neologist

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2007 01:04 am
Inasmuch as the soul is you, yes.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2007 01:09 am
According to Oscar Wilde

Quote:
The soul is born old but grows young. That is the comedy of life. And the body is born young and grows old. That is life's tragedy.

A Woman of No Importance, Oscar Wilde
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2007 06:42 am
Eorl wrote:
What soul ?

A soul is many things to many people. To some it exist, to others it does not exist ... to most it lies somewhere in between. To know of the words existence places you somewhere in the middle leaning toward yes or no to whatever degree. Your question covers a lot of territory.
Let me rephrase my question to fit your answer .... set aside 'original sin ..... were you born innocent?
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2007 07:08 am
neologist wrote:

Define 'you' please ...
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2007 07:16 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
According to Oscar Wilde

Quote:
The soul is born old but grows young. That is the comedy of life. And the body is born young and grows old. That is life's tragedy.

A Woman of No Importance, Oscar Wilde

Along the order of 'the world is but a stage'. What made these old guys so smart anyhow? Smile
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2007 08:26 am
Gelisgesti wrote:
neologist wrote:

Define 'you' please ...
I should have said that the soul is the person; or, in your case, the soul is you. . ..
0 Replies

IFeelFree

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2007 05:04 pm
The Hindu and Buddhist belief is that the soul accumulates experience and knowledge as it incarnates in successive bodies on earth, culminating in liberation in which the soul merges with the Infinite.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2007 05:18 pm
Yeah but the soul is not an entity which may be separated from the body; and it is mortal.
0 Replies

IFeelFree

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2007 06:16 pm
neologist wrote:
Yeah but the soul is not an entity which may be separated from the body; and it is mortal.

The soul may be separated from the physical body. The physical body falls away at death, but the soul remains, encased in astral and mental bodies. Eventually, all bodies fall away and the soul merges with the Infinite so that, yes, the soul is "mortal".
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2007 08:11 pm
I was just giving the bible's view.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2007 08:22 pm
...or at least one of them, Neo.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2007 10:43 pm
It's one that really flubbers my bible toting friends, I'll admit.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 12:54 pm
Gelisgesti wrote:
neologist wrote:

Define 'you' please ...

Define 'define' please
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 01:03 pm
neologist wrote:

That's what the bible says? How could that be? If that's true, then what is it that goes to heaven or hell? Is it your soul and your body?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 01:05 pm
kickycan wrote:
neologist wrote:

That's what the bible says? How could that be? If that's true, then what is it that goes to heaven or hell? Is it your soul and your body?
Define 'hell'
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 01:21 pm
I'll go with the hell defined in the bible.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 01:26 pm
This place.

Matthew 13:42: And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Matthew 25:41: Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire. . .

Revelation 20:15: And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 01:50 pm
kickycan wrote:
I'll go with the hell defined in the bible.
The Hebrew understanding of the word 'sheol', often translated 'hell' is the common grave of mankind. It is never associated with Satan or suffering. In fact, the psalmist related this about the condition of the dead:

"His spirit goes out, he goes back to his ground;
In that day his thoughts do perish." (Psalm 146:4)

To which Solomon added:
"For the living are conscious that they will die; but as for the dead, they are conscious of nothing at all, neither do they anymore have wages, because the remembrance of them has been forgotten. 6 Also, their love and their hate and their jealousy have already perished, and they have no portion anymore to time indefinite in anything that has to be done under the sun." (Ecclesiastes 9:5,6)

The Hebrews used the Greek 'hades' to represent 'sheol' in their translation of the Septuagint. And, since both death and hell (hades) are to be destroyed in the lake of fire (Revelation 20:14) and death will be no more, (Revelation 21:4), it becomes apparent that you will need to further refine your original question.

You realize, do you not, that were you to tell a 17th century Englishman to go to hell, he would think you were talking about his root cellar.
0 Replies