Jehovah's Witness refuses blood, dies

Elihu

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 07:16 pm
Jehovah's Witness shuns blood, dies

Thursday, June 21, 2007

OSAKA (Kyodo) A member of the Jehovah's Witnesses died last month after giving birth by Caesarean section and refusing a blood transfusion, officials at Osaka Medical College reported.

The hospital said it had agreed with the woman before the surgery that it would not administer a transfusion.

Although she bled a great deal after delivering the child, doctors only took steps to arrest the hemorrhaging. She died several days later, the hospital said:

"We briefed her about the danger (before the surgery) and we repeatedly urged her family to accept a blood transfusion. But in the end we respected the patient's wishes," a hospital official said Tuesday.
Jehovah's Witnesses' officials said the hospital acted appropriately in treating the woman in accordance with her wishes.

Members of the denomination refuse blood transfusions as being against the Bible, citing the section in Leviticus that reads: "Whatsoever man . . . eats any manner of blood, I will cut him off from among his people."

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/nn20070621b1.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,859 • Replies: 132
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 07:26 pm
Leviticus is full of crazy ass stuff.

But she died in a way that will send her to Heaven so I suppose everything is A-OK.

What a wonderful way for her child to start life's journey.

Poor dear.
0 Replies

Elihu

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 07:38 pm
It is well known that JW's refuse blood transfusions. They use to believe that injecting blood into their veins was the same as eating it, a violation of Genesis 9:4. They use to believe that injecting blood into their veins violated the command at Acts 15:29 to abstain from blood. But it's unclear if any of this still holds.

What is behind the confusion is that the governing body of Jehovah's Witnesses has approved of medical procedures where blood is removed, stored, taken to a lab, treated in some manner, and then transfused back into the patient later that day or the next. But JW's are still forbidden to predonate their blood for an upcoming surgery. The new rule is that removed blood can be transfused back into the body if it's part of a "current therapy".

With the approval of these new procedures it's hard so see how JW's could continue to maintain that injecting blood into the veins is the same as eating it or that injecting blood into the veins is NOT abstaining from blood. Many are baffled as to why JW's still think it is wrong for them to pre-donate their own blood for a future operation or why JW's still think it is wrong to take a transfusion of donor blood.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 07:40 pm
What an idiot.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 07:41 pm
Frankly Charlotte, as long as no child suffers from this religious malady, I don't give a damn.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 07:46 pm
I don't understand it at all.

I'm a devoted blood donor. So much so that I won't even go have my ears repierced because that would prevent me from donating blood for a year.

I believe that donating blood is the easiest thing and one of the best things we can give of ourselves.

I'm not Ms. Teachable Moment by any means but I take my son with me when I donate blood because it provides the perfect time for me to discuss why it is important to take care of your body and to be careful with your actions.

When I think that people would refuse my blood because of some Biblical, bizarrely interpreted nonsense..... I don't know..... it makes me want to schedule an African safari and get a tattoo.

And maybe even start wearing earrings again.
0 Replies

Elihu

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 07:53 pm
boomerang wrote:

Since JW's claim to be Christians and as such are not under the law of Moses, I don't know why they think they are obligated to follow the laws on blood found in Leviticus.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 07:55 pm
I think Leviticus should be removed from the Bible.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 07:58 pm
Elihu wrote:
boomerang wrote:

Since JW's claim to be Christians and as such are not under the law of Moses, I don't know why they think they are obligated to follow the laws on blood found in Leviticus.
"Hence my decision is not to trouble those from the nations who are turning to God, 20 but to write them to abstain from things polluted by idols and from fornication and from what is strangled and from blood. " (Acts 15:19,20)
0 Replies

Elihu

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 08:06 pm
boomerang wrote:
I don't understand it at all.

When I think that people would refuse my blood because of some Biblical, bizarrely interpreted nonsense..... I don't know..... it makes me want to schedule an African safari and get a tattoo. And maybe even start wearing earrings again.

Well, JW's are allowed to take many parts from donated blood such as hemoglobin, immunoglobulins, albumin, blood clotting factors, and more. So they don't really abstain from blood. They derive many benefits from donated blood. Unfortunately they are forbidden from donating blood.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 08:26 pm
Re: Jehovah's Witness refuses blood, dies
Elihu wrote:
Jehovah's Witness shuns blood, dies

Thursday, June 21, 2007

"We briefed her about the danger (before the surgery) and we repeatedly urged her family to accept a blood transfusion. But in the end we respected the patient's wishes,"

I wonder if they would have respected her wishes if she believed that the magical space aliens told her not to accept a transfusion.

At what point are people's beliefs considered simply delusion?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 08:55 pm
Donating blood is healthy for the body, I believe.

It forces your body to create newer blood. Revs up your system.

May be a silly question, but can a JW donate blood if he she wants?

The doesn't say they have to accept a transfusion.

I think I'll donate tomorrow. Better start drinking extra fluids, I'm not an easy stick.
0 Replies

IFeelFree

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 09:29 pm
Another unfortunate result when adherence to religious doctrine supersedes common sense.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 10:03 pm
This issue has had a good discussion here. It eventually turned into a scratching match between me and two folks who apparently joined a2k for the singular purpose of debating the topic. They haven't been heard form since. You may decide for yourselves whether the issue has been settled.

I am perfectly willing to answer questions and provide a defense (in my own clumsy fashion) for the Watchtower stand.
0 Replies

Elihu

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 10:44 pm
Chai wrote:
May be a silly question, but can a JW donate blood if he she wants?

No, JW's are forbidden from donating blood but they are allowed to accept all parts of all parts from donated blood. They are willing to use from the donated and stored blood supply but are unwilling to replenish the donated and stored blood supply.
0 Replies

Elihu

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 11:11 pm
neologist wrote:
I am perfectly willing to answer questions and provide a defense (in my own clumsy fashion) for the Watchtower stand.

Here's a question for you. Why are JW's allowed to have medical procedures performed on them where blood is removed, stored, taken to a lab, treated in some manner, and then later transfused back into them? How can a JW have blood injected into their veins and claim they have abstained from blood?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2007 12:23 am
Quote:
...claim to be Christians and as such are not under the law of Moses

The "law of Moses"? Are you saying that Christians don't follow the Ten Commandments? Shocked
0 Replies

Scott777ab

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2007 12:30 am
neologist wrote:
Elihu wrote:
boomerang wrote:

"Hence my decision is not to trouble those from the nations who are turning to God, 20 but to write them to abstain from things polluted by idols and from fornication and from what is strangled and from blood. " (Acts 15:19,20)

Gen 9:4 But flesh with the life thereof, [which is] the blood thereof, shall ye not eat.
Jhn 15:13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Here is some twisting of the scripture that can be done with this Neo.
There is no Greater love than he/she who gives up there BLOOD for another.
0 Replies

Scott777ab

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2007 12:34 am
neologist wrote:

For the Watchtower stand! Neo.
Tsk! Tsk!
Your standing up and defending the wrong thing.
The thing you should be defending with your life.
Is the Word of God.
Not the Watchtower.
Tsk.
Tsk.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2007 12:35 am
Miller wrote:
Quote:
...claim to be Christians and as such are not under the law of Moses

The "law of Moses"? Are you saying that Christians don't follow the Ten Commandments? Shocked

There are loopholes to them all. Kinda like the way Bush interprets the Constitution.
0 Replies