Ok, you can pick 10 paintings past or contemporary -which???

sozobe

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 02:37 pm
In total agreement re: the barf-inducingness of he who shall remain nameless. However, look what I found:

http://smilies.crowd9.com/cwm/cwm/puke.gif
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 02:37 pm
Lucian Frued sometimes looks too purposefully shocking and rather decadent to me. Just a personal reponse as I really couldn't live with one of his images.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 02:43 pm
Vivien, I visited the Courtauld Gallery at Somerset House on my visit to London last March. I do not remember the Titian, but the van Gogh. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 02:49 pm
vERMEERS 'in the Artists Studio", is my Number 2
I am thinking paintings rather than artists. I dont particularly like all the works of an artist whose work I pick. Like I dont like Church's Cotapaxi, nor do I like any of Vermeers Religious (earlier) works.

MONET-Gare St LAzar

T Eakins-The Gross Clinic

pAblo Picasso-guernica(Ive got a wall for this one)

H Frankenthaler-Study in Orange and Blue (not sure if this is the correct name)

georgia Okeefe-the Gray Hills

A Wyeth -Marsh Hawke Farms

Winslow Homer-Northeaster

E Hopper-Rooves of Washington Square

that plus my Church makes an even 10
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 02:49 pm
Yeah, I certainly wouldn't want to live with a Freud. I will happily look at one closely in a museum/ gallery, though.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 02:51 pm
LW - no I wouldn't want to live with one of Lucian Freuds images - but they are powerful. He wouldn't be one of my 10.

Ci yes the Courtauld institute has some nice work doesn't it? and a calm quiet ambience.
0 Replies

sozobe

WOW! Farmerdude's got serious taste.

I'm having a terrible time with this. For one thing, my tastes have changed radically from when I started paying attention to art, so I think of a "favorite" and realize it's not so much a favorite anymore. (I used to absolutely adore Matisse's painting of a fishbowl, and most Gaugin. Now I don't object, but it wouldn't be in my top 10.)
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

I also enjoy Georgia OKeefe's large flower paintings. c.i.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 02:55 pm
yes farmer has got some great work there and i totally agree with not liking the total output of an artist but relating to some more than others - and some not at all.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 03:02 pm
Just wondering. It's interesting to see how different people have different taste in art works. Not only the visual, but also music. I wonder if there's a connection between a person's personality and their like and dislike for certain art works? c.i.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 03:09 pm
[quote="cicerone imposter"]Just wondering. It's interesting to see how different people have different taste in art works. Not only the visual, but also music. I wonder if there's a connection between a person's personality and their like and dislike for certain art works? c.i.[/quote]

yes I'm sure there is.

I can't stand rules and regulations and the 'way things should be done' - I like freedom - I like paintings with free gestural marks, flowing, moving, dynamic.

I don't like silly rules for rules sake - like 'pure' watercolours with no other medium included. to me this is pointless as the image is all and other media can add enormously to the finished piece. The same with social 'classes' - I can't be doing with them!!

Music is the same - on another thread there is a lively discussion about being a 1-3 or a 2-4 ...

I like music where the rhythms are interesting and the instruments 'talk' to each other in the same way as the colours and forms do in a good painting.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 03:29 pm
I realized one was supposed to pick a particular painting but I would have to take time to narrow that down. I'd be pleased with any Titian portrait or any of the John's flags -- I do own a limited edition print from the Vasarely studio of "Raura," which is in a different color way of the image in MOMA. I realize you're all going to say, the lightwiz owns a print. Shocking! Actually I own more than a few prints and they are what fit into my interior design along with some of my own originals. I had sold of all of my original paintings may years ago and kept hold of only one by an abstract painter Barbara Brown for some nostalgic reason.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 03:31 pm
BTW, farmerman, if I owned "Guernica" I would be tempted to hang it on my ceiling like a Sistine Chapel effect.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 03:39 pm
Here's a link to the Titian collection at the Courtauld Institute. http://www.courtauld.ac.uk/sub_index/gallery/provenance/provenance003.html
c.i.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 03:42 pm
art
C.I., I once tried to introduce the notion of some kind of aesthetic personality, different from the outward behavioral personality of people. I couldn't quite articulate the notion clearly. I think Wiz was part of the discussion. But your question touches on that issue. I believe two people can be quite similar in their personalities, as psychologist see them, but have a distinct aesthetic profile. One person may like Baziotes and Stamos (whom I see as similar, and like) but dislike Dufy and Marin (whom I see as similar but dislike--although that's too strong a word for it), and vice versa.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 03:48 pm
JLN, I'm sure nuance has everything to do with it. c.i.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 03:52 pm
The portraits are difficult to find in museums -- they tend to have ended up in a log of private collections. Of course, I love to visit this one at the Getty in L.A.:

http://www.getty.edu/art/collections/images/m/00103001.jpg

Venus and Adonis
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 03:54 pm
c.i. - there's no search feature at the Courtauld and your link led to Peter Paul Rubens (which would be in a top twenty list), but I was unable to unearth the Titians.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 03:56 pm
art
Yes indeed, C.I.. The famous dictum should be rephrased "The Devil is in the nuance(s)."
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 04:01 pm
LW you can get the Titians to come up on the Courtauld site but the painting i wanted to link to isn't there. You have to skim down the list as they are in alphabetical order if it the same site as i looked at.
0 Replies