everything else does .....

Chumly

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 04:37 pm
IFeelFree wrote:
Chumly wrote:
I oftentimes am smiling while I write this stuff, so I get your jokes, only I might not respond in kind, in any case it's my view that heliolatry has a higher level of rationally and plausibility as does alien seeding compared to your claims.
Not from where I'm sitting.
Demonstrate your beliefs (as you have discussed here) have a higher level of rationally and plausibility than heliolatry and/or alien seeding.
0 Replies

IFeelFree

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 05:01 pm
Chumly wrote:
IFeelFree wrote:
Chumly wrote:
I oftentimes am smiling while I write this stuff, so I get your jokes, only I might not respond in kind, in any case it's my view that heliolatry has a higher level of rationally and plausibility as does alien seeding compared to your claims.
Not from where I'm sitting.
Demonstrate your beliefs (as you have discussed here) have a higher level of rationally and plausibility than heliolatry and/or alien seeding.

Let's see, heliolatry is sun worship. It appears to be a type of mythology that explains the behavior of the sun. (Am I missing anything here?) My argument would be that it contradicts what we know from science -- that the apparent movement of the sun is due to the rotation of the earth about the sun. Therefore, heliolatry would appear to be in contradiction to modern empirical knowledge. If my description of the soul is not in contradiction with scientific knowledge, I would have to say it is more rational and plausible. No?

Alien seeding is a bit more interesting. I believe that it is a proposed mechanism for the origin of life on earth. For all I know it could be true. In fact, it is sufficiently plausible that it might be more plausible to many people than metaphysical models of soul transmigration. I'm not sure I could demonstrate that one was more rational or plausible than the other. However, they seem to apply to different phenomena, so I'm not sure that's a problem.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 05:27 pm
You are applying only a few concepts of heliolatry and attaching a simplistic and narrow a view to them. You would be wrong to sum up heliolatry as explaining the behavior of the sun. It can just as easily be applied to the belief that the sun is The Consummate Provider.

Also I did not ask you whether or not heliolatry / alien seeding had congruency / incongruence as per your beliefs, I asked "Demonstrate your beliefs (as you have discussed here) have a higher level of rationally and plausibility than heliolatry and/or alien seeding."

It makes no difference (at this early stage - it will later) whether you assert your belief system can or cannot mesh with heliolatry / alien seeding.

If you can demonstrate, then I would argue why your stated beliefs cannot (with the equivalent degree of rationally and plausibility) be maintained in light of heliolatry and/or alien seeding.

You're putting the cart before the horse to argue your belief system can be maintained in light of alien seeding and you're putting the cart before the horse to argue heliolatry is negated by science.
0 Replies

IFeelFree

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 05:58 pm
I don't get what you're saying at all. You asked, "Demonstrate your beliefs (as you have discussed here) have a higher level of rationally and plausibility than heliolatry and/or alien seeding." If I argue that heliolatry is in contradiction to modern empirical knowledge about the sun, while my beliefs about the soul are not, doesn't that demonstrate that my beliefs "have a higher level of rationality and plausibility"? I think it does. I assert that my beliefs do not violate any known law of physics. You can't expect me to run through every law of physics and demonstrate the truth of that assertion. If anything, the burden is on you to argue otherwise, based on what I've said.

As for heliolatry involving other concepts, that's irrelevant. I've already demonstrated that one of its beliefs contradicts modern scientific knowledge. I don't know anything more about Heliolatry and I don't see any need to consider it further. If you believe otherwise, please enlighten me.

In the case of alien seeding, I've stated that I cannot make the argument that my beliefs "have a higher level of rationally and plausibility". They're both plausible from my point of view, and I have no basis to find one belief more reasonable than another. That's the best I can do.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 06:09 pm
I'd best mosey on, nice chatting with you!
0 Replies

echi

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2007 10:19 am
IFeelFree wrote:
echi wrote:
I understand the benefits of changing one's perspective; no faith needed for that. But for a belief in "astral planes", "past lives", etc.-- clearly, a good amount of faith is required.

Which is why one should maintain a healthy skepticism. That doesn't mean that we shouldn't keep an open mind or that evidence is not possible. In my case, I have had dramatic experiences of the chakras, or energy centers, as well as vivid memories since early childhood of dieing in a shipwreck at sea. This lends some credence to the notions of the astral body and past lives, for me personally. However, I would not expect my experiences to be convincing to others. We each have to be true to our own understanding and experience. If unusual subjective states or experiences present themselves, the rational approach is to look for explanations that do not violate what we know about the world.

One thing we both know, I suspect, is that it always makes sense to go with the simplest, most rational explanation. I can respect your beliefs, just as I can respect a religious person's beliefs (If I try real hard). More than that, I would like to understand why a seemingly intelligent person would hold such beliefs. Personal experience is not necessarily good evidence. People hallucinate, have distorted memories, and can easily be swayed by their emotions, their hopes and fears. You stated that "the rational approach is to look for explanations that do not violate what we know about the world". If there are gaps between your ideas and science, how do you think those gaps might be filled?
[I know this isn't a very good post, but I am kinda busy today. I'll get back to it as soon as I can.]
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2007 10:55 am
echi, You explained it quite well, and I'm also interested how people (of intelligence) interpret their beliefs. As you have stated, personal experience is not a reliable gage of truth or logic. bm
0 Replies

IFeelFree

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2007 12:37 pm
echi wrote:
One thing we both know, I suspect, is that it always makes sense to go with the simplest, most rational explanation. I can respect your beliefs, just as I can respect a religious person's beliefs (If I try real hard). More than that, I would like to understand why a seemingly intelligent person would hold such beliefs. Personal experience is not necessarily good evidence. People hallucinate, have distorted memories, and can easily be swayed by their emotions, their hopes and fears. You stated that "the rational approach is to look for explanations that do not violate what we know about the world". If there are gaps between your ideas and science, how do you think those gaps might be filled?

The best explanation is as simple as possible, but no simpler. To disregard personal experience is to over-simplify. Beliefs that arise as a result of our personal experience are worthy of consideration, provided that there is no indication of aberration, mental problems, brain tumor, etc., and that we can provide evidence to support those beliefs. Personal experience is necessary because we cannot understand the totality of life if we remain a dispassionate observer. Life is participatory. We can understand about nature with the scientific method, but self knowledge requires participation in the life process.

In my case, I not only have my personal experiences of spiritual states, but I also have the benefit of having lived or participated in various spiritual communities over the past 33 years. I am not referring to any of the institutionalized religions, but rather to smaller groups of spiritual practitioners who come together at various times and places, but may not be well-known by the public. (As a recent example, a few years ago I took part in a week-long retreat with the spiritual teacher Eckhart Tolle, author of "The Power of Now".) I have become aware that many others share my experiences, and that the collective participation of those engaged in true spiritual practice can produce a more responsible culture. In addition, I have also been involved with the scientific community as a materials scientist for the past 25 years. I have been to many scientific conferences, presented papers, and been involved with a wide variety of projects, including a crystal growth experiment conducted by a close coworker who flew aboard the NASA space shuttle. So, I have participated in both the cultures of the scientific community and alternative spirituality communities. I can speak from personal experience rather than theorize.

From my point of view, scientists are completely ordinary people with the exception that they have highly developed intellects. This allows them to delve into the complex workings of nature and discover the laws that govern the physical world. Otherwise they possess no particular wisdom about life, nor for the most part any notable insights into human nature or spiritual matters. (There are a few exceptions.) Yet we are the "priests" of the modern age and are often accorded a certain degree of respect. On the other hand, many of the communities of spiritual practitioners with which I've been involved have displayed a mature culture largely free of the neurotic dilemmas of modern life and without the dramatization of ego, such as cultic behavior. It is apparent to me that spiritual practice has not only benefited me personally but also contributes to better social functioning. This does not seem to be the result of "hallucinations", "distorted memories", and emotions.

If there are "gaps between [my] ideas and science", they need to be resolved. I cannot, as a scientist, believe in things that violate what we know about the world and have strong evidence for. That is why I mostly reject faith-based institutionalized religion. However, I have studied a large cross-section of spiritual literature, both ancient and modern, as well as modern accounts of near-death/out-of-body experiences, tantric and kundalini practices, etc., and I see a metaphysics that does not contradict what I know of science and does not conflict with my own experience. I believe it is possible to explore the spiritual dimension in a rational, intelligent way that does not compromise modern scientific understanding.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2007 04:27 pm
Like IFF, I entertain ideas that are not consistent with the ideology of many people of modern sophistication. I do not respond to ideas of astral bodies, or even reincarnation. Such notions are not included within my worldview, but that does not mean that they are false and that those ideas consistent with my worldview are necessarily true. My years of meditation and reading have rendered me open to certain "spiritual" perspectives on the "ultimate" nature of the World--as it is available to me.
I appreciate IFF's concern that his ideas not contradict scientifically established truths (which, of course, will probably be outdated in time).
I think it important that we all realize that our deep respect for the Scientific Perspective not be confused with Scientism, the notion that current scientific findings depict an absolute and omnicompetent perspective on, and model of, the World. That would be an ideological perspective unworthy of either science, mysticism or the humanistic disciplines.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2007 05:48 pm
JLNobody wrote:
. . . I appreciate IFF's concern that his ideas not contradict scientifically established truths (which, of course, will probably be outdated in time).
I think it important that we all realize that our deep respect for the Scientific Perspective not be confused with Scientism, the notion that current scientific findings depict an absolute and omnicompetent perspective on, and model of, the World. That would be an ideological perspective unworthy of either science, mysticism or the humanistic disciplines.
Exclamation
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2007 09:43 pm
Neologist wrote Exclamation

Question
0 Replies

IFeelFree

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2007 11:33 pm
JLNobody wrote:
...I appreciate IFF's concern that his ideas not contradict scientifically established truths (which, of course, will probably be outdated in time).

Yes, scientism is the religion of the modern age. It is the belief that all problems can be solved scientifically, and that science is the absolute authority. This completely disregards the limits of science, and that much of reality is beyond its reach. Science is a valuable tool to learn about nature, but it cannot speak about spirit, values, freedom, love, and self-transcendence.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 01:12 am
It wouild seem that only the creationists would create such a word as "scientism." There's absolutely no need for such a word in science.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 05:05 am
JLNobody wrote:
Neologist wrote Exclamation

Question
Exclamation Signifying agreement.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 05:11 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
It wouild seem that only the creationists would create such a word as "scientism." There's absolutely no need for such a word in science.
Au contraire. JL's definition above is most appropriate.
0 Replies

IFeelFree

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 09:54 am
cicerone imposter wrote:

There should be no need for the term "scientism". However, when the limits of science are not respected and science becomes a world-view, a strategy of relating to the world, and the ultimate authority, then science becomes the religion of scientism.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 09:58 am
IFeelFree wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:

There should be no need for the term "scientism". However, when the limits of science are not respected and science becomes a world-view, a strategy of relating to the world, and the ultimate authority, then science becomes the religion of scientism.
Exclamation
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 11:56 am
IFF: However, when the limits of science are not respected and science becomes a world-view, a strategy of relating to the world, and the ultimate authority, then science becomes the religion of scientism.

You're placing the burden on science, and you know that's not the case. Individuals may believe science as a religion, but show me a "real" scientist with that belief?
0 Replies

IFeelFree

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 12:27 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
You're placing the burden on science, and you know that's not the case. Individuals may believe science as a religion, but show me a "real" scientist with that belief?

Those scientists who dismiss all spirituality as hooey and assert that science is the only valid way of knowing. There are a lot of them, and there are a lot of the general public who feel this way as well. They are misguided, in my view. They have swallowed the religion of scientism, hook, line and sinker. This view is only marginally more enlightened than the fundamentalist extremists. It is not true understanding.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 12:32 pm
IFF: "...and assert that science is the only valid way of knowing."

Please list those scientists by name, and what they actually said.
0 Replies