Saying goodby to the garbage man and other stories.

sozobe

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 06:19 pm
For real!

Excellent idea, ehBeth...!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 06:21 pm
Really, they did.

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2749673#2749673

Quote:
Portland is a very green and clean little Pacific Northwest city that geographically and culturally sits about midway between Vancouver and San Francisco. We are immediately adjacent to the university in a nice building that has a pool up top and a microbrew pub at ground level.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 06:28 pm
Boomer, get in touch right away as they will be driving down to Dallas, coming through ABQ--lucky for us. Probably in the first week of August.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 06:32 pm
So.

Shall I send a little "you don't know me but...." PM?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 06:33 pm
I bet they know you...!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 06:34 pm
Bernie knows all the hot mamas.

Send him a pm - he'll know who you are (and so will Lola).
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 06:36 pm
When I moved my tons of stuff, I got boxes from our co-op grocers (small ones, for going in other boxes), from u-haul (osso makes violent faces, crosses eyes at money flying to the sky), and ended up buying a bunch of plastic storage containers (I know, I know, I use mostly glass in my kitchen, but anyway) on sale at Target. They've lasted pretty well through the move, and now I have garage storage containers. For my paintings, which are pretty big and need protection when being moved, and some other big items, I raided the dumpster behind the framer next door to our gallery/studio on a near daily basis. No paintings hurt in my packing-opening so far, and I'm getting near the end of the unpacking.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 06:38 pm
Well okay then.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 07:49 pm
New house: x + $36,000.

New roof for new house: $13,000

New windows for upper floor: $4,000

Mo getting to spend the night with Grandma P and me sneaking out for a date with Mr. B: Priceless

Finally telling Auntie T to stick it: Priceless + $36,000.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 03:08 pm
Yay for Date Night! And for telling off Auntie T too.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 09:06 am
Yeah, that was great.

It is now close -15 and move -23; things are getting nutty.

Almost everything is packed, the POD will be delivered this week, Mo is now liking the idea of moving and Mr. B is doing a serious freak out so it's me, the one who didn't really want to move, who has to hold everything together.

Mo's change of heart came in a Honda backpack.

His old pack was held together with paper clips. He'd carried it for years. I knew he needed a new one but every time we stopped to look he got mad, insisting that the old one was fine.

I stumbled across a Harley Davidson kid's pack online and showed it to Mo. "Cool. But I ride a Honda. I want a Honda backpack".

Easier said than done, it turns out.

I couldn't find one online so I started visiting motorcycle shops. Finally there it was, a Honda pack! Oh joy!

Mo decided it would be an excellent idea to play school. He was the teacher and I was the new student. Our first lesson was about sticks.

I raised my hand and when called on I explained that I was a new student and that I was kind of scared. The Good Teacher then took me on a tour - the cafeteria, the principal's office, the closest bathroom. He told me not to be afraid. He patted my hand. He offered help. He assigned homework -- find a good stick and bring it back to class.

The real turnabout came when I was filling out the enrollment form though. "Name student prefers to be called: ______________".

In the past Mo has changed his name a lot but for the last four months he's been "Mark".

"Hey pal, I say, at the new school do you want to be called Mo, or Mark?"

"I can do that?" says he.

"Yep. Thing is -- once I put that on here everyone will call you Mark for years to come. Are you sure you want to be Mark?"

So Mark it is.

Yesterday Mo says "I'm starting to like this idea of moving."

I said "That makes me really happy, Mark."

Now I just have to find a way to calm Mr. B down.

I miss getting to be the unhinged one around here.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 11:11 am
What a wonderful turn of events. Sweet teacher Mo. You must be very proud... when you're not overwhelmed.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 11:13 am
Role playing rocks. And yeah, sounds pretty overwhelming.

When does school start?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 12:33 pm
School starts September 4.

I can't even get him enrolled until after the 15th because we don't have any proof of address. It'll be a whirlwind.

Mr. B is in weird frantic mode. This is really strange for him -- he is usually so laid back. He never does anything without considering all the avenues so his big freak out is alarming.

One of our neighbors is selling his house in a "I got caught cheating on my wife emergency liquidation" and he's letting it go for about $15,000 less than what we were planning on asking for ours. Their house is a little bigger but our house is a lot nicer. Still, Mr. B is totally spazzing.

It'll all be over soon.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 10:13 am
Well hell's bells.

We just had a call from the trust that owns the house. They have decided that they do want to go for that tax deal and want to move the closing date back.

Luckily we have some signed thing from when we put down ernest money that closing would be on the 15th.

Mr. B told them no deal on moving the date and that if there is a delay we'll charge $x per day and that if we can't move in by the time school starts the whole deal is off.

Here we sit with our house dismantled and 90% of our stuff loaded, and now this.

This sucks.

But at least we haven't put our house on the market yet.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 10:17 am
Oof!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 04:58 pm
Oof indeed.

Ah well. If they go back on our contract they have to give us our earnest money back, I'll still be in a house I like, and it will be really super clean.

Que sera, sera.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 05:10 pm
This is hard to believe!
I'd be wild...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 05:11 pm
Yikes!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 05:12 pm
I didn't know sellers can void a contract like that.
0 Replies