Conscience or superego?

IFeelFree

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 11:08 am
joefromchicago wrote:
IFeelFree wrote:
You are not because it would be considered an immoral act in our culture (as well as being illegal, disgusting, etc.) I suspect that if you asked others their motive for their actions toward their elders, in most cases it would be "respect" or deference to authority, as they understand it.

That may be true. I suppose, though, that the only way to test your thesis is to find a person who is totally unsocialized and see if that person also displays these "innate" traits of morality. Sadly, we no longer can conduct experiments on orphans and foundlings with the same impunity that was characteristic of less litigious times. Fortunately for us, however, we do have some examples of feral children, none of whom, it should be noted, betrayed even the merest hint of a "moral sense" until or unless they had become socialized.

I was wondering about that too. What do feral children tell us about morality, socialization, etc.? According to Wikipedia:
Quote:
...feral children lack the basic social skills which are normally learned in the process of enculturation. For example, they may be unable to learn to use a toilet, have trouble learning to walk upright and display a complete lack of interest in the human activity around them. They often seem mentally impaired and have almost insurmountable trouble learning a human language.

So, it appears that "a moral sense" is the least of their problems. If they take no interest in human activity, I would think that judging their moral sense would be extremely difficult.
Quote:
IFeelFree wrote:
Yes, with respect to our elders, because we all have parents, grandparents, etc. that we owe our existence to, and it is natural to feel a certain gratitude and respect to those who raised us and often have more knowledge and experience than we do.

How do you know that's "innate?"

I've observed it different cultures so that I suspect that it is. Do I know that its always an immutable property of humans? No. Perhaps I am wrong.
Quote:
IFeelFree wrote:
We observe that every culture has its codes of behavior that reflect certain fundamental notions of morality -- you respect your elders, you tell the truth, etc. The moral codes vary among different cultures, but it is possible to see a common thread that we can call abstract moral principles.

Even conceding, for the sake of argument, that certain moral principles are shared by all cultures, I think you're still a long way from concluding that such principles are the products of an innate sense of morality.

What would account for the commonality in moral principles we see in most (all?) cultures?
Quote:
IFeelFree wrote:
The purpose of morality is to give people a way to act that will further their own and others survival, prosperity, health, and well-being.

I disagree.

OK. We disagree. However, I feel pretty confident about this one. What is the purpose of morality, if not to further the well-being of society?
Quote:
IFeelFree wrote:
As human beings we mostly have the same basic needs -- food, water, shelter, companionship, an occupation, etc. -- so that the same needs arise is every culture. Morality is not some random behavioral prescription. It is the distilled wisdom of that culture, reflecting our true needs.

If you genuinely believe that, then you not only deny the innateness of morality, you agree with moral relativism.

I don't see that conclusion. It seems to me that since all humans have the same needs, similar moral ideals would tend to arise in all cultures.
Quote:
IFeelFree wrote:
Both (assuming that both are acting in accord with their culture's accepted moral behavior).

Yep, you're a moral relativist.

If that's your definition of a moral relativist then, yes, I am a moral relativist. I believe that right and wrong are situational. For example, sometimes it's wrong to kill, sometimes it's right (defense of self + others, war, police). Codes of behavior are imperfect because they cannot completely capture all of the possible circumstances that determine whether an action is right or wrong.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 11:19 am
There is always a problem with the concept of "moral relativism." Some philosophers hold that moral relativism is the concept that what any particular culture holds to be "moral" is moral for that culture, even if another culture would disagree. Others hold that moral relativism lies in what is also referred to as "situational ethics," for which IFF's last statement:

If that's your definition of a moral relativist then, yes, I am a moral relativist. I believe that right and wrong are situational. For example, sometimes it's wrong to kill, sometimes it's right (defense of self + others, war, police). Codes of behavior are imperfect because they cannot completely capture all of the possible circumstances that determine whether an action is right or wrong.

qualifies.

For my own part, i consider all morality to be the product of subjective judgement, but i don't necessarily consider myself to be a moral relativist. I have my own notions of right and wrong, but i simply acknowledge that these are subjective judgments on my part. I don't change my opinion of what is right and what is wrong given the nature of a situation, or the culture of someone with whom i disagree. The "thou shalt no kill" example is largely meaningless to me. I don't think that killing is always wrong, but i make a distinction between "mere" killing and murder. All murder is killing, but not all killing is murder. My opinion to the effect that murder does not change, for example, when reviewing the beliefs of the Thugees, who saw some murder as a acceptable tantric rite of worship of the goddess Kali. I would still consider it wrong, despite the argument that it were culturally acceptable to Dacoits and Thugees.
0 Replies

IFeelFree

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 11:21 am
Setanta wrote:
IFeelFree wrote:
Of course. To say that parents love their children doesn't mean that some don't. That's obvious.

Which makes it obvious, therefore, that parental love cannot be advanced as evidence of "selflessness" being innate--otherwise, one would have to show that all parents love their children, and one would still have the problem of demonstrating that said parental love were the product of selflessness. So, for example, would all parents necessarily sacrifice their own lives to spare the lives of their children? If you make sweeping statements, you have the burden of proving them, and you have failed to do that. Then when this is pointed out to you, your answer is that the response is obvious, while ignoring that it shoots down your argument that parental love is evidence that "selflessness" is an innate "moral" trait.

If I say, humans have 2 arms and 2 legs, that is generally understood to be a true statement. Of course, there are exceptions (deformities, amputations). Similarly, when I say that parents love their children, it is implicitly understood that most parents love their children. There are exceptions, but they appear to be infrequent. We're not talking about mathematical theorems here. This is a sociological statement. If greater than, say, 90% of humans exhibit a particular trait, that is considered a very high correlation in sociology. I pretty sure most people understood what I meant. However, I suspect that you like to be argumentative.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 11:21 am
Setanta wrote:
. . . All murder is killing, but not all killing is murder. . .
Exclamation
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 11:22 am
Self defense.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 11:36 am
IFeelFree wrote:
If I say, humans have 2 arms and 2 legs, that is generally understood to be a true statement. Of course, there are exceptions (deformities, amputations). Similarly, when I say that parents love their children, it is implicitly understood that most parents love their children. There are exceptions, but they appear to be infrequent. We're not talking about mathematical theorems here. This is a sociological statement. If greater than, say, 90% of humans exhibit a particular trait, that is considered a very high correlation in sociology. I pretty sure most people understood what I meant. However, I suspect that you like to be argumentative.

Your suspicion constitutes breathtaking and unexpected evidence that you understand the purpose of debate. The question is whether or not "selflessness" is an innate "moral" trait. You advance parental love as evidence that "selflessness" is an innate "moral" trait. Were that true, than all parents must love their children, or that love is not innate. If you attempt to refine it by stipulating that all parents may not love their children, but that among those who do, it is because selflessness is an innate "moral" trait, you have only increased your burden of proof. You would then be obliged to demonstrate that all parental love proceeds from an innate selflessness, and you would be obliged to explain why, if selflessness is innate and is the cause of parental love, not all parents love their children. Finally, even leaving aside an explanation of how selflessness could be innate, and parental love derives from selflessness while not all parents love their children--you'd place yourself in the position of explaining how parents who don't love their children display their innate selflessness, while failing to love their children.

This is not simply argumentativeness. If you assert that something is innate, you must be prepared to account for examples which refute or seem to refute your thesis. You chose to assert that parental love is evidence of selflessness as an innate human trait. It is not simply argumentativeness to take note of the fact that you have failed to sustain your thesis, not even by the persuasiveness of your argument. I remain unpersuaded.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 11:40 am
[url=http://www.answers.com/topic/innate?cat=health][b]Answers-dot-com[/b][/url] wrote:
in·nate adj.

1. Possessed at birth; inborn.
2. Possessed as an essential characteristic; inherent.
3. Of or produced by the mind rather than learned through experience: an innate knowledge of right and wrong.

By asserting that any human trait is innate, you assume the burden of proof. However, in contravention of your thesis, at least with regard to selflessness, i offer this definition of innate. If selflessness were innate, and all parents can be said to love their children as a result of their innate selflessness, then all parents could reasonably be assumed to love their children--not 90% of parents, not "most" parents, but all parents. It is upon this basis that i remain unpersuaded of your thesis.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 11:46 am
Hunger is "innate."
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 11:54 am
IFeelFree wrote:
So, it appears that "a moral sense" is the least of their problems. If they take no interest in human activity, I would think that judging their moral sense would be extremely difficult.

Well, if judging a person's moral sense requires that person to be socialized, then I think it would be impossible to determine if that moral sense is an innate characteristic or the product of socialization. Or, to put it another way, if you can't control for socialization, you can't test for innateness.

IFeelFree wrote:
What would account for the commonality in moral principles we see in most (all?) cultures?

Most (all?) cultures have rules about which side vehicles are supposed to pass each other on the road. Some cultures have vehicles pass on the right, others have them pass on the left, but all cultures have these kinds of rules. Does that mean that, in some sense, these rules are "innate?" I hardly think so.

If there are common conditions that affect human behavior, we should expect similar rules will arise to deal with those conditions. People in every society have to deal with other people, so we see rules regarding truth-telling across a wide variety of cultures. Does that mean that people recognize the inherent morality of truth-telling, or does that mean that they recognize its utility?

IFeelFree wrote:
OK. We disagree. However, I feel pretty confident about this one. What is the purpose of morality, if not to further the well-being of society?

Morality has no purpose at all. It is justified, if at all, on its own terms. To suggest otherwise is to say that morality is contingent on something else. That would constitute a naturalistic fallacy.

IFeelFree wrote:
I don't see that conclusion. It seems to me that since all humans have the same needs, similar moral ideals would tend to arise in all cultures.

That's far different from saying that those ideals are innate.

IFeelFree wrote:

No, I'm not saying that you're a moral relativist because you believe morality is situational. I'm saying that you're a moral relativist because you believe that contrary actions can both be moral, depending upon the ethical rules of the relevant societies.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 11:54 am
In a perfect world, would all parents love and nurture their children?
0 Replies

IFeelFree

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 12:30 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
IFeelFree wrote:

Well, if judging a person's moral sense requires that person to be socialized, then I think it would be impossible to determine if that moral sense is an innate characteristic or the product of socialization. Or, to put it another way, if you can't control for socialization, you can't test for innateness.

Whether you can test for innateness is different than the question of whether it is innate. For example, if children are raised by wolves, do they have a moral sense in the way they treat wolves? If we can't test for the innateness of a moral sense, then I suppose that we can't answer the question.
Quote:
IFeelFree wrote:

Most (all?) cultures have rules about which side vehicles are supposed to pass each other on the road. Some cultures have vehicles pass on the right, others have them pass on the left, but all cultures have these kinds of rules. Does that mean that, in some sense, these rules are "innate?" I hardly think so.

No, the rules are not innate. The abstract moral ideals seem to be, however. That is my whole argument.
Quote:
If there are common conditions that affect human behavior, we should expect similar rules will arise to deal with those conditions. People in every society have to deal with other people, so we see rules regarding truth-telling across a wide variety of cultures. Does that mean that people recognize the inherent morality of truth-telling, or does that mean that they recognize its utility?

There is no distinction, in my opinion. Moral ideals are based on utility. If not, what are they based on?
Quote:
IFeelFree wrote:

Morality has no purpose at all. It is justified, if at all, on its own terms. To suggest otherwise is to say that morality is contingent on something else. That would constitute a naturalistic fallacy.

I don't see why its a fallacy. I say that morality has a purpose. You say it doesn't. Its not apparent to me why one position is obviously correct. I might ask, for example, why would morality arise in human populations if it didn't confer an evolutionary advantage? Wouldn't it be weeded out since it places such demands on human behavior? No, it seems obvious to me that societies that have some kind of morality have an advantage over those that are lawless and chaotic. Therefore, morality has the "purpose" of maintaining a society's evolutionary advantage.
Quote:
IFeelFree wrote:

That's far different from saying that those ideals are innate.

I'm saying they are innate because of the commonality of the human condition. Perhaps this is just semantics. By innate, I don't mean that it was ordained by God, or an inescapable condition of individuality, but that it is imposed by the demands of living as a human being with others on this planet. We have to have some kind of morality to survive as a species. Otherwise we might kill each other off. Since the demands of life are similar for all humans, moral principles are, to some extent, universal.
Quote:
IFeelFree wrote:

No, I'm not saying that you're a moral relativist because you believe morality is situational. I'm saying that you're a moral relativist because you believe that contrary actions can both be moral, depending upon the ethical rules of the relevant societies.

OK, then I'm a moral relativist because right and wrong in part depends upon the "ethical rules of the relevant societies." For example, I wouldn't drink alcohol in public in a Muslim country because the law forbids it. There is a value to acting according to local laws. Laws are designed to maintain order in society whether or not I agree with all of them. My argument was that moral relativism has a compelling logic to it -- right and wrong are situational.
0 Replies

anton bonnier

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 09:48 pm
Taught and then learned.... the moral taught is dependant on who taught it
0 Replies

IFeelFree

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 09:55 pm
anton bonnier wrote:

He who teaches usually teaches what was taught to him. That's how societal customs and acculturation develop. Those lessons that are useful get passed along from generation to generation. Those lessons that serve no purpose tend to be forgotten.
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2007 05:59 am
IFeelFree wrote:
anton bonnier wrote:

He who teaches usually teaches what was taught to him. That's how societal customs and acculturation develop. Those lessons that are useful get passed along from generation to generation. Those lessons that serve no purpose tend to be forgotten.

Conscious people had to decide what moral doctrine to leave behind. And a conscious decision would exclude inherent moral.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2007 08:14 am
Lest we forget:
neologist wrote:
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2007 08:28 am
First, with regard to your comment about what is meant by "innate"--you don't get to define words in a personal and idiosyncratic manner to suit your argument. If there is not consensus on the meanings of words, language fails of its goal of communication. The proposition which Neo advances, and upon which this discussion is founded is that there is "innate morality" in humans. That means that it is in-born, that it is present at birth, a not-necessarily-conscious component of all humans. Therefore, to advance examples of what 90% of people do fails to provide evidence of what is innate--if not all people do it, it's not innate. To advance examples of cultural imperatives fails to provide evidence of what is innate--if one learns it from one's culture, it was not innate, it was acquired.

IFeelFree wrote:
For example, I wouldn't drink alcohol in public in a Muslim country because the law forbids it. There is a value to acting according to local laws. Laws are designed to maintain order in society whether or not I agree with all of them. My argument was that moral relativism has a compelling logic to it -- right and wrong are situational.

This is not an example either of situational ethics, nor of moral relativism. If you asserted that to drink alcohol is good in societies which approve of it, but is evil in societies which do not approve of it, you would have characterized drinking alcohol in moral relativistic terms. The fact that you acknowledge that you may not agree with the prohibition on alcohol introduces doubt as to whether or not you consider it good in one instance, and evil in the other. It may be moral relativism, but one can't tell from reading what you wrote. As for situational ethics, you have the same problem. If you are just observing the prohibition for the pragmatic, the good and sufficient reason that you don't wish to suffer adverse consequences, you haven't made a statement about the moral value of the behavior. You haven't asserted that it may be good to drink alcohol in some situations, but that it is evil to drink alcohol when one is situated in a Muslim nation which prohibits it. It may be situational ethics, but one can't tell by reading what you have written.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2007 10:17 am
IFeelFree wrote:
Whether you can test for innateness is different than the question of whether it is innate. For example, if children are raised by wolves, do they have a moral sense in the way they treat wolves? If we can't test for the innateness of a moral sense, then I suppose that we can't answer the question.

That's true.

IFeelFree wrote:
No, the rules are not innate. The abstract moral ideals seem to be, however. That is my whole argument.

Well, as you point out, there's no way that you can determine if those abstract moral ideals are innate. Which leaves one to wonder just why you're so convinced that they are innate.

IFeelFree wrote:
There is no distinction, in my opinion. Moral ideals are based on utility. If not, what are they based on?

Philosophers have been debating that question for centuries.

IFeelFree wrote:
I don't see why its a fallacy. I say that morality has a purpose. You say it doesn't. Its not apparent to me why one position is obviously correct.

If morality had a purpose, then there would have to be something that was "supra-moral." The question, then, would be: is that thing "moral?" And that is the kind of open-question fallacy that G.E. Moore described as a naturalistic fallacy.

IFeelFree wrote:
I might ask, for example, why would morality arise in human populations if it didn't confer an evolutionary advantage? Wouldn't it be weeded out since it places such demands on human behavior? No, it seems obvious to me that societies that have some kind of morality have an advantage over those that are lawless and chaotic. Therefore, morality has the "purpose" of maintaining a society's evolutionary advantage.

Actually, many ethical rules would seem to be evolutionarily disadvantageous, or at least evolutionarily neutral. A blanket prohibition against lying, for instance, doesn't seem to confer any particular evolutionary advantages on humans, and, in some cases, may be distinctly disadvantageous.

IFeelFree wrote:
I'm saying they are innate because of the commonality of the human condition. Perhaps this is just semantics. By innate, I don't mean that it was ordained by God, or an inescapable condition of individuality, but that it is imposed by the demands of living as a human being with others on this planet. We have to have some kind of morality to survive as a species. Otherwise we might kill each other off. Since the demands of life are similar for all humans, moral principles are, to some extent, universal.

That's not what "innate" means.

IFeelFree wrote:
OK, then I'm a moral relativist because right and wrong in part depends upon the "ethical rules of the relevant societies."

In part? Which part?

IFeelFree wrote:
My argument was that moral relativism has a compelling logic to it -- right and wrong are situational.

On the contrary, moral relativism has no logic, compelling or otherwise.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2007 10:37 am
That's why it's called "relativism."
0 Replies

IFeelFree

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2007 11:43 am
joefromchicago wrote:
IFeelFree wrote:

Well, as you point out, there's no way that you can determine if those abstract moral ideals are innate. Which leaves one to wonder just why you're so convinced that they are innate.

I only conceded that in the case of a feral child who displayed no interest in human activity that it might be difficult or impossible to determine innateness of a moral sense.
Quote:
IFeelFree wrote:

Philosophers have been debating that question for centuries.

In other words, you don't know.
Quote:
IFeelFree wrote:
I don't see why its a fallacy. I say that morality has a purpose. You say it doesn't. Its not apparent to me why one position is obviously correct.

If morality had a purpose, then there would have to be something that was "supra-moral." The question, then, would be: is that thing "moral?" And that is the kind of open-question fallacy that G.E. Moore described as a naturalistic fallacy.

I read your description of "naturalistic fallacy" and I have to admit I didn't understand it. Perhaps I'm stupid, but it seems obvious to me that if I claim that morality has a utilitarian purpose, it is not a logical fallacy. Morality regulates human behavior so that we don't kill each other off. It is always possible to ask what is the purpose of not allowing us to kill each other off, and so on, ad infinitum. Eventually, you end up asking what is the purpose of life, or some similar metaphysical question.
Quote:
IFeelFree wrote:
I might ask, for example, why would morality arise in human populations if it didn't confer an evolutionary advantage? Wouldn't it be weeded out since it places such demands on human behavior? No, it seems obvious to me that societies that have some kind of morality have an advantage over those that are lawless and chaotic. Therefore, morality has the "purpose" of maintaining a society's evolutionary advantage.

Actually, many ethical rules would seem to be evolutionarily disadvantageous, or at least evolutionarily neutral. A blanket prohibition against lying, for instance, doesn't seem to confer any particular evolutionary advantages on humans, and, in some cases, may be distinctly disadvantageous.

No. Lying may confer a temporary advantage to an individual in specific situations. However, in general, lying is not advantageous to society. Accurate information is needed to conduct the business of providing for our needs efficiently. Also, lying tends to breed mistrust which disrupts the cohesiveness of society. Humans are better able to survive when they are able to bond with others and work together. Lying inhibits that.
Quote:
IFeelFree wrote:

That's not what "innate" means.

I am not defining innate, I am speculating as to why morality might be innate. "Innate" in this context means "inborn". I am suggesting a reason why it might be innate and universal. I could be wrong. It might be a purely learned behavior, in which case one could argue that it is not innate.
Quote:
IFeelFree wrote:
OK, then I'm a moral relativist because right and wrong in part depends upon the "ethical rules of the relevant societies."

In part? Which part?

Those behaviors regulated by the laws of that society.
Quote:
IFeelFree wrote:
My argument was that moral relativism has a compelling logic to it -- right and wrong are situational.

On the contrary, moral relativism has no logic, compelling or otherwise.

I read parts of it but it seems wrong to me. For example, under the section "1. To the extent that moral relativism is moral, it is not relative.", the following statement is made:
Quote:
...moral relativism rests on an objective set of beliefs: most importantly is the belief in some level of respect for others. Under moral relativism, X cannot impose his beliefs on Y because it would be immoral to do so, yet that presupposes that there is at least one moral precept (i.e. respect for others) that is not relative.

How does moral relativism require that "X cannot impose his beliefs on Y because it would be immoral to do so"? If Y believes its OK to kill others, than X may prevent him from doing so, irrespective of what Y believes. My "moral relativism" doesn't require me to respect the beliefs of others under all circumstances. If that is not moral relativism, then I'm not a moral relativist.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2007 01:58 pm
neologist wrote:
In a perfect world people wouldn't have any children! Razz
0 Replies