Help with stuck window

JPB

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 07:04 am
Our back door has a screened window that opens to one of four levels: about one inch, three inches, half way, and fully open. There are sliding tabs at the bottom of the window that release the catches and allow the window to slide up and down.

A few weeks ago, the window stuck at the one inch position. We couldn't open it further or close it. Both tabs slide easily, but the window wouldn't budge. It's late spring and there's no need for heating or cooling at this point so we didn't worry about it.

Yesterday, Mr B decided to see if he could fix it and began by trying to open the window. It slid right up. It opened and closed and stopped wherever he chose to stop it. It was working fine. It was a warm day so he left it fully open. I went to close it last night and it wouldn't budge. The only thing I can think of is that there's some kind of expansion/contraction going on in the track that is keeping the catches from fully releasing when it's cool.

Any thoughts on how to fix it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,081 • Replies: 5
No top replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 07:22 am
it might be possible to just put a little olive oil on the track if it is only getting stuck due to temperature changes....

that MIGHT give it enough 'slip' to where you can keep using it..
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 08:20 am
BBB
Rub a bar of soap on the track to lubricate it.

BBB
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 11:43 am
I don't think it's the track. I think it's the catch(es) that aren't releasing completely when I slide the tabs. Sort of like a door latch that doesn't completely release from the door when you turn the knob.
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 11:44 am
WD-40?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 12:15 pm
It can't hurt. I'll give it a try.
0 Replies