Conscience or superego?

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2007 04:00 pm
Put another way, in a perfect world, we wouldn't need children.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2007 07:52 pm
IFeelFree wrote:
I only conceded that in the case of a feral child who displayed no interest in human activity that it might be difficult or impossible to determine innateness of a moral sense.

But feral children may be the only ones we can test for this "innate" moral sense. If they provide no answers, then it is likely no answer is possible.

IFeelFree wrote:
In other words, you don't know.

No, I don't know. But then again, neither do you.

IFeelFree wrote:
I read your description of "naturalistic fallacy" and I have to admit I didn't understand it. Perhaps I'm stupid, but it seems obvious to me that if I claim that morality has a utilitarian purpose, it is not a logical fallacy. Morality regulates human behavior so that we don't kill each other off. It is always possible to ask what is the purpose of not allowing us to kill each other off, and so on, ad infinitum. Eventually, you end up asking what is the purpose of life, or some similar metaphysical question.

If morality has the purpose of giving us an evolutionary advantage, then it follows that "the good" is equivalent to "conducive to survival." But "good" cannot be equated with some aspect of "good," such as "conducive to survival," since the two are not the same. We can always ask: "is that which is conducive to survival good?" and come up with an answer other than "yes." So "conducive to survival" is not an adequate definition of "good." See this link for a fuller explanation.

IFeelFree wrote:
No. Lying may confer a temporary advantage to an individual in specific situations. However, in general, lying is not advantageous to society.

Then no one would adopt the general rule. If lying were advantageous in some situations but disadvantageous in general, people would still have an incentive to gain the advantages of lying in the hopes that everyone else wouldn't. That's a variation on the free rider problem, and is predictable on the basis of game theory.

IFeelFree wrote:
I am not defining innate, I am speculating as to why morality might be innate. "Innate" in this context means "inborn".

Of course it does. I just wonder what it means when you use the word.

IFeelFree wrote:
I am suggesting a reason why it might be innate and universal. I could be wrong. It might be a purely learned behavior, in which case one could argue that it is not innate.

If it is a learned behavior, then I can't imagine how someone could argue that it was innate.

IFeelFree wrote:
Quote:
IFeelFree wrote:
OK, then I'm a moral relativist because right and wrong in part depends upon the "ethical rules of the relevant societies."

In part? Which part?

Those behaviors regulated by the laws of that society.

Is that because it is right that all people obey the law?

IFeelFree wrote:
I read parts of it but it seems wrong to me. For example, under the section "1. To the extent that moral relativism is moral, it is not relative.", the following statement is made:
Quote:
...moral relativism rests on an objective set of beliefs: most importantly is the belief in some level of respect for others. Under moral relativism, X cannot impose his beliefs on Y because it would be immoral to do so, yet that presupposes that there is at least one moral precept (i.e. respect for others) that is not relative.

How does moral relativism require that "X cannot impose his beliefs on Y because it would be immoral to do so"? If Y believes its OK to kill others, than X may prevent him from doing so, irrespective of what Y believes. My "moral relativism" doesn't require me to respect the beliefs of others under all circumstances. If that is not moral relativism, then I'm not a moral relativist.

Correct. If you still want to impose your moral beliefs on someone else, then you can't be a moral relativist. And so we are gradually eliminating all the things that you aren't; on the other hand, we still haven't quite figured out what you are (besides confused).
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2007 08:05 pm
Interesting thread, echi. but in a perfect world, would you still fear about whether the kids would be 'alright'
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2007 08:16 pm
In the real world, we will always have what we determine as good and bad kids and adults. Where we draw the line between the two is up for grabs.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2007 08:29 pm
One more thought about "spirituality" and morals.

During most of my adult life, I never compared myself to others when it was about "my morals vs your's." My values were based on "trying to be the best I can be." I never felt religion helped nor hindered my morals. Rather, from early in my childhood, I found myself challenging church dogma and their many contradictions.

All my siblings are christians married to christians, and they have raised their children to be christians. I am an atheist married to a buddhist, and I never demanded my children go to (buddhist) church, but told them I wished they would go to learn about the "good" they teach, and that they can quit any time. Our two adult children are not members of any church.

Except for the fact that my nephews and nieces may believe they will go to heaven after they die, I don't think our children cares one way or the other.

They are all good kids, and for me, that's all that counts.

I was never the most saintlyhood, but I was also never the most devilish or bad guy.

As in all things in our life, I'm happy to be in the "middle." Maybe, the upper 40 percent. Wink
0 Replies

IFeelFree

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2007 08:36 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
IFeelFree wrote:
I only conceded that in the case of a feral child who displayed no interest in human activity that it might be difficult or impossible to determine innateness of a moral sense.

But feral children may be the only ones we can test for this "innate" moral sense. If they provide no answers, then it is likely no answer is possible.

Perhaps that is true. I don't know.
Quote:
IFeelFree wrote:
In other words, you don't know.

No, I don't know. But then again, neither do you.

Maybe so, but I do have an hypothesis.
Quote:
IFeelFree wrote:
I read your description of "naturalistic fallacy" and I have to admit I didn't understand it. Perhaps I'm stupid, but it seems obvious to me that if I claim that morality has a utilitarian purpose, it is not a logical fallacy. Morality regulates human behavior so that we don't kill each other off. It is always possible to ask what is the purpose of not allowing us to kill each other off, and so on, ad infinitum. Eventually, you end up asking what is the purpose of life, or some similar metaphysical question.

If morality has the purpose of giving us an evolutionary advantage, then it follows that "the good" is equivalent to "conducive to survival." But "good" cannot be equated with some aspect of "good," such as "conducive to survival," since the two are not the same. We can always ask: "is that which is conducive to survival good?" and come up with an answer other than "yes." So "conducive to survival" is not an adequate definition of "good." See this link for a fuller explanation.

I tried to read it but it gave me a headache. Don't over-think it. Morality confers an evolutionary advantage. I don't get why that statement is controversial.
Quote:
Then no one would adopt the general rule. If lying were advantageous in some situations but disadvantageous in general, people would still have an incentive to gain the advantages of lying in the hopes that everyone else wouldn't. That's a variation on the free rider problem, and is predictable on the basis of game theory.

They might have an incentive. That doesn't mean they'll take it. If a person places a high value on the greater good, then that can override their selfish impulse. That's why many people volunteer and give to charities.
Quote:
IFeelFree wrote:
I am not defining innate, I am speculating as to why morality might be innate. "Innate" in this context means "inborn".

Of course it does. I just wonder what it means when you use the word.

I was trying to say that since morality seems to be a universal concept in most (all?) societies, it appears to be an innate capacity of humans, like love, happiness, sorrow, etc. I concede that might not be true, but it I'm speculating that it may be. If I'm wrong, shoot me.
Quote:
IFeelFree wrote:
I am suggesting a reason why it might be innate and universal. I could be wrong. It might be a purely learned behavior, in which case one could argue that it is not innate.

If it is a learned behavior, then I can't imagine how someone could argue that it was innate.

You're right. If it's learned, it's not innate.
Quote:
IFeelFree wrote:
Quote:
IFeelFree wrote:
OK, then I'm a moral relativist because right and wrong in part depends upon the "ethical rules of the relevant societies."

In part? Which part?

Those behaviors regulated by the laws of that society.

Is that because it is right that all people obey the law?

Generally speaking, yes. There are exceptions.
Quote:
IFeelFree wrote:
I read parts of it but it seems wrong to me. For example, under the section "1. To the extent that moral relativism is moral, it is not relative.", the following statement is made:
Quote:
...moral relativism rests on an objective set of beliefs: most importantly is the belief in some level of respect for others. Under moral relativism, X cannot impose his beliefs on Y because it would be immoral to do so, yet that presupposes that there is at least one moral precept (i.e. respect for others) that is not relative.

How does moral relativism require that "X cannot impose his beliefs on Y because it would be immoral to do so"? If Y believes its OK to kill others, than X may prevent him from doing so, irrespective of what Y believes. My "moral relativism" doesn't require me to respect the beliefs of others under all circumstances. If that is not moral relativism, then I'm not a moral relativist.

Correct. If you still want to impose your moral beliefs on someone else, then you can't be a moral relativist. And so we are gradually eliminating all the things that you aren't; on the other hand, we still haven't quite figured out what you are (besides confused).

To be honest, I'm not too concerned what label you put on me. It just isn't important to me. Philosophy is not my area of interest. This is beginning to feel like a waste of time.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2007 10:35 pm
neologist wrote:
Interesting thread, echi. but in a perfect world, would you still fear about whether the kids would be 'alright'

In a perfect world-- no, I wouldn't. But my "perfect world" is a far cry from anything I have ever known to exist.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 08:04 am
IFeelFree wrote:
This is beginning to feel like a waste of time.

Then let me summarize: you think abstract moral principles are "innate," but you aren't quite sure what "innate" means. It could be that those moral principles are the product of common social and environmental factors, or it could be that they are inborn. You also think that morality has a purpose, even though it may be innate. You contend that morality confers an evolutionary advantage and that's why people chose to adopt morality, despite the fact that they may not have chosen it at all.
0 Replies

IFeelFree

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 09:02 am
joefromchicago wrote:
IFeelFree wrote:
This is beginning to feel like a waste of time.

Then let me summarize: you think abstract moral principles are "innate," but you aren't quite sure what "innate" means. It could be that those moral principles are the product of common social and environmental factors, or it could be that they are inborn. You also think that morality has a purpose, even though it may be innate. You contend that morality confers an evolutionary advantage and that's why people chose to adopt morality, despite the fact that they may not have chosen it at all.

Let me summarize from point of view: I think that the moral impulse, and possibly moral ideals, are innate, in the same sense that the capacity for love, jealousy, compassion, etc. are innate -- they are traits expressed my most humans but to different degrees. Morality, like any other human trait, is shaped by social and environmental factors. Morality has a purpose (to further our survival as a species), just as sex, love, etc. have a purpose, and that is why humans evolved with those capacities. Morality confers an evolutionary advantage, and people adopt moral behavior because we're wired to do so, in the same way that we're wired to have sex, bond emotionally with others, care for our young, etc.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 11:34 am
IFeelFree wrote:
Let me summarize from point of view: I think that the moral impulse, and possibly moral ideals, are innate, in the same sense that the capacity for love, jealousy, compassion, etc. are innate -- they are traits expressed my most humans but to different degrees. Morality, like any other human trait, is shaped by social and environmental factors. Morality has a purpose (to further our survival as a species), just as sex, love, etc. have a purpose, and that is why humans evolved with those capacities. Morality confers an evolutionary advantage, and people adopt moral behavior because we're wired to do so, in the same way that we're wired to have sex, bond emotionally with others, care for our young, etc.

The "innate capacity for morality" is about as meaningful as the "innate capacity for riding a bicycle." Sure, it seems pretty clear that people have the capacity for acting morally, since it's pretty clear that lots of people actually do act morally.

But so what? If the actual principles of morality are the products of socialization, rather than the expressions of an innate moral code, then any innate capacity for morality is largely irrelevant. In more concrete terms, if I believe that it is immoral to lie, it really doesn't matter that I also have the capacity to believe that it is immoral to lie. That's because my capacity for that belief doesn't guide my actions, only the moral code does. And if I tell a lie despite my belief that it is immoral to lie, my capacity to believe that it is immoral to lie is completely irrelevant to my moral blameworthiness for lying.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 11:44 am
There are always two (sometimes more) sides to any value humans put on behavior/belief - except hunger.
0 Replies

IFeelFree

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 01:16 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
The "innate capacity for morality" is about as meaningful as the "innate capacity for riding a bicycle."

I don't see why they're not meaningful. If I was born without arms or legs, I would not have the "innate capacity for riding a bicycle." Similarly, we can imagine a person, perhaps a psychopath, who lacks the "innate capacity for morality." He has no idea why people don't lie or cheat or kill when it is advantageous to them and they can get away with it. He knows the rules of behavior in his society but doesn't care. You can try to teach morality to him, but he would just be learning a bunch of rules with no inner sense of right or wrong. Most people feel bad when they act immorally. Is that a learned reaction, or is it "innate"? I suspect it is innate, but I don't know if I can prove it.
Quote:
Sure, it seems pretty clear that people have the capacity for acting morally, since it's pretty clear that lots of people actually do act morally.

But so what? If the actual principles of morality are the products of socialization, rather than the expressions of an innate moral code, then any innate capacity for morality is largely irrelevant.

I don't concede that the principles of morality are the product of socialization. They may be, I'm just not convinced of it.
Quote:
In more concrete terms, if I believe that it is immoral to lie, it really doesn't matter that I also have the capacity to believe that it is immoral to lie. That's because my capacity for that belief doesn't guide my actions, only the moral code does. And if I tell a lie despite my belief that it is immoral to lie, my capacity to believe that it is immoral to lie is completely irrelevant to my moral blameworthiness for lying.

The moral code may guide your actions, but if it is not in harmony with your inner sense of right and wrong, you will probably have some difficulty adhering to it. Many people exceed the speed limit because it is inconvenient and because they don't really feel that it is wrong. Conversely, many people will return a lost wallet or credit card to the owner if they find them, even though there is no law or obligation to do so. A psychopath will act immoral because he sees some advantage and apparently lacks any internal moral compass.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 01:39 pm
IFF, Right and wrong are taught values, usually culturally based.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 02:33 pm
IFeelFree wrote:
I don't see why they're not meaningful. If I was born without arms or legs, I would not have the "innate capacity for riding a bicycle."

Sure you would. You would have as much innate capacity for riding a bike as a psycopath has innate capacity to act morally. The fact that you and the psychopath either do not or cannot act in accordance with that innate capacity doesn't mean the capacity doesn't exist. Unless, of course, you're arguing that only some people have the innate capacity to act morally. Is that your position?

IFeelFree wrote:
Similarly, we can imagine a person, perhaps a psychopath, who lacks the "innate capacity for morality." He has no idea why people don't lie or cheat or kill when it is advantageous to them and they can get away with it. He knows the rules of behavior in his society but doesn't care. You can try to teach morality to him, but he would just be learning a bunch of rules with no inner sense of right or wrong. Most people feel bad when they act immorally. Is that a learned reaction, or is it "innate"? I suspect it is innate, but I don't know if I can prove it.

If you can't prove it, why are you so confident that it is true?

IFeelFree wrote:
I don't concede that the principles of morality are the product of socialization. They may be, I'm just not convinced of it.

Well, here's what you wrote:
    No, the rules are [i]not[/i] innate. The abstract moral ideals seem to be, however. That is my whole argument.

Now you're saying that morality may be innate? Make up your mind.

IFeelFree wrote:
The moral code may guide your actions, but if it is not in harmony with your inner sense of right and wrong, you will probably have some difficulty adhering to it.

How would you know that your moral code is in conflict with your innate sense of right and wrong?
0 Replies

IFeelFree

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 03:40 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
IFeelFree wrote:
I don't see why they're not meaningful. If I was born without arms or legs, I would not have the "innate capacity for riding a bicycle."

Sure you would. You would have as much innate capacity for riding a bike as a psycopath has innate capacity to act morally. The fact that you and the psychopath either do not or cannot act in accordance with that innate capacity doesn't mean the capacity doesn't exist. Unless, of course, you're arguing that only some people have the innate capacity to act morally. Is that your position?

You say that a person born without arms and legs still has an innate (i.e., inborn) capacity to ride a bike? That just doesn't make sense to me.
Quote:
IFeelFree wrote:
Similarly, we can imagine a person, perhaps a psychopath, who lacks the "innate capacity for morality." He has no idea why people don't lie or cheat or kill when it is advantageous to them and they can get away with it. He knows the rules of behavior in his society but doesn't care. You can try to teach morality to him, but he would just be learning a bunch of rules with no inner sense of right or wrong. Most people feel bad when they act immorally. Is that a learned reaction, or is it "innate"? I suspect it is innate, but I don't know if I can prove it.

If you can't prove it, why are you so confident that it is true?

I believe a lot of things that I can't prove objectively, such as the universality of love, that life has meaning and purpose, that there exists a higher power, etc. The evidence for these things rests largely on my subjective experience. I wouldn't expect my subjective experience to convince you, but it is convincing to me. When I look inside myself, I feel a moral sense that doesn't seem to be only the result of social conditioning. I could be wrong but that is what I feel. I would be very dubious if you told me that you only believe that for which you have objective evidence.
Quote:
IFeelFree wrote:

Well, here's what you wrote:
Quote:
No, the rules are not innate. The abstract moral ideals seem to be, however. That is my whole argument.

Now you're saying that morality may be innate? Make up your mind.

It should be clear. The moral codes are man-made. The moral sense and, quite possibly, the abstract moral principles or ideals appear to be innate.
Quote:
IFeelFree wrote:
The moral code may guide your actions, but if it is not in harmony with your inner sense of right and wrong, you will probably have some difficulty adhering to it.

How would you know that your moral code is in conflict with your innate sense of right and wrong?

I would feel it. If the law, or society's moral code, declares that I must do something, but I feel that it is immoral, I would have a moral dilemma. For example, if I were a reporter and I was compelled by a judge to divulge the name of a confidential source, I would be strongly tempted to defy that order. My defiance would arise from a feeling of empathy for the other person, and the knowledge of the difficulty I might cause them should I betray their confidence.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 05:32 pm
The only thing innate about the human biology is to eat and drink, then poop it out - like all animals. Everything else is taught/learned.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 05:33 pm
Maybe, sex falls in the innate category too!
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 06:47 pm
IFeelFree wrote:
You say that a person born without arms and legs still has an innate (i.e., inborn) capacity to ride a bike? That just doesn't make sense to me.

Let's say that a person born limbless is fitted with artificial limbs, and thereafter learns how to ride a bike. Would you say that he had an innate capacity to ride a bike? Or would you say that he was born without any capacity to ride a bike and just learned it?

IFeelFree wrote:
I believe a lot of things that I can't prove objectively, such as the universality of love, that life has meaning and purpose, that there exists a higher power, etc. The evidence for these things rests largely on my subjective experience. I wouldn't expect my subjective experience to convince you, but it is convincing to me. When I look inside myself, I feel a moral sense that doesn't seem to be only the result of social conditioning. I could be wrong but that is what I feel.

You're right: I don't find your subjective experience very convincing.

IFeelFree wrote:
I would be very dubious if you told me that you only believe that for which you have objective evidence.

Why is that so hard to believe?

IFeelFree wrote:
It should be clear. The moral codes are man-made. The moral sense and, quite possibly, the abstract moral principles or ideals appear to be innate.

What exactly is an "abstract moral principle?"

IFeelFree wrote:
I would feel it.

That pretty much sums it all up.
0 Replies

IFeelFree

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 07:58 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
Let's say that a person born limbless is fitted with artificial limbs, and thereafter learns how to ride a bike. Would you say that he had an innate capacity to ride a bike? Or would you say that he was born without any capacity to ride a bike and just learned it?

He learned it.
Quote:
IFeelFree wrote:
I would be very dubious if you told me that you only believe that for which you have objective evidence.

Why is that so hard to believe?

Because I have a suspicion that you are not a machine, but actually a human being! If that is true, you probably have made decisions and based action on all kinds of subjective feelings without the need for empirical proof that those feelings reflected an objective truth. When you fell in love (assuming you have) did you require objective proof?
Quote:
What exactly is an "abstract moral principle?"

Examples: Lying is wrong. Killing is wrong. Stealing is wrong. Compassion is good.
Quote:
IFeelFree wrote:
I would feel it.

That pretty much sums it all up.

Imagine that, I actually make judgments based, not entirely on logical calculations and objective facts, but also factor in my subjective feelings and intuition! What a weirdo I must be!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 08:02 pm
IFF: Examples: Lying is wrong. Killing is wrong. Stealing is wrong. Compassion is good.

Now, tell us when lying, killing or stealing is right?
0 Replies