IN HAWAII "SPAM" IS SERVED IN A SANDWICH !

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 05:04 pm
in hawaii SPAM is not a dirty four-letter word but shows that the people of the islands know what's good for them ! Shocked
hbg (no SPAMMING here)

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/dayart/aponline/77258.48Spam-War.sff.jpg

Quote:
A sign advertising Spam lunch meat breakfast at Burger King in Honolulu, Sunday, June 10, 2007. Both Burger King and McDonalds are offering the processed meat with eggs and rice for breakfast in Hawaii only. Hawaii leads the nation in Spam consumption despite being one of the least populated states.

source :
YOU WANT "SPAM" ? HAWAII IS THE PLACE TO GET IT
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 5,887 • Replies: 63
No top replies

Coolwhip

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 06:02 pm
Do they call it a spamburger?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 06:30 pm
You ain't eaten ham till youve eaten Span
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 06:44 pm
I lived on Oahu for a little over 3 years. One 'loval' favorite thing that tripped me out was the "Spam Musubi" that they sold everywhere - at the checkout counter of the 7/11 - everywhere. It's one or two pieces of spam, samdwiched together with some pressed rice and wrapped with a strip of seaweed. My stepdaughter Jennifer LOVED this stuff - she even took to eating dry seaweed in sheets, all by itself. But spam is called "Hawaiian Steak" jokingly by the haoles.

http://www.hmsa.com/risingcost/feature/part3/images/spam_musubi.jpg
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 06:56 pm
"Hawaiian" spam as remembered from my childhood:

toasted hamburger bun
crisply browned slice of Spam
pineapple ring
cheddar cheese on top and broiled

Mmmmmm.

This was a rare treat and constituted "fast" food on busy Saturdays.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 06:57 pm
SPAM used to run a great radio ad campaign asking random folks-on-the-street what SPAM is made from. The answers were pretty comical. The best one was a deep-voiced guy who insisted, "NO-BO-DY knows what's in SPAM!"

My mother would occasionally make fried SPAM and eggs for dinner when we were kids -- er, no thanks!
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 01:02 am
Back in the day of my childhood on the buckle of the bible belt I attended classes in a small rural hamlet called Avoca, Texas. (Dannon knows where Avoca is.)

Anyhoo Friday was SPAM day - chicken fried spam served with stewed apricots and home made biscuits. Friday was the only day I had lunch at school.

Rest of the week I had super dogs.

I still love spam.

sglass
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 01:20 pm
when we came to canada some 50 years ago , we thought SPAM made a reasonable replacement for european sausges (such as beerwurst , mortadella) which were at that time not available in the smaller places in ontario .
a fry-up with some spam and eggs was quite accetable too .
haven't eaten it in years now , since we can get all kinds of european style sausages in our local delis .
i understand that a can of spam - nicely wrapped - is quite an acceptable gift in japan ???
hbg

there is even a kind of HAIKU , called SPAM-KU :

Quote:
"A marvel, a shimmering look at the gobbling ooze.
Sings of the history, taste, and romantic tremble of SPAM."
-- San Francisco Examiner

0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2007 11:38 am
I had seen a whole show on the food network regarding Spam and Hawaii. Seems they love spam and it is a huge part of their recipes. Very odd to me.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2007 05:27 pm
linkat wrote :

Quote:
I had seen a whole show on the food network regarding Spam and Hawaii. Seems they love spam and it is a huge part of their recipes. Very odd to me.

how about SPAM with fresh pineapple chunks ? Laughing
hbg
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2007 05:30 pm
The trick is to cook it until it's brown and crispy. Undercooked Spam is about as appetizing as undercooked bacon.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 11:01 am
Tai Chi wrote:
The trick is to cook it until it's brown and crispy. Undercooked Spam is about as appetizing as undercooked bacon.

You mean it can be appetizing?
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 11:05 am
Linkat wrote:
Tai Chi wrote:

I'm guessing you're not a camper, Linkat Smile
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 11:11 am
http://timetraces.com/armourheightsreunion/photogallery/Odds_and_Ends/thmnails/image148.jpg

you can always try canada's "luncheon meat" ( Shocked ) KAM !

or try some appetizing "corned beef" !
http://www.herefordfoods.com/hereford-products/images/hereford-corned-beef-12oz.jpg
Quote:
Number one in quality and extremely versatile, Hereford Corned Beef is great any time of day or night. Perfect for homemade corned beef hash and eggs, a Reuben sandwich, corned beef tacos, or mixed with rice and vegetables.

if that doesn't make your tastebuds tingle , nothing will !
hbg
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 11:21 am
Well, there's spam egg sausage and spam, that's not got much spam in it
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 11:30 am
It's SPAM's 75th Anniversary Year! Collect all three of the Memorabilia Cans, celebrating landmarks of the past! And, for only three proofs-of-purchase, you can get your very own SPAM Anniversary Tee-Shirt!

Whoopee!

Edit to add... you can make any dish into a "Hawaiian meal" -- just add a slice of fried SPAM and a scoop of macaroni salad. I've seen canned chow mein served this way as Hawaiian Chinese food...
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 03:45 pm
Tai Chi wrote:
Linkat wrote:
Tai Chi wrote:

I'm guessing you're not a camper, Linkat Smile

Yeah I've been camping. I have yet to have spam while I went camping.
0 Replies

Doowop

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 04:23 pm
Corned beef and raw sliced onion sandwich is one of my favorites!

It makes my breath smell like a Sumo's armpit, but I work outdoors on my own, so what the heck.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 07:06 pm
doowop wrote :

Quote:
Corned beef and raw sliced onion sandwich is one of my favorites!

first you let that old bull get mashed and put in a can to be sold to you -
and to punish the old bull , you put sliced onion on him !
don't you feel the slightest bit sorry for that old bull ; couldn't you at least use a vidalia ?
hbg
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 08:32 pm
My jadek ws a world class carp fisherman. Hed catch carp and make my grandmom make fishcakes out of it. Hed use Spam for bait because it had a nice oily reek to it and the fish loved it. His secret was to cut Spam inot bait strips and let them sit out for a day or two so theyd get ripe. SOmetimes theyd draw in a channel cattie but jadek always got a barrel of carp.

Boy, those fishcakes sucked too.
0 Replies