Christianity is a poor source of moral guidance

Setanta

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 07:20 am
neologist wrote:
My proposition is that the story only makes sense if Adam and Eve were created with a perfect moral sense and the eating of the fruit represented their desire to overrule that moral sense, thereby deciding for themselves what was good and what was bad.

However, your proposition explains what it is you would like to believe, predicated upon an a priori assumption that the scripture to which you cling like an old-fashioned cork life-saving ring in tempestuous seas is divinely inspired and inerrant. Your proposition has no actual support in the text of Genesis.

Quote:
So far, most of the contributors to this thread have contended that Adam and Eve were morally naive and easily duped in some sort of sucker arrangement. I agree that, if the bible is not the inerrant word of God, that could certainly be the case. However, that is not what the story relates.

Now you're lying outright. In the first place, because those who are arguing against you are using the actual text of the scripture to point out, not that these jokers were "morally naive," but that they were completely amoral. In the second place, because your position contradicts what the text says--whether or not your scripture is divinely inspired and "the inerrant word of God"; finally, you peddle a lie when you state that that is not what the story relates. That is precisely what the story relates, which is why everyone here is having such an easy time of it--they only need to quote to you the verses of Genesis, and then sit back and watch you dance.

Quote:
One of the main reasons I continue in my contention is that, without Satan's interference, Adam and Eve would have eventually come upon some situation requiring a moral decision. Taken to that point, the contention that the first humans had no sense of moral direction becomes patently ridiculous.

No, it is your illogical position which is patently ridiculous. If these jokers have no innate moral sense (and the text of Genesis not only does not say that they do have such an innate sense, but clearly demonstrates in the passage which describes the reaction of the god crew ["we" is not singular] that they previously had no understanding of "good and evil.")--then there can be nothing more absurd than that they would eventually face a moral choice. Nothing which they did would seem to them to be immoral because they were amoral. Your persistence in your contentions without a textual basis slips rapidly from admirable perseverance into pathetic, willful blindness.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 08:29 am
First of all, I second everything that Setanta said in his post. Just a few additional comments:

neologist wrote:
My proposition is that the story only makes sense if Adam and Eve were created with a perfect moral sense and the eating of the fruit represented their desire to overrule that moral sense, thereby deciding for themselves what was good and what was bad.

No, the story makes more sense the way it is written: that A&E had no moral sense whatsoever before they ate the fruit. They didn't desire to overrule their moral sense because they had no moral sense to begin with.

neologist wrote:
So far, most of the contributors to this thread have contended that Adam and Eve were morally naive and easily duped in some sort of sucker arrangement. I agree that, if the bible is not the inerrant word of God, that could certainly be the case. However, that is not what the story relates.

Well, as I've pointed out before, god certainly made a bad decision when he put the tree of the knowledge of good and evil right in the middle of Eden, but I don't think he was suckering A&E into committing a mortal sin by doing so.

neologist wrote:
One of the main reasons I continue in my contention is that, without Satan's interference, Adam and Eve would have eventually come upon some situation requiring a moral decision. Taken to that point, the contention that the first humans had no sense of moral direction becomes patently ridiculous.

A&E would never have encountered a situation that required a moral decision so long as they had no knowledge of good and evil.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 10:46 am
joefromchicago wrote:
. . . A&E would never have encountered a situation that required a moral decision so long as they had no knowledge of good and evil.
Do you really believe that?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 10:47 am
That's just incredible. How could anyone believe anything else? If one has no knowledge of good or evil, the concept of morality is completely out of their ken.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 11:08 am
Setanta wrote:
. . . Now you're lying outright. In the first place, because those who are arguing against you are using the actual text of the scripture to point out, not that these jokers were "morally naive," but that they were completely amoral. . .
Dictionary.Com gives this definition of amoral:
"1. not involving questions of right or wrong; without moral quality; neither moral nor immoral.
2. having no moral standards, restraints, or principles; unaware of or indifferent to questions of right or wrong . . . "
Source: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/amoral
A look at Roget's Thesaurus includes words such as this for amoral:
unprincipled, corrupt, conscienceless, crooked, deceitful, devious, etc.
Source: http://thesaurus.reference.com/browse/amoral

Do you agree with joefromchicago that "A&E would never have encountered a situation that required a moral decision so long as they had no knowledge of good and evil."

I would find this an interesting point of view, if widely held. I must admit I had never envisioned anyone holding it.

EDIT:

Oh, I see you have already agreed. . . .
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 11:13 am
How would the human race have dealt with a situation presenting a type of moral choice we often find in our everyday life?

Example: One individual sees an object belonging to another and desires it for himself?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 11:14 am
Well Duh . . . of course i agree--"not involving questions of right or wrong; without moral quality; neither moral nor immoral" could not be a better description of someone without the knowledge of good and evil. I frankly am amazed that you believe you have an argument to make.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 11:14 am
neologist wrote:
mesquite wrote:
neologist wrote:
mesquite wrote:
Magical properties seems reasonable to describe a tree that produced fruit which when eaten would allow one to be as gods and know good and evil. Did you have an alternative to offer?
Since it represented a choice, it could have been a door they were told not to open, a path not to take, etc.

That is precisely my point neo. Had the author merely meant it to represent a choice it could have anything. In the Eden story however, the forbidden object was a fruit that had magical powers, very specific magical powers that relate directly to the point. Until they ate the fruit they did not know right from wrong. You keep breezing past that very significant part of the story as though it did not exist.
You keep ignoring the question of how they would have made moral decisions if they had not ieaten the fruit.

No I am not ignoring that question. I have repeatedly tried to point out to you that they could not possibly make moral decisions prior to eating of the fruit because they did not have the knowledge. The story tells you that in no uncertain terms. That you choose to ignore what is presented in the story does not change what is there.
neologist wrote:
I say they had an intuitive sense of God's moral standards. The act of eating the fruit was a rejection of those standards.
As previously pointed out to you by Setanta that is simply something that you made up. It is no more than wishful thinking that has no basis in the story and it completely dismisses one of the most important aspects of the story.

The inclusion in the story of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil and the tree of life both cause problems for and are ignored by your exegesis. They are introduced to us given special mention in Genesis 2:9 because of the part they play as the story develops.

9 And out of the ground made the LORD God to grow every tree that is pleasant to the sight, and good for food; the tree of life also in the midst of the garden, and the tree of knowledge of good and evil.

neologist wrote:
I may not have proved the proposition, but none of the posters in this thread have disproved it either.

There is nothing to disprove. It not not part of the story. You have not provided any evidence to support it. You simply made it up.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 11:15 am
Setanta wrote:
Well Duh . . . of course i agree--"not involving questions of right or wrong; without moral quality; neither moral nor immoral" could not be a better description of someone without the knowledge of good and evil. I frankly am amazed that you believe you have an argument to make.
OK, but:
neologist wrote:
How would the human race have dealt with a situation presenting a type of moral choice we often find in our everyday life?

Example: One individual sees an object belonging to another and desires it for himself?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 11:17 am
neologist wrote:

In the first place this is disingenuous because the Genesis story concerns itself not with the human race, but with two specified individuals. But leaving that aside, why should anyone who has no knowledge of good and evil consider it wrong to take what they desire, whether or not it were alleged to be the "property" of someone else?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 11:22 am
Setanta wrote:
neologist wrote:

In the first place this is disingenuous because the Genesis story concerns itself not with the human race, but with two specified individuals. But leaving that aside, why should anyone who has no knowledge of good and evil consider it wrong to take what they desire, whether or not it were alleged to be the "property" of someone else?
I kind or sorta thought the Genesis story more or less was a kind of explanation of why we have war and crime and sickness and death. But, leaving that aside, are you saying the bible account pictures a God who created man to be no different than animals?
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 11:35 am
neologist wrote:
I kind or sorta thought the Genesis story more or less was a kind of explanation of why we have war and crime and sickness and death. But, leaving that aside, are you saying the bible account pictures a God who created man to be no different than animals?

I think they are trying to tell you that your references to Genesis should take the story as it really is, and not the assumptions and parables you have made concerning it.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 11:38 am
Bingo . . . the Jesuits did not labor in vain.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 11:47 am
georgeob1 wrote:
neologist wrote:

I think they are trying to tell you that your references to Genesis should take the story as it really is, and not the assumptions and parables you have made concerning it.
Just a story then? Moses practicing his stylusmanship?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 12:47 pm
neologist wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:
. . . A&E would never have encountered a situation that required a moral decision so long as they had no knowledge of good and evil.
Do you really believe that?

Of course I do.

Let's take the one concrete example of a decision that we know A&E took when they were in the Garden of Eden: the decision to eat the fruit of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. God warned Adam of the dangers of eating the fruit of that tree:
    [16] And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat: [17] But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.

Note that god did not tell Adam that he shouldn't eat the fruit of that tree because it would be wrong to do so. Instead, god warned Adam not to eat the fruit because he would suffer an undesirable consequence as a result of eating the fruit. Likewise, when Eve had her conversation with the serpent, she never said that it would immoral to eat the fruit:
    [2] And the woman said unto the serpent, We may eat of the fruit of the trees of the garden: [3] But of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God hath said, Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die. [4] And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die: [5] For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil. [6] And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.

Thus we see how an amoral A&E confronted a situation that had moral implications: they evaluated it on strictly non-moral grounds. At no time did they think that what they were doing was wrong, they only hesitated because they thought it might be dangerous.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 04:37 pm
Quote:
a God who created man to be no different than animals?

thats a bit animalist isnt it? I'm proud to be an animal...well mammal. OK homosapiens. Animals rock.

(plants suck) Yo mammals
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 05:03 pm
Great closing argument Joe. I expect an acquittal. What will neo do when he can no longer blame Adam and Eve for all of jealous, vengeful, retributive, quick-to-anger slow-to-forgive, abusive, tyrannical, duplicitous, petty, murderous and barbaric (thanks Frank) behavior of the OT god?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 05:20 pm
IFF, Isn't most state of consciousness egocentric?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 06:03 pm
mesquite wrote:
Great closing argument Joe. I expect an acquittal. What will neo do when he can no longer blame Adam and Eve for all of jealous, vengeful, retributive, quick-to-anger slow-to-forgive, abusive, tyrannical, duplicitous, petty, murderous and barbaric (thanks Frank) behavior of the OT god?
Blame it on joe'nskeeter'nSet'ngeorge'nthe rest, that's what.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 06:08 pm
Setanta wrote:
Bingo . . . the Jesuits did not labor in vain.

They rarely do. However we rest confidently knowing you have and will continue to root out whatever defects can be found in their work product.
0 Replies