Exisiting stem-cell lines don't come from human embryos?

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 01:46 pm
Today, Bush vetoed another stem-cell research bill. I read the following blurb in an article I saw about it on the web.

"The White House insists that it is supporting stem-cell research - so long as the material doesn't come anew from human embryos. It has supported research using existing embryonic stem-cell lines."

Here's the question: What is an existing embryonic stem-cell line? Didn't they come from human embryos?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 784 • Replies: 3
No top replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 05:29 pm
bumpity-bump. Anyone have any helpful information about this? Anyone? Bueller? Anyone?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 05:35 pm
I thought bush was finished sucking the religious right's dick when Falwell died.... but apparently there's no shortage of dicks in the religous right....
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 07:03 pm
Re: Exisiting stem-cell lines don't come from human embryos?
kickycan wrote:
Today, Bush vetoed another stem-cell research bill. I read the following blurb in an article I saw about it on the web.

"The White House insists that it is supporting stem-cell research - so long as the material doesn't come anew from human embryos. It has supported research using existing embryonic stem-cell lines."

Here's the question: What is an existing embryonic stem-cell line? Didn't they come from human embryos?

Yes they did come from human embryos. They were used before the federal ban however. They have been replicated or cloned or whatever over and over again for testing.

Basically, you take the stem cells out one time and you can replicate them over and over for testing. I do believe they degrade at some point though, but I may be wrong.
0 Replies