Christianity is a poor source of moral guidance

neologist

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 01:30 am
mesquite wrote:
. . . I only go with what the story says and not with what I wish it said. In Genesis I see no mention of them being created with a perfect conscience and rejecting it. . .
You have not reasoned this out. As the story was written, what would have been Adam and Eve's eventuality had they never eaten the fruit? Would they have had no conscience? would their childish innocence have permitted them to murder and steal?

Not if they were perfect. They would have the innate knowledge to avoid those things. That's called 'conscience'. They did not have to know good from bad in order for it to work. The choice they were given was whether or not to accept this moral compass or to make decisions on their own.

I realize that not everyone can easily understand this. But it is one of the most important concepts in the bible.

It's kind of like a person who buys a car and refuses to be guided by the owners manual.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 08:00 am
neologist wrote:
I realize that not everyone can easily understand this. But it is one of the most important concepts in the bible.

Maybe people have a difficult time understanding that because it's complete nonsense. Adam and Eve most assuredly had no conscience before tasting of the fruit of the tree of knowledge. Conscience, after all, is nothing more than the knowledge of right and wrong, and A&E didn't have that until the whole apple thing. To say, then, that they didn't know good from bad but that they did have a conscience is simply absurd. It's saying that they had a conscience even though they didn't have a conscience.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 08:21 am
joefromchicago wrote:
neologist wrote:

Maybe people have a difficult time understanding that because it's complete nonsense. Adam and Eve most assuredly had no conscience before tasting of the fruit of the tree of knowledge. Conscience, after all, is nothing more than the knowledge of right and wrong, and A&E didn't have that until the whole apple thing. To say, then, that they didn't know good from bad but that they did have a conscience is simply absurd. It's saying that they had a conscience even though they didn't have a conscience.
You have to remember Joe that you are discussing with a religionist. They have a real advantage because different rules apply. Whereas we are forced to stick to the facts, no such constraint falls on them. Religion is a "discipline" where stuff is made up as they go along, evidence counts for nothing, interpretation of myth is everything. Pointing out a logical inconsistancy is like finding a wobble in a jelly.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 09:02 am
joefromchicago wrote:
neologist wrote:

I find it incredible that you are unable to discern what is being told.

Adam and Eve had only one choice to make regarding morality: Accept the moral sense they were created with or go it on their own.

You don't have to believe the story. You may call it a fairy tale. But it says what it says.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 09:11 am
Re: Christianity is a poor source of moral guidance
joefromchicago wrote:
agrote wrote:
So Christians face a dilemma. They can be good Christians, and act as their religion tells them to, but then the 'good deeds' they perform will be acts of moral fetishism, rather than genuine good deeds such as feeding the hungry because they are hungry (and not just because the Bible says to).

I don't understand this. If the Bible commands Christians, in general, to do good deeds (say, e.g., helping the homeless), and a certain Christian, acting solely upon that command, does a good deed, how is that not a "genuine" good deed?
Is it because the Christian, all other things being equal, would prefer not to perform the good deed? If that's the case, then my next question would be: so what? I don't see how the good deed performed de re (for its own sake) is substantively different from the good deed performed de dicto, so long as the deed is not performed for bad motives.

For instance, suppose Driver is commanded by the state to obey the traffic laws. Driver, however, all other things being equal, would prefer not to stop at the intersection when the light turns red. Yet he does, solely because he does not want to break the law. Can we thus consider Driver to be law-abiding? I think the answer has to be "yes."

In the same way, if Christian gives a dollar to a beggar because he believes that God would command him to give that dollar to that beggar, then I see no reason to think that he is being anything other than a good Christian by giving the dollar.

There's no dilemma here. Christians who obey the mandatory commands of their religion are, by definition, "good" Christians. If Christianity commands its followers to perform good deeds, then obedience to that command is adherance to the faith, which would seem to me to be the sole criterion on which one is judged to be a "good" Christian or not.

ill interject my 2 cents. what if the bible said stabbing a homeless man in the face was a good deed?

You could say that every christian can use common sense to determine what is right and wrong on their own, but then the fact stands why have the bible you know?

either way, it ends up bad. Crusades anyone? Spanish inquisition anybody? case closed, religion is dumb.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 09:31 am
Re: Christianity is a poor source of moral guidance
OGIONIK wrote:
. . . ill interject my 2 cents. what if the bible said stabbing a homeless man in the face was a good deed?

You could say that every christian can use common sense to determine what is right and wrong on their own, but then the fact stands why have the bible you know?

either way, it ends up bad. Crusades anyone? Spanish inquisition anybody? case closed, religion is dumb.
I read in another thread that you were leaving the S&R forum..

Please don't

I don't agree with you overmuch, but enjoy reading your opinions.

I gather from your posts that you place a lot of stock in the innate goodness of humans. So do I.

Hang around, willya?

Sometimes I serve coffee.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 09:51 am
neologist wrote:
But it says what it says.

The problem which Joe and Mequite and i have is not with what the story says--it is with what you claim it says.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 10:40 am
Setanta wrote:
neologist wrote:
But it says what it says.

The problem which Joe and Mequite and i have is not with what the story says--it is with what you claim it says.
Or what they claim it does not say.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 11:08 am
neologist wrote:

Adam and Eve had only one choice to make regarding morality: Accept the moral sense they were created with or go it on their own.

You don't have to believe the story. You may call it a fairy tale. But it says what it says.

Yes, it says what it says. It also doesn't say what it doesn't say. And it doesn't say that A&E had a moral sense they were created with. In fact, it says just the opposite.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 11:11 am
joefromchicago wrote:
neologist wrote:

Yes, it says what it says. It also doesn't say what it doesn't say. And it doesn't say that A&E had a moral sense they were created with. In fact, it says just the opposite.
Really?

Explain, then, how they would have behaved in a moral sense if they had never eaten the fruit?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 11:35 am
neologist wrote:
Really?

Explain, then, how they would have behaved in a moral sense if they had never eaten the fruit?

Easy. They wouldn't have.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 11:50 am
joefromchicago wrote:
neologist wrote:
Really?

Easy. They wouldn't have.
They wouldn't have behaved in a moral sense?

They wouldn't have behaved?

Stunning example of rhetorical wisdom.

Excellent dodge of the only reasonable answer which is they would have been guided by some innate moral direction.

Can you spell C - O - N - S - C - I - E -N - C - E ?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 11:57 am
neologist wrote:

What makes you think they would have behaved in a moral fashion? If they did not know right from wrong, how exactly could they have behaved morally?

neologist wrote:
Excellent dodge of the only reasonable answer which is they would have been guided by some innate moral direction.

No, that's not reasonable at all, and it is certainly not supported by the Genesis account.

neologist wrote:

Give it up. You don't do condescension very well.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 12:06 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
neologist wrote:

What makes you think they would have behaved in a moral fashion? If they did not know right from wrong, how exactly could they have behaved morally?
So they would have behaved as what? Animals? Politicians? Any guide at all?
joefromchicago wrote:

neologist wrote:

No, that's not reasonable at all, and it is certainly not supported by the Genesis account.
Then what would would have been their direction as you read the account? Anything?
joefromchicago wrote:

neologist wrote:

Give it up. You don't do condescension very well.
Nor do you play dodge ball very well.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 12:10 pm
Joe is not dodging--but you sure are dancing.

There is absolutely no support in the text of Genesis for the claims you are making. In fact, the text inferentially contradicts you.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 12:14 pm
Setanta wrote:
Joe is not dodging--but you sure are dancing.

There is absolutely no support in the text of Genesis for the claims you are making. In fact, the text inferentially contradicts you.
Still waiting for someone to tell me what sort of moral guidance Adam and Eve would have arrived at had they not eaten the fruit.

If Joe's answer of 'they wouldn't have' is not dodging. What is it?

I know the idea of a perfect conscience is anathema to many.

Sorry about that.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 12:19 pm
neologist wrote:
Still waiting for someone to tell me what sort of moral guidance Adam and Eve would have arrived at had they not eaten the fruit.

Joe answered you. There is absolutely no reason to assume that they had a "moral sense," and more importantly, to assume that they needed a "moral sense." You are inserting this concept into the text by inference, although there is nothing in the text to support that contention. You are doing it because you have stated that people have an "innate moral sense," a position for which you provide no support. You just state it, as though that were sufficient to make it so, and to insert it into the argument.

Quote:
If Joe's answer of 'they wouldn't have' is not dodging. What is it?

A straight forward statement of the meaning of the text.

Quote:
I know the idea of a perfect conscience is anathema to many.

There is absolutely no reason for a cheap shot such as that. Rather than argue the contention, you are here attempting to smear those who disagree with you.

Quote:
Sorry about that.

No you're not--you are intentionally taking a snotty attitude because you're getting beat up when you attempt to logically support a claim for which there is no evidence in the text.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 12:23 pm
Tell me, Set. The first time Adam saw something that was not his, something that was desirable, what would prevent him from taking it?
Remember, he was supposedly perfect.
Surely that may be inferred from the text.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 12:24 pm
neologist wrote:
Remember, he was supposedly perfect.
Surely that may be inferred from the text.

Where? The text says nothing about "perfect".
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 12:26 pm
Setanta wrote:

neologist wrote:
Sorry about that.

No you're not--you are intentionally taking a snotty attitude because you're getting beat up when you attempt to logically support a claim for which there is no evidence in the text.
Yeah, its just my imperfect response to those with an unsupported air of superiority.

But I can't help myself. I'm just an ignorant religionist with a troglodytic upbringing
0 Replies