Mommy Is Truly Dearest: mothers & daughters

eoe

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2007 10:07 am
The year before she passed, my mother came down to visit us for two weeks. Then I persuaded her to stay another week. Then another. She ended up staying for an entire month and it cost me 100.00 in cancelled flight fees but I didn't care. She loved being here and we loved having her here.
My big-headed brother finally called after week three and had the gaul to ask me "Just when are you going to let MY mother come home?" Laughing Talk about taking things for granted? He'd let weeks go by before he even called her, let alone run by the house to see her, but he just couldn't stand the fact that she not there.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2007 10:09 am
Wow. It's sure nice to know that such things are possible.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2007 10:10 am
Hey Soz, is your mom still poisoning the Sozlet?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2007 10:23 am
Poisoning?!!

Oh, the "My mom makes my kid sick" thing? It's definitely happened a few more times -- she visits, sozlet gets sick when she's here or shortly thereafter -- but sozlet's illnesses are less dramatic in general these days and I figure there's not much I can do about it besides standard hand-washing and such, and I'm not even actually sure there's a link, so... <shrug>
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2007 10:30 am
I just remembered that...it was kinda funny. You were going to try and stop your mom from kissing her grandbaby. Shocked
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2007 10:33 am
My mother has always been the June Cleaver type, she put her children
first, made many sacrifices for us, and was always on our side. I love
her dearly, and although we're thousands of miles away, we speak twice
a week on the phone and we visit often. I can't imagine life without her.

I also have a very close relationship with my daughter, she confides in me, even for her difficult subjects, and she is very fond and loving towards my mother - her grandmother - just as I do. Like aiden, my daughter is adopted, so I am especially pleased of the affectionate relationship my daughter has with my mother.

Hopefully my daughter and I can continue just like my mother and I do.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2007 10:39 am
Was not! I just checked to make sure.

It was an ill-advised title though.

Mostly, I just don't have any of this kind of thing with my mom, and she didn't have any of it with her mom (when I was a kid, family reunions were something to endure, and she complained all the way there and all the way back -- which I've been careful to NOT do with sozlet, even though my relationship with my mom is less than stellar), and my dad didn't have it with his mom, so it's not something I've seen firsthand. If sozlet and I are able to craft something like what you guys are talking about, that'd be wonderful. We'll see.
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2007 09:46 am
The reason why I am at the computer just now is that I should call my mother and try to put it off...
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2007 12:50 pm
I just talked to mine, urs. Cool
How does your mother feel about your estranged relationship? Is she
indifferent to it or would she like to be more part of your life?
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 02:17 pm
Well, CJ, she never was much part of my life. Now that they live in Hungary she looks back and sees a different past than I do. A couple of weeks ago I tried to explain my point of view to her and my feelings. She didn't quite understand what I was trying to tell her because in her mind we were always this very happy perfect family. I don't believe that she really wants to be part of my life. She wants me to come to Hungary whenever she feels alone. She wants to show me off to her neighbours. She is always using people and I've had enough of it.
0 Replies

DrMom

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2007 08:44 pm
Bookmarking
0 Replies