My! What big eyes you have! (or: Are you blind!?)

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 08:48 am
JPB wrote:
We just picked up [IThe Dangerous Book for Boys[/I] by Conn Iggulden as a birthday gift for one of my daughter's friends. It's full of all sorts of games, adventures, and amusement of yesteryear. I have a feeling it's a pretty good book for girls too.

The above mentioned godson got it a couple of days ao for the good results in this year#s school report :wink:
(Well, he can read it but his English isn't so good to understand it completely - so he got a (similar) book in German as well from his other godmother).
0 Replies

plantress

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 08:49 am
I remember a book called "how to make a flibberdigibit" with all sorts of cool projects in it. Gosh, also there is cap guns and those snakes that you used to light and they turned into these long ash things. Did you have those?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 01:25 pm
Re: My! What big eyes you have! (or: Are you blind!?)
boomerang wrote:
How much "street freedom" do you allow your kids?

None anymore. We live on a busy street with no kids now. But in our old neighborhood, which sounds a bit more like yours, he was allowed to the corner. He had a friend on the next street. Friend's mom and me would synchronize on the phone and they'd meet at the corner, then go to one house or the other. He was 5 and his friend was 7. Duckie, though, has always been an exceptionally careful child -- looking both ways to cross the street at 3, riding his bike safely with awareness of cars at 5. Ducklet, on the other hand, I don't know. She doesn't have the same opportunity and she's also considerably less careful and more prone to take risks.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 04:40 pm
I think you both know your kids. We have to raise our kids according to our own standards. She may be responsible and conscientious, BUT it's the other people out there her parents are concerned about more than likely. There is such a happy medium between being overprotective and giving too much freedom. I know my neighbors as well...but my concern is what if I have some crazy driving through the neighborhood and sees my kids walking to the neighbors with no adult or at the very least large enough child to make them think twice....my greatest fear is losing them because I was not careful enough. There is no way I could forgive myself.
You just have to trust your own judgement and don't let anyone make you feel bad about your choices when it comes to bringing up your own children - you know them best and should raise them as you see fit.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2007 10:06 am
plantress wrote:
I remember a book called "how to make a flibberdigibit" with all sorts of cool projects in it. Gosh, also there is cap guns and those snakes that you used to light and they turned into these long ash things. Did you have those?

Yes. My brother and I once sat in the hayloft and tossed them among the pigs. Terrified the pig. Also terrified my grandfather when he discovered us.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2007 10:53 am
plantress! sozlet just got that book. It was her dad's when he was a kid, and grandparents sent it on. It's an absolutely fabulous book. She's made a zillion things from it already and we currently have a yam creating a jungle (it's doing great). I'd wanted to recommend it as a sort of "Dangerous Book for Kids (Not Just Boys)." Really cool.
0 Replies