Conscience or superego?

neologist

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 09:17 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
IFF: Examples: Lying is wrong. Killing is wrong. Stealing is wrong. Compassion is good.

Now, tell us when lying, killing or stealing is right?
Are you asserting that lying, killing and stealing are always wrong? If so, are those moral imperatives inborn or learned?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 09:30 pm
IFeelFree wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:
Let's say that a person born limbless is fitted with artificial limbs, and thereafter learns how to ride a bike. Would you say that he had an innate capacity to ride a bike? Or would you say that he was born without any capacity to ride a bike and just learned it?

He learned it.

If some people who can ride a bicycle were born without the innate capacity to ride a bicycle, how do you know that people who act morally weren't born without the capacity to act morally?

IFeelFree wrote:
Because I have a suspicion that you are not a machine, but actually a human being! If that is true, you probably have made decisions and based action on all kinds of subjective feelings without the need for empirical proof that those feelings reflected an objective truth. When you fell in love (assuming you have) did you require objective proof?

No, but then just because my feelings are facts for me doesn't mean they are facts for anyone else.

IFeelFree wrote:
Examples: Lying is wrong. Killing is wrong. Stealing is wrong. Compassion is good.

In all circumstances?

IFeelFree wrote:
Imagine that, I actually make judgments based, not entirely on logical calculations and objective facts, but also factor in my subjective feelings and intuition! What a weirdo I must be!

That's one possibility.
0 Replies

IFeelFree

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 09:49 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
IFF: Examples: Lying is wrong. Killing is wrong. Stealing is wrong. Compassion is good.

Now, tell us when lying, killing or stealing is right?

When it prevents a greater harm from occurring. Right/wrong are always situational.
0 Replies

IFeelFree

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 10:07 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
If some people who can ride a bicycle were born without the innate capacity to ride a bicycle, how do you know that people who act morally weren't born without the capacity to act morally?

Perhaps they were. However, acting morally requires the ability to have certain emotional reactions. For example, you probably wouldn't help others in need, as a rule, if you didn't feel some compassion for their suffering. I imagine it would be a lot more difficult if not impossible to teach that, as opposed to teaching someone how to ride a bicycle.
Quote:
No, but then just because my feelings are facts for me doesn't mean they are facts for anyone else.

Precisely. That has been my argument in other threads regarding the validity of spiritual experience. It is convincing evidence to the person who has it, even if it is of limited value to anyone else.
Quote:
IFeelFree wrote:
Examples: Lying is wrong. Killing is wrong. Stealing is wrong. Compassion is good.

In all circumstances?

No. Moral actions are always situation-dependent. However, moral principles can be stated in the abstract.
Quote:
IFeelFree wrote:
Imagine that, I actually make judgments based, not entirely on logical calculations and objective facts, but also factor in my subjective feelings and intuition! What a weirdo I must be!

That's one possibility.

So there are other possibilities? In other words, it might not be weird to factor human emotions into our decisions?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 10:27 pm
IFF: When it prevents a greater harm from occurring. Right/wrong are always situational.

I agree.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 09:42 am
IFeelFree wrote:
Perhaps they were. However, acting morally requires the ability to have certain emotional reactions.

That's getting very close to a circular argument. In effect, you argue that a person must have the capacity to act morally in order to act morally, and you can tell if a person has a capacity to act morally by the fact that he acts morally. That argument, however, just proves itself -- it means nothing.

IFeelFree wrote:
Quote:
IFeelFree wrote:

In all circumstances?

No. Moral actions are always situation-dependent. However, moral principles can be stated in the abstract.

"Lying is wrong" is not an abstract moral principle -- there's nothing abstract about it. And if the real rule is that "lying is wrong, except under certain circumstances," then there must be another moral rule that handles the exceptions.

IFeelFree wrote:
So there are other possibilities? In other words, it might not be weird to factor human emotions into our decisions?

No, there's is the possibility that you are something other than a weirdo.
0 Replies

IFeelFree

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 10:36 am
joefromchicago wrote:
IFeelFree wrote:
Perhaps they were. However, acting morally requires the ability to have certain emotional reactions.

That's getting very close to a circular argument. In effect, you argue that a person must have the capacity to act morally in order to act morally, and you can tell if a person has a capacity to act morally by the fact that he acts morally. That argument, however, just proves itself -- it means nothing.

I said nothing about our ability to "tell if a person has a capacity to act morally". Please don't put words in my mouth.
Quote:
IFeelFree wrote:
Quote:
IFeelFree wrote:

In all circumstances?

"Lying is wrong" is not an abstract moral principle -- there's nothing abstract about it. And if the real rule is that "lying is wrong, except under certain circumstances," then there must be another moral rule that handles the exceptions.

"Lying is wrong" is indeed an abstract moral principle. Its not referring to a particular act of lying, it is a statement about lying in general.
Quote:
IFeelFree wrote:

No, there's is the possibility that you are something other than a weirdo.

Then, by implication, if I'm not a weirdo, then my decision to factor subjective feelings into my decision making is not weird.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 11:59 am
If moral principals are abstract, it can't possibly be innate.
0 Replies

IFeelFree

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 12:57 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:

Why not?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 09:35 am
IFeelFree wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:
IFeelFree wrote:

I said nothing about our ability to "tell if a person has a capacity to act morally". Please don't put words in my mouth.

Not putting words in your mouth, just saying what you are arguing in effect. You have no evidence for this "innate moral sense" except your own subjective "hunch" (which even you admit isn't evidence, except maybe for yourself) and the fact that people tend to act morally.

You say that "acting morally requires the ability to have certain emotional reactions." You may believe that because you just feel that it's true, but I have no reason to believe that unless you come up with some sort of empirical evidence or logical proof. And the only evidence you can come up with is the fact that people, in general, tend to act morally. But that can't be evidence for an "innate moral sense" or a capacity to act morally, since you presuppose the existence of that innate moral sense as the basis for acting morally. In effect, then, you are begging the question: an innate capacity to act morally is necessary for acting morally, and you know that because people tend to act morally.

That's pretty bad, but your position actually gets worse, since you admit that some people don't need the innate capacity in order to exhibit a particular behavior. You've said, for instance, that some people who ride bikes don't have the innate capacity to ride bikes, so presumably it's possible that some people who act morally don't have the innate capacity to act morally. Who these people are and how we can distinguish them from the people who have the innate capacity to act morally is a mystery that I think even you can't solve.

IFeelFree wrote:
"Lying is wrong" is indeed an abstract moral principle. Its not referring to a particular act of lying, it is a statement about lying in general.

No it isn't, because you admit that there are some exceptions to this rule. In any event, "lying" isn't an abstraction and "wrong" isn't an abstraction, so how is "lying is wrong" an abstraction?

IFeelFree wrote:
Then, by implication, if I'm not a weirdo, then my decision to factor subjective feelings into my decision making is not weird.

No, that doesn't follow. If you're not a weirdo, then the only thing we can conclude is that you are something other than a weirdo. Your argument, on the other hand, may still be totally wrong.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 10:18 am
IFeelFree wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:

Why not?

Because anything "abstract" is based on "knowledge."
0 Replies

IFeelFree

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 12:07 pm
Joe, I'm confident that I could give coherent answers to your questions. However, while it may be enjoyable to have an intellectual debate, I think we are starting to go around in circles. This is a Spirituality and Religion forum and I really came here to talk about that. The whole point of spirituality, in my view, is to transcend the conceptual mind, not to get caught up in it. Intellectual discussion has its place and can be useful, but when "empirical evidence or logical proof" of common human experiences is asked for, I think the debate is approaching the absurd. Thank you for the interesting discussion and I appreciate your sharp mind.
0 Replies

IFeelFree

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 12:09 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
IFeelFree wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:

Why not?

Because anything "abstract" is based on "knowledge."

"Love" is abstract. Love is not based on knowledge. It is innate.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 12:12 pm
IFeelFree wrote:
Joe, I'm confident that I could give coherent answers to your questions. However, while it may be enjoyable to have an intellectual debate, I think we are starting to go around in circles. This is a Spirituality and Religion forum and I really came here to talk about that. The whole point of spirituality, in my view, is to transcend the conceptual mind, not to get caught up in it. Intellectual discussion has its place and can be useful, but when "empirical evidence or logical proof" of common human experiences is asked for, I think the debate is approaching the absurd. Thank you for the interesting discussion and I appreciate your sharp mind.

This is a chickenshit answer, and typical of the touchy-feely crowd who want to sell a bill of goods, but don't care to have the inventory closely examined.

This is the S & R Forum, no doubt about it. And this is the opening post of this thread:

neologist wrote:
Innate or learned?

How do we come to have moral sense?

Can we change it?

Therefore, your claims above constitute a chickenshit cop-out.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 07:51 pm
IFeelFree wrote:

Buh-bye.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 08:17 pm
IFF; "Love" is abstract. Love is not based on knowledge. It is innate.

Wrong: It's based on the subjective knowledge of the responder. There is usually a physical attraction in many, or because of a long friendship. If the person is "blind," it is usually based on the result of verbal or other "communication" by Internet and/or telephone. They must have that "connection" for it to be "love." That's conscious knowledge
0 Replies

IFeelFree

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 11:30 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
IFF; "Love" is abstract. Love is not based on knowledge. It is innate.

Wrong: It's based on the subjective knowledge of the responder. There is usually a physical attraction in many, or because of a long friendship. If the person is "blind," it is usually based on the result of verbal or other "communication" by Internet and/or telephone. They must have that "connection" for it to be "love." That's conscious knowledge

Don't confuse love with physical attraction. It is possible to have a feeling of impersonal love, a generalized feeling of love toward all creatures.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 11:46 am
IFF: It is possible to have a feeling of impersonal love, a generalized feeling of love toward all creatures.

It's not "universal." For it to be innate, it must be universal or common to all humans.
0 Replies

IFeelFree

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 12:10 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
IFF: It is possible to have a feeling of impersonal love, a generalized feeling of love toward all creatures.

It's not "universal." For it to be innate, it must be universal or common to all humans.

It may be common to all humans as a potential but not realized, just as the capability to have children is common, but not everyone can or does have children.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 12:29 pm
IFF: It may be common to all humans as a potential but not realized, just as the capability to have children is common, but not everyone can or does have children.

When you apply "potential" to something that is impossible, it's a red herring. Example: Humans have the potential not to eat meat.
0 Replies