Can you spot the painting? (please)

mcrimes

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2003 04:49 pm
I'm hoping that one of you nice people will be able to help me out with the identification of the painting snippet below.

Tracking it down and then some information about the painting is part of a quiz I'm taking part in, but I'm stuck with this one.. I recognise it, but can't place the picture or the artist.

Any help on either point would be very much appreciated.. I've flicked through every book I have and clicked on more webpages than I care to remember Smile

http://www.btinternet.com/~tyderian/unknownpainting.gif

thanks in advance,

Martin
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,241 • Replies: 20
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2003 04:52 pm
Well, I am pretty sure I know, but if it's a quiz... well, telling you would be cheating. (Actually, my potty training went pretty smoothly -- why do you ask?)

Pay close attention to the style. The closer in you go, the better.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2003 04:56 pm
It's a detail from a Seurat but not sure which one. Not the famous canvas "A Sunday on La Grande Jatte" which was the basis for "Sunday in the Park with George," the Sondheim musical. If you enter

Seurat

into Google it should come up with a lot of links and one of them may reveal the canvas you're looking for.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2003 05:01 pm
Here it is:

http://www.artchive.com/artchive/S/seurat/asnieres.jpg.html
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2003 05:03 pm
http://artchive.floridaimaging.com/s/seurat/thumb/asnieres.jpg

Bathers At Asnieres

by George Seurat
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2003 05:13 pm
There should be a rule, try to hold back giving answers to people who identify their need for an answer to assignments or quizes. Soz had the right idea , give a clue but not the answer.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2003 05:13 pm
Seurat was a pointalist and this particular canvas
was rejected by the Salon d'Arte, so Seurat and some
other painters formed an independent league of artists.

Omitted image due to stretching the forum!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2003 05:15 pm
Too easy to come up with, farmerman and at least he poster admitted it was homework.
0 Replies

mcrimes

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2003 05:59 pm
Thankyou Lightwizard and others for your time.
It's actually a part of a question in an online puzzle site I've been working through for the past year or so. (www.thestone.com), and recognising this picture will hopefully move me a step along the path to the next set of research for the puzzle... Now I just have to find what links the picture (or maybe the artist) to what look like neolithic cave drawings and the colours Red, Green and Blue..

So thanks again.. I've been completely stuck with this puzzle due to a picture I just couldn't recall for about a week now and it was starting to get very very frustrating.

Martin
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2003 06:58 pm
I hate to say youre wrong again wiz, but...(see above response)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2003 10:59 pm
Many of us including myself are sensitized to not answering homework questions...this one turned out to be kind of fun to help, as it turned out, being as it was a game question. I was part of a generally grouchy group on another site for Never giving homework answers (some people disagreed). What to do in a similar homework instance? Perhaps, after Sozobe's response would get a what?, mention pointillism. Or maybe we should inquire about why the interest...except that we don't do that to each other, eh? Just giving the answer isn't anything we want to get famous for here, in my opinion, assuming that among us we can usually come up with answers.

But helping people find out how to get the answer...that could be something we would want to be known on the web for..., again, in my opinion. I think it was Wiz who gave on some other threads ways to use boolian logic to ferret out answers from the web...

So far, I haven't seen a2k used as a homework answering site, but maybe I have been missing posts.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2003 08:04 am
He said quiz so I figured it was an art history class. I actually should have pulled the painting out of my memory as Seurat was part of my term paper in college art history. I had the word "bathers" in my head but couldn't remember the locale. Anyway, it would be a good art history test clue.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2003 08:06 am
BTW, I entered

Seurat, Bathers

in Google and got it right away.

I did give Seurat as a clue but not Bathers. Then on a lark I decided to enter it into Google and see what happened. I came up with the answer immediately and I saw no reason to withhold it -- there was actually only one site I found later on that had the particular canvas in a list!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 10:07 am
Hey, Mr. Wizard. I learned something today. Seurat is from the Ashcan school of art, and the only homework that I have to do is around the house. Seriously, I like those paintings. Guess that makes me a freshman. Razz
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 10:15 am
I've never read that he's classified as Ashcan but as a Post-Impressionist. A link?

I know what the problem is with those who don't like answering homework question. The answer should be how to use Google or any search engine to find the answer. I happened to have the time to find the particular image but I am working full time at a gallery now and will not have the time. If someone were to play scolding high school teacher, they have a reason or shut up. Other than mistaking a Brillo pad for a Tampax that day.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 10:35 am
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 10:43 am
Ok, Mr. Wizard. I take it all back. I didn't learn nothing. Smile

I have tried several times to lead those who are asking for help, and they never come back to say nuttin'. At least mcrimes said, "Thank you."
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 10:54 am
mcrimes was the ideal quiz question asker -- it is kinda irritating when posters come aboard and try to bait members to give homework answers. They should just be outright about it:

I'm stumped on this homework question and can't find it in my textbook or on the internet. Can you help?

I found, for instance, that it was difficult to find the information about the Ashcan school in my Arenson "History of Modern Art" and opted to quickly use Google to refresh my memory. It came up really fast. Students should learn how to use Google (not to mention their textbooks) instead of trying to take the easy way out and have an Able2Know member use Google for them. I had time this morning to answer your Ashcan School "question" as I'm off today. However, I do have to get out of here to look for a new bathroom drop in counter.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 10:57 am
And actually I gave mcrimes a pass that he was admitting it was homework as he quickly corrected me -- it was a fun quiz question. Everyone should have the Google search bar with the Image search button!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 11:26 am
Martin, first of all, I couldn't see your snippet, but I followed the Wizard's lead. I hope you don't make the same mistake that I did in assuming that Seurat was from the Ash Can school of art. Actually, in using google and clicking on image, I found that it was Bellows (never heard of him) who was the ash can man, but very similar to Seurat's paintings.

We learn from our mistakes, Martin, and again, I commend you for your sensitivity.

Incidentally, I learned something more. I found that many people think that the Ash Can school of art was a reaction to the Muckrakers, which it isn't. If you are inquisitive, search out the Muckrakers. Fascinating study in American history.
0 Replies