Showtimes "The Tudors" historically inaccurate

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 04:28 am
Lightwizard wrote:
Watched two episodes and concluded this was not nearly as good as "Rome,"
even with its lapses into rewriting history.

Rome was good, altho it suffered from a distinct lack of Natalie Dormer.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 06:27 am
Steve 41oo wrote:
Setanta wrote:
The average British subject in the street may not know who Maud the Empress and Stephen of Blois were, nor "the She Wolf of France" and her lover Mortimer, nor of Henry VI and his Queen Margaret of Anjou.
I worry about this constantly.

I completely doubt your sincerity. However, i would not be surprised to learn that Mrs. Head of History would view such chavish ignorance with contempt.

(The following portion of the definition of chav from the Urban Dictionary mildly tickled my funny bone:

Chavs are for the most part, extremely stupid. However, some of them render a form of low cunning, which can be misinterpreted as intelligence. However this is false. A Chav has no desire to better themself through honest means nor learn anything outside of car modification.

All chavs think that they are nails [n.b., street slang for someone who is tough]. Again, this is false. Sitting in a beaten up nova smoking lamberts does not precipitate a healthy body. The irony being that a Chav owns mainly sportswear, yet will only break a sweat if running from the police.
)
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 12:22 pm
Setanta wrote:
Steve 41oo wrote:
Setanta wrote:
The average British subject in the street may not know who Maud the Empress and Stephen of Blois were, nor "the She Wolf of France" and her lover Mortimer, nor of Henry VI and his Queen Margaret of Anjou.
I worry about this constantly.

I completely doubt your sincerity. However, i would not be surprised to learn that Mrs. Head of History would view such chavish ignorance with contempt.

(The following portion of the definition of chav from the Urban Dictionary mildly tickled my funny bone:

Chavs are for the most part, extremely stupid. However, some of them render a form of low cunning, which can be misinterpreted as intelligence. However this is false. A Chav has no desire to better themself through honest means nor learn anything outside of car modification.

All chavs think that they are nails [n.b., street slang for someone who is tough]. Again, this is false. Sitting in a beaten up nova smoking lamberts does not precipitate a healthy body. The irony being that a Chav owns mainly sportswear, yet will only break a sweat if running from the police.
)

Laughing It stands, I believe, for Council House And Violent. (i.e. lives in low rent social housing and a vicious dimwit)

There is a property not to far from here we call Chavsworth Towers.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 01:00 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
Watched two episodes and concluded this was not nearly as good as "Rome," even with its lapses into rewriting history.

That's for damn sure.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 01:03 pm
Steve 41oo wrote:
There is a property not to far from here we call Chavsworth Towers.

Not the sort of place which one could expect to find Basil Faulty managing, eh?
0 Replies