Would you want to be nominated for "What Not to Wear"?

cyphercat

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2007 09:58 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
I just noticed the name Lee Haney above the photo. Damn! I thought that was snood.

Jeez, Gus, did you think snood would be using his real name on a2k?

The low-rise thing...honestly, the rise they recommend is really flattering for everyone I've seen on the show. I don't know why women have such a hard time giving up those awful high waisted pants, gawd. (I'm talking to you, mom... Wink ) They really aren't recommending low-rise-- they definitely have gotten on people for wearing jeans that were truly low in the rise, too.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2007 10:03 am
I'm a bellbottom, hip huggers girl myself.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2007 10:34 am
sozobe wrote:
Depends on what you mean by low-rise.

They don't like the super-low-rise that you see on teenagers -- what they like are the jeans that stop just a bit below your bellybutton. (Like, 1/2 inch, not 3 inches.) The point they made -- and I was skeptical, but it's true -- is that that waistline kind of holds in a belly, whereas if the waistline is higher, your belly (if you have one) poofs out..

we might not be thinking of the same style then.. .. I will see if I can dig up a picture of the ones I am thinking of..
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2007 11:04 am
shewolfnm wrote:
we might not be thinking of the same style then.. .. I will see if I can dig up a picture of the ones I am thinking of..

That was my point, though. That the style on the show is not the awful style (see cyphercat's post...)
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2007 11:36 am
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Lee Haney:

Make no mistake; dude can open that jar.

Yes, but can he sell you clothes? He doesn't seem to be wearing anything.
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2007 12:02 pm
I wouldn't be very offended ( a little annoyed), but I would probably decline. Do it for the person who nominated me or whatever - they probably would be more into it anyways.

Would LOVE a private non-those-people full trip around town to get cleaned up and fussed over though. Smile

It would be a waste to have me on the show anyways. I'd be difficult and ungrateful for the whole experience.
There is no way I could be bothered to keep up with the whole thing afterwards.

Makes more sense for people who need to be prettied up for their jobs and such.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2007 01:20 pm
I tend to feel the only really good part of the show is Carmindy, who seems not only sweet but like she knows what she's talking about.

I've noticed that the women chosen for makeovers tend to be easier, or at least those are the eps I've seen. After all, picking someone disabled, or grey, or a cancer patient or someone who's obese is hard. So they always, to my mind, seem to pick out women who are under 40 (although at least they are of any race), thin or average or only slightly overweight, healthy and whole. I mean, look at their hard-to-fit tips. These women are young or not too far into middle age, not super heavy and you get the idea. Perhaps there's an effort to find people who are considered to be more telegenic, plus they don't have a super-long show, but ....

It also, often, seems catty to me. After all, people put a lot of their personality into their wardrobes, and they often do it, I think, because they're trying to hold onto happy times in their lives. Not that 20-year-old clothes are always going to be wonderful and flattering, but I think a little kindness is in order. Plus there's definitely the money factor. I recently tossed a huge chunk of clothes into Goodwill (suits I haven't worn for coming up on 5 years). I estimated their value, even used, at a few thousand bucks. Even replacing them all (and I haven't, and I won't as I like the closet space) doesn't really take back the spending and how much time and trouble it took to earn the money, etc.

I just think there are ways to give people help without hurting them and without wasting so much in terms of money and, well, wasting their spirits. Dunno if that comes out right but Stacey and Clinton completely and utterly rub me the wrong way.
0 Replies

happytaffy

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 02:50 pm
i would want the clothes but would be insulted that anyone thought my awesome sense of style sucked Wink
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 05:43 pm
That's one thing about my friend though -- she's not one of those people who think they have this great style (consisting of dressing in lime green from head to dyed-to-match toe) and need to be persuaded otherwise. She doesn't have any style in particular, just marking time until she's the size she wants to be to justify spending money on clothes (since her size is changing now). Big men's t-shirts, exercise pants, comfortable sandals... that's her usual outfit, in a few different colors.

(I probably won't nominate her but will think about it some more...)
0 Replies