Ecowater Compu-A-Save II Help

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 04:17 am
Hi All,
I am a newbie to the forums. H2O man please relpy asap. Have read posts by you and Where ever the mobile home is parked. I have the above water refinining system by Ecowater for 23 years now. It has a new computer board about 5 years ago. Unit is in very good condition. My problem is... All solenoid valves are working properly upon regeneration. The unit uses salt, and the stages of regeneration are as they should be time wise. I do not get soft water after regeneration. This was tested by an Ecowater company in Las Vegas, NV. I have found that when backwashing and using the brine water the clear tube that goes into the valve that comes from where the float is going down to the brine water has an air bubble in it and when it should be sucking the brine water into valve and tank it just seems to float the bubble back and forth about an inch or so. Should I take the salt out and clean out the float area and pipe that goes down to the brine water. Would this help? You see my decision is that when regenerating the resin beads are not getting cleaned because a lack of brine water thus resulting in hard water after regeneration. Thanks to all that reply in Advance, Gizmowiz (Bill)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,693 • Replies: 40
No top replies

H2O MAN

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 05:26 am
Any 23 year old system, no mater what brand name, is obsolete.

You are better served to upgrade to the brand new EcoWater systems.
These are modern and more efficient than a 23 year old system.

HTH ~
0 Replies

Gary Slusser

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 08:07 am
Hey Giz, H20_MAN is not much help huh.

I didn't think he would be but since you asked for him specifically AND called my MOTOR home a "mobile home"!!! ... well, ya know, THAT'S just not friendly at all. So unless ya kiss up, it looks like you'n the air bubble are on yer own.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 10:19 am
The best help that can be offered to any person in Bill's situation is for that person to invest in a modern system.
0 Replies

Gary Slusser

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 06:59 am
I disagree. You are supposed to be in the industry and here to help people with their problems. Help would be to tell him what you'd check if you showed up to fix it but... as I've said before, you replace rather than fix.

He has an air bubble in the brine line. The usual causes are: loose brine line connection in the brine tank or a suction leak at the air check/float valve.

His circuit board is only 5 years old. He already talked to the local Ecowater dealer about fixing his Ecowater and then he comes here mistakenly thinking you'll help him and you propose he "invest" maybe $3500 for a new Ecowater; an overpriced glorified Kenmore....
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 07:30 am
Rolling Eyes You are a legend in your own mind.
0 Replies

Gary Slusser

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 11:00 am
That can and will troubleshoot an air bubble in a brine line.
0 Replies

gizmowiz

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2007 04:40 am
Sorry about the mobile home mistake Gary. What do you expect at 3:17 am in the morning LOL! Anyway, I took all the salt out and clean the bottom of the tank. Removed float and the tube it is in. Took apart the float and checked inside. I think the problem was caused by the salt mushing at bottom of tank. Everything else looked good and will replace the clear tube from top of float line to valve although I took it off and pressurized it and it did not leak. Will also put on new clamps with new hose. I called Ecowater and they said Resin needs replacing as resin life they told me was 10 to 15 years. Gravel, resin and carbon will be replaced. As for the 23 yr. old system being outdated. I have a method to my madness H2O. One thing is 23 years old and still in good shape is a testamony for EcoWater systems. I think it still has 5 to 6 years more of service and thats what I am gambling on. In 5 to 6 years I will probably be selling the house with the refiner left with the house. Yea I know I can take the new one with me if I bought one, but why. When I get the new house I will be calling Ecowater to put a new system. Thanks to both of you for answering. I enjoy your posts. Bill
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2007 05:35 am
gizmowiz wrote:
I have a method to my madness H2O. One thing is 23 years old and still in good shape is a testamony for EcoWater systems.

When I get the new house I will be calling Ecowater to put a new system. Thanks to both of you for answering. I enjoy your posts. Bill

Understood.

The fact that parts are available to you is a true testament to EcoWater systems.

When parts were available I would do the same with vintage RainSoft systems locally. Those days are gone.
0 Replies

Gary Slusser

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 07:27 am
Bill, you're forgiven. If you buy the resin and gravel online, you'll pay less than through an Ecowater dealer. Delivered is about $100 per cuft.

When you put the salt tank back together, you should add 3-5 gals of water.

I suggest solar crystal salt so there is no mushing etc..

Most softeners with a Clack or Fleck control valve will go 20 years and are rebuilt for like $225 including new resin, so when you get around to buying a new softener, look at them before paying $3500 for a new Ecowater. The usual savings are $1500-2700.
0 Replies

gizmowiz

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 03:19 am
ANSWER QUICK GARY AND H20 MAN
Thanks Gary and H20 Man, Oh boy you are going to love this one. What I need from EcoWater is 10lb gravel bed, .65 cu ft. of Resin Type FM-19, and some carbon. Now the Ecowater guy in Vegas, and get this quotes me a price, of which I have to call for 3 days after the repairman and salesman are here $460.00 to replace the gravel, resin, and carbon. Now I have to reminder you that on Tuesday I did buy a RO System from them for under the sink to be installed as soon as I get a new sink and fawcett installed. Then I will call them to come out and put it in. I paid half of the total amount for the RO system on that day. Well to say the least 80.00 of the bill is for labor. I can suck it out of the resin tank in 15 minutes or less. And the rest is 380.00 for some stinking rock, and resin (6X6X7.4 inches) and a little bag of carbon. Well to say the least I am HIGHLY UPSET!. Oh boy am I hot! I am getting my check back, and they can KMA, since no equipment has been installed as of yet. I saw resin online delivered for 145.00 and that is list price FFS.

Well what do you guys say know anywhere else to get the gravel and resin so I can put it in. EcoWater will not sell to customer direct. Now that just put them on my S list. Got to go thru a dealer they say, and EcoWater has NO control over dealer pricing. I say What a Crock! I was into EcoWater now I am not so sure. Especially when they have you buy the balls on Parts and do not control their dealership prices somewhat.

Awaiting your answers my Good Men! Thanks Bill
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 05:46 am
A company needs to make a profit to stay in business.
Your local dealer is factory trained and will use the correct resin, carbon and underbedding plus stand behind the work.

If you choose to do it yourself you will be using non-factory spec media and if you make a mistake you are S.O.L. plus your total cost will rise quickly.

If you don't support your local dealer, your local dealer may not be there the next time you need him and then you are really S.O.L.
0 Replies

Gary Slusser

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 07:21 am
Bill, that is why so many people are becoming DIYers. I sell 1.0 cuft of regular mesh resin delivered for $100. Fine mesh and SST-60 resins are more. And you don't need a cuft...

Basically resin is resin and all the hype about getting the correct resin and underbedding is marketing BS from an Ecowater dealer defending his $3500 but negeotiable price for a glorified Kenmore/GE/Whirlpool/mortonsalt.com and North Star softener. The basic difference being Kenmore etc. doesn't have underbedding and a Teflon coated rotary disc, and maybe a feature like calling your phone when you need to add salt.

Although I don't suggest it, anyone can throw in some carbon on top the resin... there's 4-5 types of carbon. It will all get ground up during backwashes and flushed out of the tank (in a few years) as the particles get progressively smaller.

Other than when it was broken, has your softener always given you soft water or has it been slightly hard? I ask because there is so little resin in it.

You would be better off buying a new softener that is correctly sized for your house and family for between $600-850 using the Clack WS-1 or a Fleck valve and installing it yourself.

Why do you need an RO? You only need one if you have a contaminate in your water and RO is the best way to reduce/remove it.

If you need one, you can buy one for less than $200 at most big box stores or from me or other internet dealers. They are non-proprietary.

Most people buying an RO don't have a need for one and only want better tasting water. For that you can buy a dual drinking water filter with non proprietary 5 micron sediment and high quality carbon block cartridge filters delivered for $145 with a housing wrench and spare cartridges.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 07:29 am
Gary Slusser wrote:

You would be better off buying a new softener that is correctly sized for your house and family

Yep, that was my suggestion.

H2O_MAN wrote:
Any 23 year old system, no mater what brand name, is obsolete.

You are better served to upgrade to the brand new EcoWater systems.
These are modern and more efficient than a 23 year old system.

HTH ~
0 Replies

Gary Slusser

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 08:07 am
H2O_MAN wrote:
A company needs to make a profit to stay in business.
Your local dealer is factory trained and will use the correct resin, carbon and underbedding plus stand behind the work.

"factory trained".... "correct resin" etc. is BS but.... I hear about many local dealers across the US saying they stand behind their work until they are called to do just that and then, there's all kinds of hell to get them to take any responsibility for the problem and redo anything without MORE $$$$, or a lawsuit.

And yes, all businesses must pay the bills and make a profit but, the amount of profit per sale is the problem. Six to seven times what you pay for your glorified Kenmore softener is WAY TOO MUCH.

H2O_MAN wrote:
If you choose to do it yourself you will be using non-factory spec media and if you make a mistake you are S.O.L. plus your total cost will rise quickly.

He can't screw up pouring gravel and resin into a tank (I include a funnel) and yet if he did, he can redo it with new resin and still save a 1/3rd to half of what his local Ecowater dealer is charging. And it won't take him but an hour to an hour and a half and he's done.

H2O_MAN wrote:
If you don't support your local dealer, your local dealer may not be there the next time you need him and then you are really S.O.L.

That's laughable..., it seems Ecowater and Bill's local dealer has already lost his business due to overcharging for what they were asked about doing AND he was already their customer?

So for all the extra money he paid way back when, he gets screwed to rebuild his Ecowater softener and wants to be a DIYer.

Note who pushed him in that direction, and here you are with the 'company' line scaring him to stay with Ecowater's dealer instead.

I'll bet it doesn't work with Bill or many of all the other people that will read this in the next few months.

Any ideas as to why so many people are here reading this stuff? Hint, it isn't to find a local dealer.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 08:25 am
Best of luck to you Bill - keep us updated with results.
0 Replies

gizmowiz

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 09:12 am
Good Answers Gary and H20 Man
Well I read all the replies to my last post. Thank you both. I whole heartly agree with you Gary on everything. You see the Ecowater guy didn't have a clue as to what went in the resin tank. I GAVE HIM the information out of my original owners manual. All models 10 Lb gravel base, type of resin FM-19 at (.65 cu. ft.), and well the carbon like you said Gary will dissipate over time, but thats the nature of the beast. Only thing he knew was it was a 3ft tall resin tank, which is comparable to the Ecowater 3000. And yes Gary it was giving soft water when it was working with good resin. It is sufficient for whole house as they are only 2 of us. Ditto on your replies Gary. Yes, the EcoWater Salesman has driven me far, far away from Ecowater Systems and since the Parent Company will only sell to Dealers is another downfall of theirs. And you are every so right about the more money thing when calling them out. So Gary, you sell this stuff on your web site huh. Ok then Gary if you would please send me an email at [email protected] cause I sure want to talk business with you, or direct me to your site. I am a mechanic at a Cheese Processing Plant and am responsible for making sure all the equipment runs properly, so I think I can handle a little ole water refiner if I can get my hands on the product (gravel, resin, and carbon). Remember I have a plan posted before. Thanks for the info on the RO systems also. We have pets, and the wife wants good drinking water for them and for her Hot Tea so I am obliged on the RO system as SHE WANTS IT. Also isn't it true with any water softener than there is a small amount of salt in the water even after regeneration. Sure business have to make money to stay in business, but they do not have to gouge people to do it. Again thanks to you both, awaiting replies. Bill
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 12:07 pm
gizmowiz wrote:
I have a method to my madness H2O.
One thing is 23 years old and still in good shape is a testamony for EcoWater systems.
When I get the new house I will be calling Ecowater to put a new system. Bill

Bill,

One last thought/suggestion:

Print out this entire thread and show it to the owner of your local EcoWater dealership.
0 Replies

gizmowiz

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2007 04:30 am
Gary and H20 Man. Well my wife and I talked it over. Both of you have given excellent advise. This is the bottom line. We are done with the EcoWater guy. Mind you not our water refiner, but as for the local EcoWater guy and EcoWater themselves, Gary you are right, they have lost my trust and my business. We are going to get our parital payment check back. The equipment has not been installed as of yet, (re RO System). The quote for the gravel, resin, and carbon was way to high, especially since we WERE going to buy the overpriced RO System from them also. Well all that is in the past, over, and soon to be done with. You are right on the point that is why people come to this website. To be informed by experts and the like. I was informed and now I have more options than ever before. I thank you both for that and hope other people reading these posts get as much benefit out of them as I did. Congrats to both of you for a job well done. I will post the final outcome of both of my projects as soon as they are done. Working or not. Thanks ever so much for your time and knowledge. Very best Regards to you Both, Bill
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2007 06:32 am
gizmowiz wrote:
Gary and H20 Man. Well my wife and I talked it over. Both of you have given excellent advise... You are right on the point that is why people come to this website. To be informed by experts and the like. I was informed and now I have more options than ever before. I thank you both for that and hope other people reading these posts get as much benefit out of them as I did. Congrats to both of you for a job well done. I will post the final outcome of both of my projects as soon as they are done. Working or not. Thanks ever so much for your time and knowledge. Very best Regards to you Both, Bill

You are very welcome and best of luck with your projects Smile
0 Replies