Amigo

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 10:57 am
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2719700#2719700

Bookmark
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 11:38 am
Quote:
Moral behavior is inhibited when we act in order satisfy the desires of the ego. That is the very definition of selfish behavior. It means that I do what I (as a separate self) want, as opposed to what the situation requires. Acting without ego means to act according to the need of the situation. It is right action that is appropriate to the whole.

This makes me think of that Texas woman who thought, with no regard to herself, that her kids would be better off with Jesus so, acting in accordance with the need of the situation, she drowned them all in the bathtub.
0 Replies

IFeelFree

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 12:13 pm
boomerang wrote:
Quote:
Moral behavior is inhibited when we act in order satisfy the desires of the ego. That is the very definition of selfish behavior. It means that I do what I (as a separate self) want, as opposed to what the situation requires. Acting without ego means to act according to the need of the situation. It is right action that is appropriate to the whole.

This makes me think of that Texas woman who thought, with no regard to herself, that her kids would be better off with Jesus so, acting in accordance with the need of the situation, she drowned them all in the bathtub.

And how was that the need of the situation? Obviously it wasn't. This poor woman was so strongly identified with her religious beliefs that they took precedence over common sense and compassion. That was an extreme case of allowing a belief, or mental position, to substitute for reality. She was severely mentally ill.
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 12:25 pm
Re: Christianity is a poor source of moral guidance
joefromchicago wrote:
This might be merely a semantic problem, but I still have some difficulty with this notion of a "genuine" good deed.

Yeah, I could have phrased it better. Basically I'm just using the word 'genuine' to imply good intentions as well as good consequences. So a deed can be good in that it has good consequences (e.g. feeds the homeless), but I think that the ordinary notion of a 'good deed' includes more than that; specifically, a de re desire/intention to do the deed. I don't think that de dicto intentions are sufficient for a deed-which-has-good-consequences to really be what one would normally call a 'good deed'.

agrote wrote:
...the Christian is acting in accordance with god's command. But then wouldn't that make the deed "good?" If one's definition of a "good deed" is a deed done in conformance with god's command, then the Christian's act of feeding the homeless is most definitely a good deed.

Okay, I see what you're saying. If the property of the deed that makes it 'good' is the fact that God commands it, then desiring to do it because God commands it would actually be desiring de re to do the good deed, and there would be no problem. I guess if that's what Christians believe, my argument fails. But is it? Do Christians believe that it is good to feed the poor because God says so, and not because it will alleviate their suffering?

This boils down to the question of whether, in Christian theology, certain actions are right or wrong because God dictates that they are, or whether God dictates that certain actions are right or wrong because they are. So when God says, "Thou shalt not kill", is He making it wrong to kill, or is the wrongness of killing a natural fact that He is reporting to us? Morality would come from God either way (since all natural facts are the result of his creation), but are the facts of right and wrong supposed facts about what God says or about the way the world is? I'm not sure.

If the latter is true, and God is merely reporting what is already true, then I think my argument survives your objection. The properties of giving to the homeless that make it 'good' would be things like the fact that it alleviates suffering, and not the fact that God commands it. So the Christian would be acting for the wrong reasons if he gave to the homeless just because God told him to.

But I suspect you're right... I think maybe God's word is what makes things right or wrong in Christianity. Damn. You haven't convinced me that moral fetishism is okay, though (which I think might have been your original intention?). You've shown me that Christianity probably doesn't make people moral fetishists, which I thought it did.

Quote:
On the other hand, if you require that a "good deed" be done out of purely altruistic motives, then it might not qualify. But then you'd have to argue that there's such a thing as pure altruism, otherwise no deed would truly be "good."

Strangely enough, as I noted at the end of my first post, I actually believe that no deeds are truly 'good' (or 'bad'). Which makes me wonder why I keep going on about 'good' deeds. But I think I was trying to appeal to the common opinion that there is such a thing as goodness, and argue that Christianity clashes with the common notion of goodness by making us moral fetishists. I wanted to show that Christians, who often claim that religion can give us the morality that atheism lacks, are guilty of false advertising.
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 12:27 pm
Anyway, are there any Christians who can tell me what makes an action right or wrong? Do you believe that God's word makes it so, or that other facts about the action (e.g. the fact that it reduces suffering) make it so, and that God's word just reports this to us?

If the former, I give up.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 12:29 pm
IFF wrote:
This poor woman was so strongly identified with her religious beliefs that they took precedence over common sense and compassion.

She indeed had faith. Which reminds me of that republican mormon presidential candidate who just a few days ago said, in effect, that the people want a president who is a man of faith. When questioned about what a "man of faith" is, he responded that you need to ask that of the church, not of him. Weird innit?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 12:36 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
agrote wrote:
So Christians face a dilemma. They can be good Christians, and act as their religion tells them to, but then the 'good deeds' they perform will be acts of moral fetishism, rather than genuine good deeds such as feeding the hungry because they are hungry (and not just because the Bible says to).

I don't understand this. If the Bible commands Christians, in general, to do good deeds (say, e.g., helping the homeless), and a certain Christian, acting solely upon that command, does a good deed, how is that not a "genuine" good deed?

Is it because the Christian, all other things being equal, would prefer not to perform the good deed? If that's the case, then my next question would be: so what? I don't see how the good deed performed de re (for its own sake) is substantively different from the good deed performed de dicto, so long as the deed is not performed for bad motives.

For instance, suppose Driver is commanded by the state to obey the traffic laws. Driver, however, all other things being equal, would prefer not to stop at the intersection when the light turns red. Yet he does, solely because he does not want to break the law. Can we thus consider Driver to be law-abiding? I think the answer has to be "yes."

In the same way, if Christian gives a dollar to a beggar because he believes that God would command him to give that dollar to that beggar, then I see no reason to think that he is being anything other than a good Christian by giving the dollar.

There's no dilemma here. Christians who obey the mandatory commands of their religion are, by definition, "good" Christians. If Christianity commands its followers to perform good deeds, then obedience to that command is adherance to the faith, which would seem to me to be the sole criterion on which one is judged to be a "good" Christian or not.

I'm kinda worried, since I'm agreeing with Joe.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 12:39 pm
IFeelFree wrote:
And how was that the need of the situation? Obviously it wasn't. This poor woman was so strongly identified with her religious beliefs that they took precedence over common sense and compassion. That was an extreme case of allowing a belief, or mental position, to substitute for reality. She was severely mentally ill.

A jury of her peers found her to be sane and sent her to prison.

She thought she was acting with compassion - sending her kids to live with Jesus. HER need in this situation was to relieve her kid's suffering. What SHE saw as their suffering.

She knew she'd get in trouble for it but acting selflessly (in her opinion) she killed her kids. She was willing to sacrifice her freedom to give her kids a better existence.

I'm not arguing that she was right or that she was not mentally ill.

I'm saying that "dissolving your ego" doesn't grant you some purified morality. You might think it does but other people might think you're a criminal or that you're mentally ill.
0 Replies

IFeelFree

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 01:40 pm
boomerang wrote:
IFeelFree wrote:

A jury of her peers found her to be sane and sent her to prison.

She thought she was acting with compassion - sending her kids to live with Jesus. HER need in this situation was to relieve her kid's suffering. What SHE saw as their suffering.

She knew she'd get in trouble for it but acting selflessly (in her opinion) she killed her kids. She was willing to sacrifice her freedom to give her kids a better existence.

I'm not arguing that she was right or that she was not mentally ill.

I'm saying that "dissolving your ego" doesn't grant you some purified morality. You might think it does but other people might think you're a criminal or that you're mentally ill.

I don't think you don't understand what I mean by the term "ego". Just because person thinks they are acting selflessly, doesn't mean that they are. If a person is strongly identified with a particular mental position (in this case the woman's religious beliefs), they will act according to those beliefs rather than in response to the reality of the situation. If she had not held those beliefs so strongly, if she had had the presence of mind to question what she was doing to her children and to get in touch with her feelings of love for them, she would not have killed them. Her strongly held beliefs, flying in the face of reason and compassion, are a symptom of the ego -- identifying with a particular mental position instead of responding to the need of the situation.
0 Replies

IFeelFree

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 01:59 pm
agrote wrote:
Anyway, are there any Christians who can tell me what makes an action right or wrong? Do you believe that God's word makes it so, or that other facts about the action (e.g. the fact that it reduces suffering) make it so, and that God's word just reports this to us?

The dilemma is trying to reduce right and wrong action to a set of rules. It cannot be done. We can say that killing is wrong, for instance, but what about defending yourself or your family from an armed killer, or defending your country from an attacking force during wartime, or the doctor who gives a dieing patient an extra shot of morphine to hasten their demise so as to relieve their suffering? All right actions are conditional. When your awareness is fully in the present moment, without the distraction of compulsive thinking, you are open to what is. You look and listen. You are fully aware. Instead of reacting against the situation, you merge with it, and the solution arises out of the situation itself. If action is required, you take action that is appropriate to the whole.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 02:12 pm
Oh I know exactly what you mean by "ego".

When someone acts with what they believe to be selflessness, they're crazy. When you act with what you believe to be selflessness, you're enlightened.

Talk about ego!
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 02:58 pm
Quote:
...notion of a "genuine" good deed

In Judaism, this would be called a "mitzvah", an act of love coming strictly from the heart ( not to be confused however, with the 613 Jewish commandments ).
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 04:08 pm
agrote wrote:
But I suspect you're right... I think maybe God's word is what makes things right or wrong in Christianity.

I think that's correct. After all, that's the only way to explain those Christians who say that it is impossible for atheists to have a system of morality. If deeds were good or bad intrinsically, rather than good or bad in relation to how closely they conformed to god's command, then an atheist could be just as moral as a Christian, which, I'm sure, is a completely unacceptable conclusion for some Christians.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 04:08 pm
real life wrote:
I'm kinda worried, since I'm agreeing with Joe.

Be afraid. Be very afraid!
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 04:12 pm
IFeelFree wrote:
agrote wrote:

The dilemma is trying to reduce right and wrong action to a set of rules. It cannot be done. We can say that killing is wrong, for instance, but what about defending yourself or your family from an armed killer, or defending your country from an attacking force during wartime, or the doctor who gives a dieing patient an extra shot of morphine to hasten their demise so as to relieve their suffering? All right actions are conditional. When your awareness is fully in the present moment, without the distraction of compulsive thinking, you are open to what is. You look and listen. You are fully aware. Instead of reacting against the situation, you merge with it, and the solution arises out of the situation itself. If action is required, you take action that is appropriate to the whole.

Wouldn't Jesus have said it all of these killings would be wrong?

Didn't Jesus say to turn the other cheek?

What would Jesus have done in these situations?

Many CHRISTian's will defend these positions by quoting OTHER parts of the bible, many of which are in the OT which as been apparently replaced with the NT of Jesus CHRIST.

I'd really be curious to know what you all think Jesus himself would have done in the following situations.

1) If an attacker were going after Joseph and Mary with the intent to kill them.

2) If Jesus were the leader of the USA around the time we "Shocked and Awed" Iraq.

3) If Jesus were that doctor with the vial of morphine.
0 Replies

IFeelFree

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 05:49 pm
maporsche wrote:

I believe that "turn the other cheek" really means to be free of anger, or the motive to attack. It is one thing to kill when you are trying to "do the right thing" -- protecting others, relieving suffering, etc. -- and it is quite another to kill out of "blood lust" -- the desire to attack someone for personal gain. It may be impossible for someone to avoid all killing (if they enlist in the armed services, or police, or their family is attacked, etc.), but it is possible to be free of the motive to kill. You can "turn the other cheek" when others slander or threaten you, but still take steps to protect yourself, when necessary, and even act to protect others when the need arises.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 06:37 pm
IFeelFree wrote:
maporsche wrote:

I believe that "turn the other cheek" really means to be free of anger, or the motive to attack. It is one thing to kill when you are trying to "do the right thing" -- protecting others, relieving suffering, etc. -- and it is quite another to kill out of "blood lust" -- the desire to attack someone for personal gain. It may be impossible for someone to avoid all killing (if they enlist in the armed services, or police, or their family is attacked, etc.), but it is possible to be free of the motive to kill. You can "turn the other cheek" when others slander or threaten you, but still take steps to protect yourself, when necessary, and even act to protect others when the need arises.

So, what do you think Jesus would do in those situation you mentioned?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 09:08 pm
A great religion is like a great political party. It is all inclusive of those in the club. When Roosevelt's Democratic party ruled the land, there were liberals, conservatives, big business, labor, racists, African Americans- -the works. All working to keep the Republicans at bay. It's the same with Christianity. It can be all things to all Christians. That's why it allows in militants and peaceniks, spreading opposite messages, all in the name of Jesus. It makes for organization and power. You can explain the contradictions all day long and none of them are gonna buy it.
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 06:21 am
IFeelFree wrote:
agrote wrote:

What's this got to do with my last post? I was asking a question about Christian theology.

joefromchicago wrote:
If deeds were good or bad intrinsically, rather than good or bad in relation to how closely they conformed to god's command, then an atheist could be just as moral as a Christian, which, I'm sure, is a completely unacceptable conclusion for some Christians.

Yeah. I guess those Christians are right in saying that their religion can offer the morality that atheism lacks (or could if it were true). But it's not much of a selling point really... I'd rather live by no rules than be commanded by God to do this and that, and condemned to eternal suffering if I disobey Him. Atheism is a much more attractive option. Anything goes.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 06:29 am
agrote wrote:
Many Christians* perform deeds which make people happy, or reduce suffering - deeds which might be called 'good'. These include charity or missionary work, or simple everyday things. Performing good deeds is part of being a good Christian. But the reason for this (I think) is that the Bible, or the church, or maybe even God himself (if you believe in Him) tells Christians that they should perform these deeds, and that they are good deeds. I remember from Sunday school being taught something like... if a homeless man asks for your hat, give him your coat as well.

I'm in complete agreement.

The thing is, Christianity is a source of morality, but it's a subjective one just like every other source. This should be clear to every self-proclaimed Christian who has had a moral disagreement with any other Christian, yet they pretend otherwise. Even a simple blood transfusion can be viewed as good or evil depending on the Christian.
0 Replies