Quavering voices of defeat: media and administration

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2003 08:35 am
Both the administration and its supporters in the press seem to be suffering from hoarse throats, stuttering.

From David Brooks to William Safire to the stable of military "experts" who would crop up on radio and TV to defend the war with Iraq, voices and language seem to betray a great unease and loss of faith in their pro-administration argument.

Have you noticed this? Are the media separating themselves from the administration? Are there still committed supporters out there?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 840 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2003 09:00 am
The media have begun to show some spine -- and many other influential people have decided they can sound off without running into charges of lack of patriotism.

The law of unintended consequences seems to be raising its ugly head for these boobs.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2003 09:03 am
Spine? Sounds more like they did an opinion sample, saw where the herd was headed, and boldy ran to the front and started leading.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2003 09:04 am
how unusual Wink
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2003 09:12 am
The herd is running scared. They may not follow the judas goat much longer.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2003 09:44 am
Very nice, Au. I just don't think they're any scared-er than usual -- they just cling to the edges of their desks until the ratings come in and then either preen or fight dirtier.

The image of judas goat for bush is just so-o-o-o-o good.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2003 09:52 am
roger wrote:
Spine? Sounds more like they did an opinion sample, saw where the herd was headed, and boldy ran to the front and started leading.

Rog-- I loved that quote!

Methinks: Part of this new quietness (because I am feeling it, too) is due to 1) thinking some evidence should've been found by now to support reasons for war... 2) not being convinced Bush is as evil as detractors make him out to be--but having serious questions you are waiting on answers to.

I think some opinions are in flux, awaiting resolution of a few items.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2003 10:25 am
Well, I still think the media are showing some spine -- and I dare say none of it seems to be founded on any great admiration for Bush or his administration.
0 Replies