Powell Says Close Gitmo

okie

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 10:05 am
McGentrix, cyclops is going to call his lawyer before the enemy shoots him. I guess that might be what he is talking about. I don't have a clue really.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 10:10 am
okie wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
Seemed obvious to me Okie.

It is to the reasonable. Reason only works with the reasonable.

Cyclops, the rule of law does not work in war. This again should be obvious. I suppose you would read a guy his rights to call a lawyer before you shot him? And oh yes, also call the forensics expert or crime scene investigator to collect evidence after the crime. He would probably be collecting it from your body, cyclops.

And by the way, we try to follow the laws of war, but terrorists are inventing new and bizarre ways to wage war, that even breaks those previous laws, if you can call them that.

Ridiculous. The Rule of Law applies all the time, not just in peacetime. It is the foundation of our nation and the source of our moral superiority.

I'm not surprised that you hold the Rule of Law in such low regard, but that does not change it's primacy. The POTUS takes an oath, not to protect the country (as so many of you Conservatives mistake) but to protect and uphold the Constitution, ie, the Rule of Law.

Your attempt to Appeal to Extremes is not material to the matter under discussion.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 10:33 am
okie wrote:

Cyclops, the rule of law does not work in war.

Then I guess the term "laws of war" is an oxymoron.

The questions that remain unanswered are 1) what has Gitmo done for us as a nation and 2) why is treating them all as POWs not an option?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 11:51 am
Case in point about the perils of not respecting the Rule of Law...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070611/ap_on_re_us/enemy_combatant

Quote:
I am not afraid of terrorism!

Terrorists will never take control of America!
[/size]

There is a zero percent chance that Islaamic terrorism will overthrow America or ruin our system of life. The only way they can affect America is by scaring people who live here into changing the things which make America great. You've been scared into doing exactly this, and should realize the error of your ways before it's too late.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 12:43 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:

While the appeals court for the Fourth Circuit is reputed to be one of the two most conservative appeals courts, its judges aren't military judges.

I like the spirit of the rest of your post though.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 12:47 pm
Decisions like that boost my confidence in our judicial system.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 01:01 pm
FreeDuck wrote:

Come to think of it -- isn't Atlanta in the 4th district?
0 Replies

HokieBird

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 01:06 pm
Good and bad news for Al-Marri, then.

Good news that he's entitled to constitutional protections as a legal resident. Bad news that the Constitution does have a specific treason clause.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 01:14 pm
HokieBird wrote:
Good and bad news for Al-Marri, then.

Good news that he's entitled to constitutional protections as a legal resident. Bad news that the Constitution does have a specific treason clause.

Whether the treason clause is bad for Al-Marri will depend on how strong the Bush administration's case is -- if it has one.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 01:22 pm
Thomas wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:

Come to think of it -- isn't Atlanta in the 4th district?

I'm a tad ashamed to say that I have no idea. I better find out.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 01:34 pm
I checked it -- Atlanta is 100-200 miles outside the fourth district, in the eleventh.

http://www.uscourts.gov/courtlinks/
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 01:35 pm
You are awfully handy to have around, Thomas.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 01:43 pm
FreeDuck wrote:

Thanks. But I have to be more careful with this stuff. We sleeper cell operatives shouldn't flaunt that we know some of this American civics stuff. It makes us stand out among Americans, who don't.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 01:50 pm
powell really took his time before speaking up !
somewhat reminds me of some german generals that started to speak their mind AFTER the second WW ended - a lot less compromising , it seems .
i wonder if he knew nothing about gitmo at the time - just like many german leaders claimed they knew absulotely NOTHING about any atrocities - until after the war !
hbg
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 01:56 pm
FreeDuck wrote:

The appeals court has published the opinion on its web page. Judging by the first few pages, it's very strongly worded. I don't think the executive will have much luck appealing it to the Supreme Court. If a court as conservative as the 4th circuit appeals court words its decision so strongly, I think the conservative justices on the Supreme Court will feel disinclined to overrule it.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 02:01 pm
Thomas wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:

Thanks. But I have to be more careful with this stuff. We sleeper cell operatives shouldn't flaunt that we know some of this American civics stuff. It makes us stand out among Americans, who don't.

We must fight terrorism by removing civics instruction from our schools. It is a tool used by the terrorists. Once the plan is in place, you sleepers will be easier to spot then a red flag on an iceberg. Then we can swoop in and round you all up and store you in those new "detainment facilities" that Halliburton is building for us.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 02:13 pm
Have you read Thurber's fable "The Peace-Like Mongoose"? It was required reading in our 11th grade curriculum, and it's one of my favorites.

[b]The Peacelike Mongoose[/b] by James Thurber In cobra country a mongoose was born one day who didn't want to fight cobras or anything else. The word spread from mongoose to mongoose that there was a mongoose who didn't want to fight cobras. If he didn't want to fight anything else, it was his own business, but it was the duty of every mongoose to kill cobras or be killed by cobras. "Why?" asked the peacelike mongoose, and the word went around that the strange new mongoose was not only pro-cobra and anti-mongoose but intellectually curious and against the ideals and traditions of mongooism. "He is crazy," cried the young mongoose's father. "He is sick," said his mother. "He is a coward," shouted his brothers. "He is a mongoosexual," whispered his sisters. Strangers who had never laid eyes on the peacelike mongoose remembered that they had seen him crawling on his stomach, or trying on cobra hoods, or plotting the violent overthrow of Mongoosia. "I am trying to use reason and intelligence," said the strange new mongoose. "Reason is six-sevenths of treason," said one of his neighbors. "Intelligence is what the enemy uses," said another. Finally, the rumor spread that the mongoose had venom in his sting, like a cobra, and he was tried, convicted by a show of paws, and condemned to banishment. [i][b]Moral:[/b] Ashes to ashes, and clay to clay, if the enemy doesn't get you your own folks may.[/i]
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 02:32 pm
Re: Powell Says Close Gitmo
I'm just noticing how far I have strayed from Snood's thread title. I'm glad a respected Republican like Coling Powell is blowing the whistle on Guantanamo Bay. Maybe there's hope that other Republicans wake up to the problem too.
0 Replies

HokieBird

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 02:41 pm
What say we give them each a one-way ticket to Germany?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 02:47 pm
Oh don't be such a spoil sport.

Thanks for the link to the decision (and for the story). The decision is an excellent read.
0 Replies