Christianity is a poor source of moral guidance

Setanta

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 07:47 am
neologist wrote:
There was two parts to my post and you picked the one I offered with a disclaimer.

But never mind.

You may say this represents a disclaimer, but Agrote's question which sparked this was whether "morality" derives from your god, or whether it is innate. You state that it is innate. You wrote: We all possess an inborn moral sense. Agrote responded by alleging that you had misunderstood the question, and that he asks if something is wrong because god says it is wrong, or something else, e.g., that it causes suffering. He then asks: Another way of putting it: when God said, "thou shalt not kill", did his command make it wrong to kill, or was it already wrong to kill?

Now, as i read this, Agrote has stated that you misunderstood his question, but then contradicts himself, when he asks that final question, which is answered in your earlier response that we possess an inborn moral sense, from which one can infer that you will say that killing is already wrong--which you subsequently do, but muddy the water further by writing: The command was to not commit murder; and murder has always been wrong.

This was followed by Steve, who wrote: But the Jews didnt know this until they got to the foot of Mount Siniai. It was only then that Moses revealed to them that murder theft and perjury were wrong. Until then they had been getting along quite well... To that, you responded: Cain was exiled for his murder.

That was not a disclaimer--it was a direct response to Steve's claim that the Jews did not know that murder was wrong until ol' Mose went up the mountain, had his vision, and came back with his ten commandments song and dance.

Now, given the the original question, despite Agrote's quixotic decision to demur, and claim he had not asked what he subsequently asked, the question was whether morality is holy writ from god, or whether it is innate. When Steve alleged that it comes from holy writ, specifically the Mount Sinai scam, you retort that Cain was exiled for murder, as thought that answers the objection. So i pointed out that Cain was exiled by the god and not any people in the world he inhabited, and that therefore, a reference to Cain's punishment does not constitute evidence that a moral repugnance for murder is innate, as opposed to ordained by your god.

Quote:
If you promote the idea that the bible reveals God to have set up his creations to fail, hence exhibiting a degree of sadism, then you really should consider explaining how this God was able to imbue in humans the qualities of love and justice he himself lacked.

Of course, you could just blow this off, but then I would wonder if all the money I have spent on coffee has been in vain.

You have not spent any coffee money on me, and i rather suspect that you'd have hyped yourself up on that drug to the same extent had you never known me.

If, as you claim, your god has imbued humans with the qualities of love and justice, then you only succeed in making your god look the more ridiculous. Anyone who has been paying attention knows that not all humans are loving and just. Therefore, your god must have made a slipshod job of imbuing love and justice in the human race. For a deity which you allege is omnipotent, that looks really silly.

Taken as a whole, Genesis as the record of the actions of a father show your god to be seriously bizarre, and lacking the basic parenting skills which most of humanity considers to be requisite for being a good parent.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 08:38 am
The disclaimer was in reference to my observation about the quality of Cain's sacrifice. I haven't withdrawn my observation. It's just not important in this thread.

And the fact that the account shows Cain to have been exiled by God and feared retribution by other men may certainly be construed to mean that murder was an abomination.

You are correct in your observation that not all humans are loving and just. But if you pay attention to the account, you will find that the flaws were chosen by man, not imbued by God. I've never insisted that you believe the bible account. All I have been asking is that you recognize what it says.

And while I have never spent any money on coffee for you, I was hoping to get credit for the thought.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 08:47 am
neologist wrote:
The disclaimer was in reference to my observation about the quality of Cain's sacrifice. I haven't withdrawn my observation. It's just not important in this thread.

And the fact that the account shows Cain to have been exiled by God and feared retribution by other men may certainly be construed to mean that murder was an abomination.

You are correct in your observation that not all humans are loving and just. But if you pay attention to the account, you will find that the flaws were chosen by man, not imbued by God. I've never insisted that you believe the bible account. All I have been asking is that you recognize what it says.

And while I have never spent any money on coffee for you, I was hoping to get credit for the thought.

Yeah, you get credit--perhaps you've noticed (perhaps you have not) that i treat you with more respect than any of the other theists here. I think you are often goofy about scripture, but i've never doubted your sincerity or honesty.

The references to Cain are very pertinent to the issue of the provenance of morality, the subject of this thread. You want now to claim that Cain would have gone in fear of all men because murder was an abomination. But the text does not tell us if it were abomination because, as you allege, we all possess an inborn moral sense, or because the god made it so. In fact, just on an anecdotal basis, i'd dispute that because of the implication of "the terrible twos" in children. Children have to be taught that they are not allowed to bonk their brothers and sisters on the head to steal their doughnuts.

But you want to claim that god imbued people with the qualities of love and justice, but to deny that your god would have imbued them with an abhorrence of murder. I think you protest too much. Especially when it comes to what the bible does and does not say.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 02:57 pm
Quote:
the Mount Sinai scam

too busy holding sides laughing right now to respond thanks
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 08:11 pm
Setanta wrote:
. . . Yeah, you get credit--perhaps you've noticed (perhaps you have not) that i treat you with more respect than any of the other theists here. I think you are often goofy about scripture, but i've never doubted your sincerity or honesty.

The references to Cain are very pertinent to the issue of the provenance of morality, the subject of this thread. You want now to claim that Cain would have gone in fear of all men because murder was an abomination. But the text does not tell us if it were abomination because, as you allege, we all possess an inborn moral sense, or because the god made it so. In fact, just on an anecdotal basis, i'd dispute that because of the implication of "the terrible twos" in children. Children have to be taught that they are not allowed to bonk their brothers and sisters on the head to steal their doughnuts.

But you want to claim that god imbued people with the qualities of love and justice, but to deny that your god would have imbued them with an abhorrence of murder. I think you protest too much. Especially when it comes to what the bible does and does not say.
I've always valued your input, Set. Most of what you say requires me to think.

Right now I think perhaps I misstated my case. God imbued humans with a perfect conscience which would preclude murder as well as stealing doughnuts. Adam and Eve, in their rebellion, sullied the conscience of us all, thereby requiring laws.

Does that help?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2007 06:46 am
neologist wrote:
God imbued humans with a perfect conscience which would preclude murder as well as stealing doughnuts. Adam and Eve, in their rebellion, sullied the conscience of us all, thereby requiring laws.

That can't be right. Adam and Eve most assuredly did not have an innate sense of right and wrong before they ate the forbidden fruit. As the Serpent put it: "Ye shall not surely die: for God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil." Gen. 3:4-5 (emphasis added). So A&E, at least, did not have a perfect conscience -- indeed, they didn't have any conscience whatsoever. If god imbued humans with a conscience, then, it was done as a post-lapsarian upgrade (Humans 2.0).
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2007 08:42 am
joefromchicago wrote:
neologist wrote:
God imbued humans with a perfect conscience which would preclude murder as well as stealing doughnuts. Adam and Eve, in their rebellion, sullied the conscience of us all, thereby requiring laws.

That can't be right. Adam and Eve most assuredly did not have an innate sense of right and wrong before they ate the forbidden fruit. As the Serpent put it: "Ye shall not surely die: for God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil." Gen. 3:4-5 (emphasis added). So A&E, at least, did not have a perfect conscience -- indeed, they didn't have any conscience whatsoever. If god imbued humans with a conscience, then, it was done as a post-lapsarian upgrade (Humans 2.0).
If no conscience, why did they cover themselves?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2007 09:24 am
neologist wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:
neologist wrote:

They didn't cover themselves until after the raid on the apple tree.

Genesis 2, in the King James Version:

And they were both naked, the man and his wife, and were not ashamed.

Genesis 3, same version:

And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.

And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons.

You've fallen below your standard on that one, Neo.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 08:11 am
neologist wrote:

Yep, what Setanta said.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 11:35 am
neologist wrote:

Why should a a perfect conscience cause the only two humans on earth to want to cover themselves?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 11:39 am
mesquite wrote:
neologist wrote:

Why should a a perfect conscience cause the only two humans on earth to want to cover themselves?
Perhaps because it was no longer perfect
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 12:35 pm
My question was Why should a a perfect conscience cause the only two humans on earth to want to cover themselves?

The Bible clearly implies that there is a problem with their nakedness since before the fruit tree caper they were no ashamed, yet they immediately began to cover up once their eyes were opened to the knowledge of good and evil.

Being the only two humans in existence, what was to be ashamed of?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 12:54 pm
mesquite wrote:
My question was Why should a a perfect conscience cause the only two humans on earth to want to cover themselves?

The Bible clearly implies that there is a problem with their nakedness since before the fruit tree caper they were no ashamed, yet they immediately began to cover up once their eyes were opened to the knowledge of good and evil.

Being the only two humans in existence, what was to be ashamed of?
The covering apparently had something to do with their sullied relationship to God.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 02:04 pm
A marvelous suppositionary imprecision from someone who so frequently speaks from perfect conviction.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 02:59 pm
Simply trying to direct skeeter's attention to the obvious.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 03:11 pm
If looking for the obvious one would see that prose as obviously conjured by folks that were accustomed to the wearing of clothing.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 03:27 pm
mesquite wrote:
If looking for the obvious one would see that prose as obviously conjured by folks that were accustomed to the wearing of clothing.
Are you excluding yourself from that group? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 03:31 pm
The prose I was referring to was the Eden story.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 04:00 pm
mesquite wrote:
Ah yes.

The story of how humans were created with a perfect conscience which they rejected.

Their rejection produced a feeling of guilt.

That reminds me of the time my cousin and I tried smoking in back of our neighbor's house. When I came home, I knew I was wrong and did the best I could to hide myself from Mom. It was as if she could see right through me and read the nicotine stain on my lungs. I would have done anything to cover up.

Guilt has a way of doing that.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 12:05 am
neologist wrote:
mesquite wrote:
Ah yes.

The story of how humans were created with a perfect conscience which they rejected.

Their rejection produced a feeling of guilt.

I only go with what the story says and not with what I wish it said. In Genesis I see no mention of them being created with a perfect conscience and rejecting it.

I see youthful innocence not unlike that of young children.

Genesis 2:25
And they were both naked, the man and his wife, and were not ashamed.

I see no mention of feeling guilt from eating the fruit. The story says that eating the fruit gave them knowledge of good and evil and that is when they covered up. The tree of knowledge gave them knowledge that nakedness was bad. Why was that?

Genesis 3:6-7
.6 And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.
.7 And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons.

neologist wrote:
That reminds me of the time my cousin and I tried smoking in back of our neighbor's house. When I came home, I knew I was wrong and did the best I could to hide myself from Mom. It was as if she could see right through me and read the nicotine stain on my lungs. I would have done anything to cover up.

Guilt has a way of doing that.

That is quite a leap to assume that concealing disobedience (if pure innocence can be disobedient) is accomplished by donning an apron.
0 Replies