projects worth $947 million, more than any single member of Congress.

http://thinkprogress.org/2007/06/28/bush-hypocritically-loads-up-on-earmarks/

Quote:
Bush is the biggest earmarker (and hypocrite) of them all: Democratic and Republican appropriators are accusing President Bush of urging Congress to pack spending bills with pet projects despite his high-profile crackdown on earmarks this year. A House Appropriations Committee report accompanying legislation funding the Department of the Interior shows that Bush requested 93 of the 321 earmarks in the bill.

http://seesdifferent.wordpress.com/2007/06/28/1074/

I'm sure you have no objection to posting 93 more threads showing your indignance about the 93 earmarks of Gerorge Bush, objective that you are?

btw: They ought to have hung Don Seigalman down these parts, not put him in jail. You missed it, yet another Democratic governor convicted of felonies.

Remember what I said about breaking of a public trust? I support the death penalty.

I hope his cell mate pushes his $hit in up to his eyeballs for all seven and a half years.

He was given great public power and he fu*ked every citizen of Alabama, so I figure turn-about ought to be fair play, even by proxy.
0 Replies