** Thomas the Train ** Recalls for lead paint

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 04:50 pm
Link HERE

Quote:
NEWS from CPSC
U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission
Office of Information and Public Affairs Washington, DC 20207

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
June 13, 2007
Release #07-212 Firm's Recall Hotline: (866) 725-4407
CPSC Recall Hotline: (800) 638-2772
CPSC Media Contact: (301) 504-7908

RC2 Corp. Recalls Various Thomas & Friends™ Wooden Railway Toys Due to Lead Poisoning Hazard
WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with the firm named below, today announced a voluntary recall of the following consumer product. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed.
Name of Products: Various Thomas & Friends™ Wooden Railway Toys

Units: About 1.5 million

Importer/Distributor: RC2 Corp., of Oak Brook, Ill.

Hazard: Surface paints on the recalled products contain lead. Lead is toxic if ingested by young children and can cause adverse health effects.

Incidents/Injuries: None.

Description: The recall involves wooden vehicles, buildings and other train set components for young children listed in the chart below. The front of the packaging has the logo "Thomas & Friends Wooden Railway" on the upper left-hand corner. A manufacturing code may be located on the bottom of the product or inside the battery cover. Toys marked with codes containing "WJ" or "AZ" are not included in this recall.

Im hoping this isnt true.
Im REALLLLLLLLLY hoping this is some kind of bs story on the internet.

lead paint???? Confused Im a childs toy?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,560 • Replies: 8
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 06:18 pm
I have $7,000,000 worth of Thomas toys and not one damn package they came in. How in the world am I supposed to know if they're the lead paint toys or not.

<sigh>

Next thing you know they'll be telling me to take away his damn chain saw.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 06:38 pm
Laughing

the link I posted gives you a picture of the specific pieces that are being recalled.

We too were slowly working into the thomas the train thing...

Im back peddling now.

I will want to get her the train table.. but I think we may pick an off brand
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 06:41 pm
Oh yeah -- off brand for sure. Target sells stuff compatable with the Thomas stuff. I think it's called "Little Tree". Much cheaper but they don't make many complicated track pieces.

There is a toy store by my house that sells individual track pieces made by Melissa and Doug for a couple of bucks a pop for the fancy stuff -- great track.

I'll check out the link. Thanks for the info.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 06:48 pm
Hmm..

I will look into the m&doug stuff

I do like how sturdy their toys are.
And little lady REALLY wants a train table

Maybe, i could get the table ( with out the lead) and build one myself..

hmmmmm
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 07:05 pm
Little Tree is the cheaper stuff. I think you get something like 75 pieces for $19.95 at Target.

They don't include switchers and hills and turnarounds and bridges and toll bridges and on and on and on and on at that price. They also don't sell small sets.

Melissa and Doug stuff is priced right up there with Brio and Thomas track, usually sold in sets for a lot of money. The little toy store by my house (not ToysRUs) sells individual pieces of fancy track which is a lot better deal than getting 30 pieces of straight track and one switcher for $60.

Don't forget to check out craigslist -- there is always lots of Thomas stuff on there.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 07:08 pm
Here's a nice train table on Austin's list for $25.00! http://austin.craigslist.org/bab/351111141.html

Be sure to go to baby/kids and type in "train" not "Thomas".

We never did a table -- the floor works much better.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 07:10 pm
You can buy a lead paint test kit to find out if an item is made of lead or has lead paint on it. The tests are cheap, less than $20. I once restored some vintage children's furniture and I tested the paint for lead before removing it.
You can probably Google it or ask your local hardware store.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 07:15 pm
Given the recalls of cheap kiddie jewelry, and other products from China, I'd stopped buying anything made in China for friends' kids about 2 years ago.

Not worth the stress.
0 Replies