American paranoia?

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 11:34 am
Yes, Aalborg .... and the officers mass at Flyvestation Aalborg ... and their Brass Band ...
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 11:54 am
Yes ! The band - I remember ! They did the standing on the table things in the beerhalls in town as well. It was a good two days -
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 12:16 pm
They played for us when we arrived ... couldn't get all members when we left so it wasn't more than a small combo ...
0 Replies

Danish

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 12:31 pm
We're way too nice in Denmark... Laughing
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 10:55 pm
I would presume it unlikely that people from the countries that mostly hate America wouldn't visit this particular forum.

As far as I know the Middle East and South America have a high % of the population that hold a particular dislike for the US.

There are also those, like many in Australia, who have a particular image of Americans due to US TV shows, and many Americans rather loud nature when travelling overseas, the latter part which rubs many Australians the wrong way. Having visited the US, this image doesn't seem at all accurate.

Of course I would presume that Americans (as a whole) well known ignorance of most things non American probably irritates some people (I had a rather funny question asked of me by an American online "Is Australia a free country" , like in democratically free)
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 11:11 pm
Well, is it???
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 04:01 am
Danish wrote:
Amigo:
I see. That's your choice... I still don't think the European countries share that lack of respect though. Smile
If it's that bad, why don't you go to Canada or Europe or something then? :wink:
Why move.

http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=14965

In time it will be the same everywhere and if your country doesn't like it you always have the El Salvador option.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6802629/site/newsweek

Ironically what we were doing in El Salvador in the early 80's is what made me politically active and now (that is intill recently) I find myself fighting the same exact people doing the same exact thing only far, far more powerful. They exploited mans lesser nature and won. Very Happy

I am a free person today. I allow people to be what they allow themselvles to be.

P.S. Do they have a School of Denmark like they do aSchool of the Americas
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 04:36 am
Interesting thread, Danish. I recall a book titled The Ugly American which basically described an American abroad as becoming someone else: brash, loud, and unpleasant.

I have no way of knowing if that is still the case, but I wonder if it is.

Amigo, are you Hispanic? Please remember that Americans are NOT always the government, my friend.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 04:41 am
Half European ans half Mexican. But I put all race aside (among other things) so I can see the world in a truer and more just form.

"An injustice to one is an injustice to all" no matter race, country or religion."
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 08:26 am
Amigo wrote:
Half European ans half Mexican. But I put all race aside (among other things) so I can see the world in a truer and more just form.

"An injustice to one is an injustice to all" no matter race, country or religion."

It has been long clear here that you do indeed see the world in a unique way. Undoubtedly it is the result of your superior detachment and virtue, as you say.

Lesser beings might fail to detect your superiority and merely attribute these characteristics to paranoia and ignorance.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 09:17 pm
georgeob1, like your political ideals you are always big on spun opinions with little respect to facts.

Am I now being diagnosed as ignorant and paranoid with a superiority complex?

We are all beside the truth. I am not a subject to be considered inless of course there is some motive in making my character the subject that serves to deviate us from the truth of the actual subject.

Which of course would make perfect sense and in the end is a part of a part of a part of a condition that I have no control over but at least can refuse to play any part in.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 09:32 pm
Amigo wrote:

I'm Japanese, but have the same philosophy of life. Our family makeup includes "all of the above." Something I had never thought possible in my youth. I believe this is one of the best and worst generation.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 11:16 pm
I'm very glad somebody with your character agrees with me cicerone.

Yes, the best and the worst, the selfish vs the enlightened.

I think the enlightened are approaching a time in history where we understand we must put aside Religion, race, nationalism and all these things that are ultimately exploited by and for the selfish to pit us against eachother.

Once these facades drop away we will be able to see who is who without their guises, fronts and tools of mass manipulation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humanism
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 11:22 pm
True enough; however, the enlightened (whoever they are and whoever detemines who they be) seem to be fewer and farther between. It appears that there's greater accessibility of information by the masses than ever (information age) with less seeming comprehension and less critical thinking by the masses ... or at least so it appears to me.

Let's not be naive to history as it shows us that these superficial traits will continue to be exploited by powers-that-be to their own selfish advantage at the peril of society as a whole.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 11:57 pm
I can't agree with you more ragman.

I think in Western culture the downfall of our enlightenment is materialism. We have been reduced to marketing subjects and consumers.The fatter and greedier we are the healthier the market is.

And if the market is healthy we think somehow that civilization is going in the right direction. But who is on the flipside of this market and what of freedom and democracy there?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2007 09:59 am
Yeah, as one line in a movie has correctly stated "greed is good!" The only problem is, they forgot about ethics and humanity along the way to their riches.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2007 10:29 am
Amigo wrote:
I'm very glad somebody with your character agrees with me cicerone.

Yes, the best and the worst, the selfish vs the enlightened.

I think the enlightened are approaching a time in history where we understand we must put aside Religion, race, nationalism and all these things that are ultimately exploited by and for the selfish to pit us against eachother.

Once these facades drop away we will be able to see who is who without their guises, fronts and tools of mass manipulation.

I am always very amused by the self-congratulatory hypocrisy and illusions of those who anoint themselves with the mantles of true enlightenment and unselfishness.

Unfortunately their ridiculous pretenstions often hide the harm they will do if given the chance. The historical track record of the self appointed elites who know what is good for other mortals and who insist that they abandon all other loyalties for the new whatever that moves the new vanguard -- is pretty grim. In view of the awful history of the 20th century, it is disappointing to see equivalent soft-headed nonsense circulating again, even in such unpromising quarters.. However, humanity is large and, as P.T. Barnum famously said, "There's one born every minute".
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2007 10:43 am
It's not a matter of "self-congratulatory" to have a belief in equality. There will always exist conflict in this arena no matter how idealistic either side may wish to influence society.

Homophobia, gender bias, and racial bigotry will not disappear any time soon.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2007 11:04 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
It's not a matter of "self-congratulatory" to have a belief in equality. There will always exist conflict in this arena no matter how idealistic either side may wish to influence society.

Homophobia, gender bias, and racial bigotry will not disappear any time soon.

Perhaps. However it is absurd to proclaim both a belief in equality and the notion that the speaker is one of the rare, few truly enlightened -- all in the same breath. This individual has already proclaimed he has no further respect for Americans, while affirming his superior enlightenment and love for mankind.

I have said nothing to deny the equal moral worth of all human beings. That is not and never has been the issue here. Instead I have reacted to the foolish and contradictory pretensions of a contemporary Miniver Cheevy.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2007 12:03 pm
If the speaker feels "enlightened," what harm has it done anyone? Criticism also has its place; please challenge the idea, not the "feeling."

I do not believe I have ever claimed to be "enlightened." If you look far and deep, you'll find the reverse on claims about myself.
0 Replies