Momolympics Event: Last-Minute Birthday Prep

sozobe

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 12:52 pm
Announcer Bob: It's a lovely day for this event, sunny and warm but with some cool breezes from the West.

Announcer Dan: Indeed, you couldn't ask for better weather for this extremely challenging event.

Bob: Earlier, you saw the Ukranian National Champion crash and burn. It was the present that really did her in.

Dan: <shakes head sorrowfully> It was really a shame, she was doing so well until then.

Bob: Here she is! The next attempt will be made by this mother of one from Columbus, OH. This is her first Momolympics. I think she looks a bit nervous, what about you?

Dan: She sure does, Bob. While our viewers were catching the last part of the Getting Ready For School After a Late Night event -- what a rousing finish on that one! -- this mom was getting the last-minute birthday invitation, and talking to other parents of children who were invited about whether to go. She took the challenge, and now is getting started!

Bob: Dan, the clock now reads 5:23 PM. She is still at the pool. The party starts at 7:00 PM. Her work is cut out for her... let's zoom in and see how she's doing.

Dan: She's doing the "If you want to go to the party you're going to have to move a lot faster" speech really well, Bob. Oh, that's an interesting addition, telling her daughter that if she isn't EXTREMELY helpful she won't even be able to go to the party. A risky ploy that could backfire, let's see what happens.

Bob: They're making good progress towards the car, I think this could work. Car's on -- OH! What a blow, and this early on, too. Look at that fuel gauge! This could be a problem.

Dan: Wow, it's BELOW the "E" line.

Bob: They're off. And now a word from our sponsors. Stay tuned!

Dan: And we're back. The mom from Columbus has just reached her house. The clock reads 5:32 PM. The party starts at 7:00. Look at that focus! She's planning on making it.

Bob: She sure is, Dan. She's giving precise instructions to her daughter, what to do and when to do it. This is the fun part, when we see the teamwork. Her daughter's cleaning. The mom's looking for birthday packaging. The daughter's still cleaning. The mom found a birthday bag -- is that champagne on it? Seems to be. She's still looking. There, the one with the nice pink flowers, she seems to have decided that one will do.

Dan: Daughter's still cleaning, seems to be doing a pretty good job of it.

Bob: Mom's looking through her shelf of "miscellaneous gifts," considering various items. The still-packaged pink faux pearl bracelet seems to have made the cut. Not so much with the picture frame and the mirror, though. Wonder what she had against them?

Dan: Remember that a good chunk of the points go to "enjoyment of gift by gift recipient," so it's a good thing she's being careful there.

Bob: True, Dan, very true. Time is really flying by here, they're getting a lot done but I'm kind of nervous, we have a lot left to do, don't we?

Dan: Looks like the mom has the same idea, there she is preparing some food -- she hasn't been informed whether there will be food at the party, that's probably a good move there, worth a few points.

Bob: Indeed, Dan. The daughter seems to have lost some momentum though, uh-oh -- is she now PLAYING with her toys instead of cleaning them up?

Dan: Oooh, that's a big no-no, let's see whether the mom catches it -- yep, she does, that was short-lived. Wow, this place is really shaping up fast, isn't it?

Bob: Yep, with the two of them running around, they're really making some progress. In fact I'd say it's almost clean.

Dan: What's that -- looks like the mom just thought of something. OH, emailing her husband, of course. He doesn't have any idea what's going on. Good move, but that's going to take some precious minutes.

Bob: Look at that sprint as she lays out the food for her daughter and then goes back to the computer. Not bad at all.

Dan: I think we're nearing the end of this phase. We'll take quick break and come back before the most exciting part of this event, don't worry. Stay tuned!

Bob: You're watching the "Last-Minute Birthday Prep" on the Momolympics, and this is a doozy, folks. It's 6:21 and they have just jumped in the car -- which, for those who are just joining us, has a nearly empty gas tank. And they're off to get a present for the birthday girl -- the mom ALMOST decided to just use various "miscellanous gifts" that she already had but decided it wouldn't be worth the loss of "enjoyment" points and is off to get something that has something to do with Bratz. That's her only clue about the birthday girl's preferences.

Dan: Precious little to go on there, Bob, let's see how she does.

Bob: Wow, they are really zooming through Target! I am impressed! That kid is keeping up really well. A little bit of a trip there, but she recovered.

Dan: They're in the Bratz aisle. Look at that concentration. She needs to hit the sweet spot -- not too cheap, not too expensive. She's picking something up -- a doll with magic hair, and with a special hair streak item for the girl. Frowns. Doesn't seem to think that's suitable. Moves on to another doll, it's on sale, it seems fancy, I think she's going for it. She is! And they're moving towards the check-out counter.

Bob: Wait! Not so fast, Dan! It seems like she just realized that the huge packaging the doll comes in won't fit in the bag she already selected. Off they go to the gift packaging aisle...!

Dan: Oooh, they just keep hitting those roadblocks, don't they? And now there seems to be an argument going on about the packaging -- the kid wants the most expensive one there, the mom is trying to get another. Time's a-wastin', folks!!

Bob: OK, they've made their decision and now they're to the checkout counter. Look at how fast they're moving!

Dan: Good eye in finding that short line, that saved probably 5 minutes right there.

Bob: You're right, Dan. And now they're back out to the car. What's the time?

Dan: Bob, it is already 6:52. I'm just not quite seeing how they're going to be able to make it.

Bob: I know, Dan, but we've seen some amazing stuff on the Momolympics, it could happen.

Dan: The present isn't wrapped, there isn't any gas in the car -- I don't know, Bob.

Bob: They're pulling in to the gas station about two blocks away -- now that's a nice move! While the car is filling up with gas, the mom is putting the present in the new gift bag, with the tissue paper she brought from home.

Dan: That reminds me, Bob, one thing we weren't able to show was that the mom found a birthday card and had her daughter write in it when the daughter was eating her dinner.

Bob: Right, Dan, that was a nice little moment. And they're off again!

Dan: OK, this is the home stretch! Can they make it?

Bob: And another short break, we'll be back very soon!

Dan: And we're back. They hit the highway without too many problems, there was one light maneuver that was quite impressive. What's the time, Bob?

Bob: Dan, I hate to say it, but it's 6:59. That's right, they have ONE MINUTE to get to the party.

Dan: Wow, Bob, that's unfortunate. They seem to be more than one minute away. They could still pull it off though if everything aligns just right.

Bob: That's their exit -- looks like the light cooperated -- and this is it folks, they're pulling into the parking lot!

Dan: Bob, you could cut the tension with a knife. They've found a spot near the entrance, and the mom is finishing up with the present -- fluffing some tissue, positioning the card -- come on, we need to get moving, people!

Bob: There they go. And they're in!

Dan: What's the time, Bob?

Bob: Let's see... ooooh. It's 7:03, Dan.

Dan: Wow, they were so close... but wait! Where is the birthday girl?

Bob: What's that, Dan?

Dan: I see the girl's mom -- and two other party-goers -- but where's the birthday girl herself?

Bob: Dan, I think we have ourselves a photo finish! There she is driving up now! Yes, you heard me right -- the mom and daughter got there BEFORE the birthday girl!

Dan: This is amazing! I'm not sure I've ever seen this before in a Momolympic event!

Bob: It's the wrap-up -- the hug, the kiss, the asking the birthday girl's mom whether she'll need any help -- and this event is OVER, ladies and gentlemen!

Dan: Look at the relief on her face!

Bob: My goodness, Dan, the contestant from China is going to have to work really hard to beat that score...

Dan: You're sure right, Bob. Before we meet our Chinese Last-Minute Birthday Prep mom, a word from our sponsor... don't go away!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 797 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 01:40 pm
Soz--

Congratulations: On your Well Deserved Title, your Prose Style and your firm grasp on the humor of reality.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 02:07 pm
Laughing Way to go Momolympic champion! I'm usually 15 to 20 minutes late in those situations. The Target scene is oh so familiar.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 03:40 pm
Yeah, a few months ago SonofEva didn't even remember to tell me about a 3 o'clock party until 4. We did the Target run in record time* and made it to the party late but still in time for cake and presents.

*It's a little easier with a teenager. He decided what to get on the way to Target, then once inside we split up. He picked up the gift while I ran for the gift sack, tissue & card, and we met up at the register. 3 minutes, tops. He put it all together in the car & signed the card while I broke speed limits to the party 3 miles away. SCORE!!!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 06:39 pm
That's an excellent idea, though, sozlet could've done the tissue thing while I drove. I'll do that next time.

Also had to remove price tags and put the gift receipt in the card.

We actually were invited a couple of days before the party -- still last-minute, the parents were really busy, dropped off the invite in person at like 8:30 PM -- and we'd planned not to go because it was late (7-9 PM) and seemed like a lot of hassle for someone who's a friend but not a close friend.

Then went to the pool the day of the party, and there were several other people we knew who were there. As they started to wrap up to go they mentioned going to a party, I said "Danielle's?", they said yes. I complained to one mom about the time of the party -- not just the clock time per se but that they'd be hopped up on sugar and totally hyper from running amok and it'd take them a while to calm down enough for bed -- and she shrugged and said, "Yeah, but it's just ONE night..." I decided she had a point.

(Sozlet did indeed take forever to calm down enough to get to sleep, but she had a lot of fun.)

(Thanks for the kind words Noddy and FreeDuck. :-) I usually go to Target or a small local toy store for birthday presents. A bit ago I went to the smaller one [it has nicer stuff and has free cool giftwrapping] just before a party and ran into another mom going to the same party, doing the same thing. The lines for giftwrap were endless so she went ahead and took the kids to the party [sozlet too] while I waited for the presents to be wrapped and brought up the rear.)
0 Replies