American paranoia?

Foofie

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 09:14 pm
Re: American paranoia?
Danish wrote:

Do you guys really think all Europeans hate USA? It almost sounds like someone is doing some propaganda work to prevent us all from liking each other too much. Laughing

Would like to see a lot of replies from you Americans. Smile

I believe "hate" is not what many Americans think Europeans feel towards them. However, I personally do believe there are quite a few people in all other countries that are envious of what Americans have in the way of material goods, lifestyle (including a stable political system and economy), and the belief that Americans have a sense of superiority.

Also, many Americans live in regions/towns/suburbs/cities where the rest of the world is just not on their radar. They are interested in the mundane things, like local sports teams, local politics, local news, local shopping, etc. That's part of the beauty of America; we don't have to worry about another country invading us, so we have the luxury of living in our own comfortable part of the world.

Many Americans are deeply steeped in the American popular culture of music, tv, movies, hobbies, etc., etc.

Please don't make the mistake in thinking that many Americans are lamenting over any Europeans that may not love Americans. Don't forget, when a European meets an American, he/she is meeting an infinitesimal part of the American population, and a part that has a wanderlust. I believe the majority of Americans spend most of their lives in the 50 states, and are content with that. There is the somewhat obligatory post college trip to Europe for many younger Americans, but when that is over, I believe many return happily for a life in the States, enjoying the life that is here.

In my own opinion, American interest in Europe and the rest of the world is waning. Many Americans now vacation only in the States, I believe. The one country that might have a continuing interest for Americans, to a larger degree, is England. We do share a language, and our cultures are similar, and I personally believe that WWII was a bonding experience for the two countries.

Candidly, I don't care for Europeans and their continental ways. I'm sort of xenophobic, in that I just like Americans.

Lastly, why should anyone think the world dislikes Americans? It's the rest of the world that is learning (American) English. If Americans who speak English learn a second language in school, it is most likely Spanish, since that is becoming a second language in a few parts of the country. And, Spanish speaking Americans are just as American as English speaking Americans. What a lovely country.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 11:18 pm
Foofie, read your post and agree with 85% of it.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 12:05 am
I have a different take on Americans and America, and how many outside our country thinks of us.

During the past 50 plus years, many countries have become westernized American-style. They emulate us in many ways when they can, and wonder about the country that has been the world's superpower - both economically and militarily - for over fifty years. A country made up of peoples from all over the world, and still have a somewhat stable political life when compared to Europe or Asia.

The world's most famous artists and athletes desire to come to the US to practice their art and sports skills; this is where they can earn the kind of income that allows them to have homes in their own country and also elsewhere.

Coke and McDonalds are world famous, and most major cities around the world have them - including KFC, Pizza Hut, and now Starbucks.

Professionals such as scientists and doctors wish to come to the US to practice their skills, because this is where we have money for R&D. Many of the top students come to the US to study in our secondary schools and universities.

I have traveled extensively around the world - to over 100 countries and all seven continents, and have always felt safe and welcome. I have friends in Europe, Asia, Australia, Russia, Tanzania, Iran, South America, and Canada - and ofcoarse all across the US.

Many of my travels include get-togethers with families and children of the countries we visit, and I find most people happy in their own countries. Some of them are overnite stays with host families where we share dinner, evening of talking, and breakfast before we say our goodbyes.

Many people in this world struggle to survive, and that includes the US. Some of us are lucky enough to have the means to travel around the world to meet people of different cultures and living standards.

And what Foofie said about many learning American English is true: some of the best career fields is in the tourism industry as a trip leader for American tourists. They can earn more in tips than many in the professions earning a salary. Our local guide in Bucharest is a dentist, but earns more as a tour director. Our guide in India was trained as an engineer, but changed to the tourism industry to earn more money. They are usually the smartest in their country, and would venture to say they usually speak more languages than the tourist they guide. Our guide in Guatemala speaks four languages, and is one of the premier Mayan historians. He lectures at universities in the US and the UK frequently.

I like most people that I have met in my travels, and keep in touch with many of them.

There are people all over the world that love or hate Americans and visa-versa. That's usually the result of ignorance; most people have the same dreams and desires.
0 Replies

BlueAwesomeness

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 10:16 pm
Re: American paranoia?
Danish wrote:
I hope that the headline will make people curious. Hehe

I'm from Denmark and I often talk to Americans online. I like to hear stuff from other countries in the world. Smile
One thing I don't understand though is why you (Americans) seem to think that everyone in the world hates you. Hehe it makes no sense to me at all. I don't know a single person who hates Americans... We don't really have any reason to hate you as far as I know. :wink:
To us (me and the people I know) USA is just another country like Canada, France, Japan, Kenya etc. We don't really hate any country. Confused
Still I often see stuff like this: (the following is a quote from an American talking about the German national anthem.)

"I love Germany with all my heart the song is beautiful and the countryside is unlike anything I have ever seen. Plus the people were friendly to me even though I was American, and there are not many places in Europe that can account for that. It really is a beautiful land with awesome people."

I don't get it... Where in Europe do people treat Americans bad? Shocked
Of course you can find stupid people in every country in the world but unless you plan on taking a trip to a country you're at war with, I don't really see what the problem is. Hehe
Do you guys really think all Europeans hate USA? It almost sounds like someone is doing some propaganda work to prevent us all from liking each other too much. Laughing

Would like to see a lot of replies from you Americans. Smile

A classmate of mine went to England. She said that many of the English people were really rude to her, presumably because she was an American tourist.

The hardcore Muslims hate America and think it's evil.

I remember reading somewhere once some mean comments from French people about America. (Though I'll admit some Americans have said unkind things about France. But we're only joking around.)

We had a class discussion about this once. Some of my classmates thought that the countries who dislike us do so because some of the tourists from America are loud, obnoxious, or rude, therefore they classify all Americans as that.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 09:54 am
If you think Americans are rude, you should visit Paris. LOL
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 09:59 am
I was in Spain briefly in (counting.....) maybe 1884, or so. I went to a discotheca with my brother to drink more than to dance (well, he danced). I sat and had a gin y tonic near a French man who refused to speak to me in English. Seemed he hated Americans.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 10:02 am
littlek, I was in Spain at the same time; isn't that a coincidence? We cudda danced the night away....
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 10:05 am
I love Spain.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 10:07 am
CI - you could have danced with my brother! I don't dance. I was there in May-ish, the discotecha was in Madrid.

Dys, during that trip, my father fell in love the the country too. For a while he kept saying he was going to move there (like when Bush became president).
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 10:09 am
littlek wrote:
CI - you could have danced with my brother! I don't dance. I was there in May-ish, the discotecha was in Madrid.

Dys, during that trip, my father fell in love the the country too. For a while he kept saying he was going to move there (like when Bush became president).
I would move to Espana in a New York minute.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 10:09 am
What do you like about it, Dys?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 10:22 am
I'd like to chime in why I love Spain. Spain has so many characters to it that it doesn't seem like one country but many. Madrid is different from Barcelona or Seville. The north is different from the south, and the east different from the west. Many of the old towns and villages have their own character too! Most have a Plaza Mayor or main square, but that's about the only commonality one sees. The architecture, the arts, and museums can keep anyone busy for years. It takes some hunting to find some good food, but their wines are very good. I never tire of visiting Barcelona.
0 Replies