This turned out well....

DrewDad

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 01:49 pm
http://www.suntimes.com/news/nation/422633,CST-NWS-jail11.article

Quote:
9/11 law takes God, Allah, Yahweh from jails

June 11, 2007
NEW YORK -- Inmates at the federal prison camp in Otisville, N.Y., were stunned by what they saw at the chapel library on Memorial Day -- hundreds of books had disappeared.
The removal of the books is occurring nationwide, part of a long-delayed, post-Sept. 11 federal directive intended to prevent radical religious texts, specifically Islamic ones, from falling into the hands of violent inmates.

Three inmates at Otisville filed a lawsuit over the policy. They say all religions were affected.

Inmate John Okon said it was unfortunate because ''I have really seen religion turn around the life of some of these men.'' AP

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 451 • Replies: 2
No top replies

roger

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 05:08 pm
Well, I'm not real big on Islam, but strongly support the constitution. Well, felons give up certain rights and I guess this is one of them. I would sure hate to see this kind of censorship spread outside of the prison walls.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 05:21 pm
Chuck Colson wrote:
I don't usually make predictions, but here's one I'll venture: If, God forbid, an attack by home-grown Islamist radicals occurs on American soil, many, if not most, of the perpetrators will have converted to Islam while in prison.
0 Replies