Reupholstry Question

fishin

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2003 02:13 pm
So umm.. I've got this set of dinning room chairs that have some nasty cranberry-red burlap type fabric covering the seats and I bought some nice heavy fabric to recover them with. These are your standard wood-framed chairs with the seat attached with 4 screws from the underside. The seat padding is attached to plywood.

What size staples should I use for this? I have just about every size available but a 3/8" length enough? Does it matter if the old material be removed? (It isn't torn or anything, just nasty looking.)

Has anyone on A2K ever done much of this stuff? Any tips?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,596 • Replies: 7
No top replies

quinn1

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2003 02:23 pm
becuase the fabric you have selected is a light background and the current fabric is a solid dark color
ahem

Wink
I would suggest removing the old fabric....unless of course it wont bleed through the new fabric...both in visual and well...you know..beer stains and all that.

Ive done both...removing and go over...all depends on the fabric at hand and the fabric in place and the state of the cushion.

Regarding the plywood...regular size/width? Just as in nailing I would go with a standard length not to protrude past the plywood but to also keep a strong bond.

I would also suggest that if you will not be finishing the edges of the fabric, you might want to run a little hot glue so as not to fray/rip etc later on when you've sat in them a while.

And, my final suggestion would be to start on the length and finish on the corners, pulling tight.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2003 02:27 pm
There ya go.

Didja go to fab freddy's?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2003 02:35 pm
quinn1 wrote:
I would suggest removing the old fabric....unless of course it wont bleed through the new fabric...both in visual and well...you know..beer stains and all that.

Shocked Beer stains? Me? How'd ya know? Very Happy

littlek wrote:
Didja go to fab freddy's?

Yuppers! Wink Snuck over there this morning. Lot's of really bright yellows and other interesting stuff. Oiy. Saw plenty of pirate outfit material! lol
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2003 02:38 pm
Dangit! And I don't have time to get there by 5pm at this point! {grin}
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2003 03:40 pm
Ah k...you missed out on the fab 70's velour and boxes of chains...however a great deal of the boxes were marked Watertown..my guess is he's just getting out of the plaza that looks to be deserted, or soon to be anyway.

beer stains? Well, yeah that was just a lucky guess. Smile
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2003 05:08 pm
aaaaah, Watertown would be good for me! I was just there. I seem to spend most of my money in that area.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2003 07:46 am
You could wind some cotton batting over the old fabric before applying the new fabric - that would hide the color and make the seat a bit softer to boot.

I'm a textile junkie. I reupholster my dining room chairs several times a year. I tell you this only as a warning that such projects can be addictive.
0 Replies